Update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. An thank you, I had a look at the valve under the magnifying glass Edge looks like it will seat. When I picked this bike up it only had 13.500 . Also the wife Said no sweat on the table. Just don't break it. Going to pick up a spec wrench. Somehow mine jumped out of the tool box...

i would not use a hone .... do it by hand....on oldwings because cylinders are flat the bottoms useally have more glaze and all and not even a in these conditions hone will cause damage

i was cleaning the block surface with glass and some light paper. This spot wouldn't flatten out. there is a low spot here, an looks to be where I'm guessing the sound was coming from. This is the #1 outside edge.

Now can the machine shop people Clamp this down and true it up..?
If so it would be safe to say send the heads along with it and do it as a set. ?
Bolt it back together and let it fly?

:headscratch:

Attachments

• IMG_20140614_135808.jpg
    IMG_20140614_135808.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140614_135754.jpg
    IMG_20140614_135754.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20140614_135313.jpg
    IMG_20140614_135313.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 104
I will look into setting something in the low spot. The Honing I skipped. I did polish the holes with a Cloth type wheel Low Rpm's Like none.. Went back together nice and easy Crank turns fine. Pre-lubed I will face the Piston's before head gasket's. Diesel fuel Paint brush..

What I found to be strange is the oil orifice passage piece, (around the O'ring surface to oil orifice) rustic rusty gritty-ness to it. They came out fine cleaned up okay.

Attachments

• IMG_20140614_231214.jpg
    IMG_20140614_231214.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20140614_231028.jpg
    IMG_20140614_231028.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20140615_001652.jpg
    IMG_20140615_001652.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 90
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121238#p121238:8ycvt9ht said:
Steve83 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:10 am[/url]":8ycvt9ht]
So, did you re-use the rings and bearings...did you check them for clearances..enquiring minds want to know! :read: :laptop: :popcorn: :headscratch:

Yes yes and no.

I figured I'ed leave them alone. The last set I tried to fan dangle off, they didn't want to play nice. Form a lot of other pictures posted They all seem to have the wet ring around the collar so to speak. What really told me no was the #1 with all the trouble in it. Bad spot @ the ring top coolant space. Piston Shine from the jump.. LoL Nope .. $$$$. Oh an I need a set of dowel pins that was extra. they were stuck good .. From what the engine sounded like Before this happen . I'm not worried about them really. Looks fine New to what they are PLus +1's . I'ed say it's safe to say the problem is in the carburetor. It got hot it was lean heated up blew the gasket. Them new dyna coils then this happen.

I wondered that myself. However, this engine lookes good internally, and with only one side being drilled at the factory, I'm convinced the cylinders get plenty of splash oil. Not only what's thrown off the crank journals, but the transmission gears are spinning in the oil sump, throwing oil everywhere. If you've ever left the timing mark cap off and run the engine, you know there's plenty of oil being flung around inside the crankcase.

Hello all. I want to let you all know I did pick up another engine for my bike. I got it Thursday. Unsure what kind of condition it is inside but will open it soon. I'm also getting 1more engine next pay along with the rest of the parts I need. This job I have allows me to spend what I want on the OldWing. So have a super weekend will keep you posted Still looking for a tool tray for the 78. Any leads here let me know :laptop:

Here is the engine all wrapped up. The outside covers had oil leaking down the valve covers on both sides. So I'm sure it was ran low on oil a time or 2. So I amagine the bearings are worse for wear. I am going to pick up another one just as soon as I get my next weeks check an put one of them in an take the parts from the original one an make a complete one. I didn't want to run the engine with the low spot on the block I was going to take it to a machine shop, But with my work it is impossible to do. So I will take all three and make up One good one. I was thinking of going with a single barrel carb. I have yet to look to see it the 32DFT has been completely had all the bugs worked out. Well that's it for now hope everyone has had a good weekend an week. The weather down here is starting to turn for the best.. Thank's for all your support..

Attachments

• 20141005_111534.jpg
    20141005_111534.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 140