turn signal problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOWPRO

Reaction score
So I got this new to me 86 aspy last fall and decided to replace the timing belts before riding it this year. Thanks to all the info available here this went rather smoothly until I was putting the fairing back together and found that the turn signals wouldn't work. Again using the info here I found that they will flash if I ground the blue wire at the flasher, other than that they will not work unless the hazard switch is turned on. I think the cancel unit is the problem and I am about to just ground the flasher so I can ride and cancel them myself(if I remember). I am leaving it for the weekend and will check back Sunday night to see if anyone here has an easy fix. Thanks

Don't confuse the hazard flasher circuit with the turn signal circuit.. though they flash the lights the power for each circuit is different.. the turn signal circuit has power to the flasher then runs to the switch. The hazard runs to the switch and then to the flasher.. then they connect to the lights.. if you found the white and they flash.. you have a poor or missing ground in that circuit.. light blue wire is normally one side of the signal lights and outrage is the other side.. check the dark green wires to make sure all are clean and connected.. also look under seat to make sure they are clean there also.. you can test the lights by running a white to the green wire junction there under the seat and then to a screw if it flashed then it is a poor/missing ground..

Hi Joe thanks for the response, I do not have the systems confused they are separate as you said much like autos of that time. The wire I ground is right at the flasher and it appears to be dark blue. The switch works fine as once I ground the flasher I can activate left or right turn lights and cancel them manually. I am planning to just ground the flasher and hope to remember to cancel the signal after turning. I will check grounds under seat. thanks again

Latest posts