USA 4 Corners Tour

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday 9/27/19 Las Vegas to San Ysidro CA to Yuma AZ 521 miles
After a day of rest in Sin City aka Las Vegas we departed at 5:30am with the plan to hit San Bernardino about 9am to miss the morning rush hours and before the lunch bunch.
Traffic was surprisingly heavy leaving Las Vegas and the highway in NV was 6 lanes. As we approached the CA boarder we could see the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System. Hugh arrays of mirrors that reflect sunlight to heat a target mounted on a large tower which then creates steam to power generators. There are 3 of these and with early morning light they were kinda eerie. There are also high winds warnings, I suppose those Solar generators create quite a bit of updraft on a sunny day.
There was thick fog ascending the San Gabriel Mountains. There was also the smell of smoke occasionally. Once in the LA basin we took the I-215 which ran further east and it was a good choice. The traffic was pretty light by LA standards. The 215 then rejoined I-15 well south of LA. San Diego has grown so much since I was training down there in the USN. Plus I always arrived via I-5 not I-15. There were many USN ships in Coronado and Donna saw a Zumwalt Class destroyer which are built in Bath Maine.
We got the San Ysidro USPS picture and a gas receipt pretty quick and were headed east bound by before noon. Then back over the mountains and into the desert. It had been nice cool 60-70 degF but once we hit the desert it jumped to 90F. Also the descent to the central valley were the worst wind gusts.
The valley desert run was very boring, not much to see. Arrived in Yuma and had a late lunch at 2:40pm at the Applebees next to the hotel. Somewhere along this route we hit -84ft elevation.

Attachments

• DSCN3999.jpg
    DSCN3999.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 97
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213685#p213685:21bs8113 said:
dan filipi » Today- 14:04[/url]":21bs8113]
Kind of neat to see these places you've stopped at that Ive visited also.. Vegas is an interesting place like no other.

I'm not a gambler. My wife introduced me to Las Vegas years ago and I find just people watching to be pretty darn interesting :) But I'm sad to see the Pirate battle is no more :(

Saturday 9/28/19 Yuma Az to El Paso Tx, 549 miles
Up early again and on the road by 5:30am. It was warm this morning, my electric vest is a distant memory. Dark for the first hour then the sun raised over the low mountains dead ahead. Quick stop at a rest area for a tinted face shield and sunglasses. Next stopped in Gila Bend AZ for fuel and a leisurely McDonalds breakfast, slow to allow the sun to raise further. Gila Bend reminds me of some 50/60s horror movie of giant Gila monsters over running a southwestern town. :0

I’ve been across I-10 through the desert several times over my life the most recent was about 18 years ago. And it’s not what I remember. The most amazing thing to me was the light shade of green of the desert. I assume all the irrigation for the massive farms and orchards of pistachios and pecans are actually changing the local climate, at least along I-8/I-10 through AZ and New Mexico.

Also just outside of Yuma there was a Boarder Patrol check station, we were just waved through. I suppose two pasty whites on a Maine tagged motorcycle doesn’t set off the illegal alien alarms. Also saw several boarder patrol vehicles on the highway and running on trails near the boarder.

We saw another solar hot water station along the route and was venting steam at 7 in the morning. This station wasn’t nearly as big as those along I-15 in CA.

El Paso was kinda nuts but found the hotel easily enough. But 15 minutes after parking the bike is was swarmed with tiny honey brown ants, holy shi%! I tracked them to the nest about 3 parking spaces away. I killed/brushed away as many as I could and moved the bike across the lot about 30ft away. I don’t have any food on the bike, just some power bars in a baggie in the tank bag which comes off every night. I suppose this giant new object with all kinds of interesting twists and turns it something very interesting to an ant colony. My guess is after a couple days they would leave it alone mostly. I pity any cager with all the food debris in the typical car parking here.

Attachments

• FHD0001.JPG
    FHD0001.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN4000.jpg
    DSCN4000.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 78
Sunday 9/29/19 El Paso Tx to Seguin Tx 582miles
Departed again at 5:30am. Was hoping to make it to our first gas/breakfast stop in Van Horn before complete sunrise but didn’t. Sun in the eyes for at lest 30 miles. Not too long after sunrise the winds began to get serious. Winds dominated the day. We took one stop at a rest area just to rest. These were probably the worst but since the road was basically straight and flat there wasn’t much danger. Slowing down to about 62mph made the winds much more tolerable. Also since the winds were from the south and we are heading basically east, when cruising in the right lane Semi trucks pass downwind so no extra turbulence, yeah! We made our 1st Rest Area stop of the trip to actually "rest" from the winds, but there wasn’t much shelter. If there had been a hotel nearby I would have checked in and waited for evening. But this stop was pretty much the definition of middle of no-where.

Arrived at the Holiday Inn about 5:30pm. I then went on a futile search for an auto parts store. Looking for spark plugs, figure after about 6k miles they may be due. And it’s hard to pin down but the bike seems to have a very slight stumble at parking lot speeds but other wise is running great. Dinner was take out from Chillies next door to the hotel.
High temp was 100degF in downtown San Antonio, I believe this is out first 100deg day.

Attachments

• DSCN4024.jpg
    DSCN4024.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN4023.jpg
    DSCN4023.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN4010.jpg
    DSCN4010.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 76
Monday 9/30/19 Seguin Tx to Gulfport MS 556miles
We departed the Holiday Inn & Express under clouds of rain and shortly hit the rain. Rain wasn’t too hard and didn’t last long but the clouds hung in until near Houston Tx. We loved the clouds and the rain as it kept the temperers down. We are downing quarts of liquids and very little pee. We hit downtown Houston about 10am and it went pretty easily there were a couple carpool HOV2 lanes which helped. The terrain east of Houston was pretty boring but there were not the crazy winds from yesterday which was a blessing. Going through Louisiana we cross the Telievehe Atchafalaya Basin Bridge which is 18.2 miles long is an impressive feat of engineering.
Traffic was unexpectedly heavy in Baton Rouge and we took I-12 around New Orleans.

Another hot, hot day, I saw high 90’s on the little bike thermometer. Drank two large bottles of Gatorade and water.
The Sleep Inn in Gulfport MS just off I-10 is in a very screwy location, must make a u-turn in a restaurant parking lot to get to this place. Had takeout salads from Texas Roadhouse but had to cross RR tracks to get to the Restaurant. The local government really screwed this hotel when they made a no turn barrier on the side street.

Tuesday 10/1/19 Gulfport MS to Kissimmee Fl 579 miles, total trip to date: 7,573miles
This morning we departed a bit earlier 5:03am to get through Mobile AL before rush hour. Success! Actually there was only one big backup and that was on I-10 east of Pensacola, The interstate was closed due to an accident. Traffic was stopped, we ran up the shoulder an a sedate speed and took exit 70 where everyone was being forced off the interstate. It did seem the LEOs could have done a better job directing traffic. We then detoured onto US90 for a dozen miles. After this event I-10, I-75 and the FL turnpike were pretty boring.

The only “excitement” was whether my NC Quik Pass was working with FL Sun Pass. It seemed to work once then unknown on the final exit. Staying at a Quality Inn with dinner at a Denny’s right next door. Planning the attack on Key west !!! And the bike was attacked by tiny black ants this time.

When you read this log. Please be kind.

Wednesday 10/2/19 Kissimmee Fl to Jacksonville FL 0miles, 162 via flat tow.
Awake at 5:00am breakfast in the hotel at 6 ready to ride at 6:30, but……the bike will not start. :(
Battery shows 13.1VDC in Accessory and 12.5VDC in run but after short spin, almost start, it’s dead showing 11vdc or so. Turned off then a few minutes later battery showing 13.1vdc again, but this time no spin. I get it in my head this is a starter problem. Call GEICO first ask for a jump but they will not do that so I talk towing. They will free tow 75miles. There is a Central FL Power Sports near by but they are closed and I can’t wed through the voice menu for find store hours, gee Im so glad we’ve replaced people with machines. We also have no net to find hours of operation. Then ask about tow to my mothers home in Jax. I would have to pay 92miles at $4.45/mile total of $409.40. Holy cow, I had my Miata towed last year in Maine for half that price. After mulling over the options it seems getting the bike in my mothers garage seems about even in the end for cash and the unknown starter possible and unknown where a Honda dealer might been and the odds of them having a starter for a 32 year old bike.

Tow arrived about 9:40am. Took a bit of time to figure a proper strap down, then on the road.
Once at moms I browed her Honda Fit and ran battery up to O’Reilly Auto Parts to have the battery load tested. Battery failed, it’s no good. Fortunately O’Reilly had a replacement in stock. Bought and installed a new battery and spark plugs. The new battery reads 12.7vdc in accessory and 12.4vdc in run, but this time the bike cranks strong and starts!
Part of me is happy and part sad. I really though the starter was the problem. I can just assume the failure of AGM battery is different from old school lead-acid. Happy no starter removal/install and hundreds more for a replacement

Attachments

• DSCN4025.jpg
    DSCN4025.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN4026.jpg
    DSCN4026.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 103
Friday 10/4/19 Jax Fl to Key West to Marathon Key Fl 562 miles, total to date 8157.8miles, 216gallons of gas.
Official: USA 4 Corners is DONE!
The alarm went off at 4:30am and we were on the road but 5:15am heading south on I-95. We jumped on to the FL Turnpike Jupiter FL but could not tell if the SunPass function of the transponder worked. Then we go off and back on but used the cash lane and it issued a ticket instead of reading the SunPass :( The rest of the ride to US1 in the Keys was uneventful.
Once on US 1 things slowed down. People just can’t maintain the speed limit or even a constant speed, very frustrating.
Once in Key West is was still the crazy mess it’s always been. Drunks everywhere, people and randomly crossing the street, scooters and just to top it off the local trolly buses.
We got the USPS picture but parking in a bus pickup zone, Donna jumped off quick pic and rolling again.
Oh and we got rained on again so all four corners involved rain. Nasty looking storm cells but no lightning. But it cleared by Key West but large puddles/flooding. High temps and high humidity. We were thinking of a picture with the southern most point marked but there was a line of a least 100 people queued up. The heck with that back up the keys to Marathon for the night at the Holiday Inn. Dinner was McDs.

Attachments

• DSCN4064.jpg
    DSCN4064.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN4059.jpg
    DSCN4059.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN4030.jpg
    DSCN4030.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 102
I can just assume the failure of AGM battery is different from old school lead-acid.

That has been my experience. My AGM battery ran strong for 5 years. And then suddenly, one day after a normal start, it could even make the starter budge. $99 and now 2 years later that battery is till putting out.

4 Corner Statistics
Days Travel Madawaska ME->Blaine WA->San Ysidro CA->Key West FL Sep 17, 2019 to Oct 4, 2019 ———18 Days

Total Cost (not including Goldwing preparations just travel days but includes some cost to/from home and tow)
$ 3,389.04

Sub Totals Actual from Madawaska to Key West not to/from home.
Gasoline: $ 598.91, total gallons: 208.045
Average Cost $ 2.879/gal
Highest Gasoline Cost $ 4.599 at Shell , Baker CA
Lowest Gasoline Cost $ 2.089 in Jenning LA
Average Fuel Economy 37.8mpg, highest 48.7mpg between Panaca NV and Hiko NV. Lowest 29.4mpg between Wolf Point MT and Malta NT

Hotels:$ 1,326.79 Average Hotel Cost: $ 88.45 15 nights, 2 free in Las Vegas, 2 at mothers in Jax
Mileage: ODO Start Madawaska ME 25,555.8, Finish Key West FL 33,420.3, 7,864.5 miles total
Subtract about 160miles from an actual 4 cCorners distance due to tow back north to Jax.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213716#p213716:11ji8v0a said:
mcgovern61 » Today- 10:49[/url]":11ji8v0a]
I can just assume the failure of AGM battery is different from old school lead-acid.

That has been my experience. My AGM battery ran strong for 5 years. And then suddenly, one day after a normal start, it could even make the starter budge. $99 and now 2 years later that battery is till putting out.

This was my first AGM death. The bike typically starts VERY quickly, unlike my cold blooded bitch BMW which... well I wont get into now.
The day before the death I had not noticed any start issue and like I said the volts seemed good. I really thought something was pulling down the battery in start/run mode. Well I learned an expensive lesson, but I have learned :)
My concern is the voltage regulator in the Wing is set to about 14.7vdc float which means unless I'm riding in the deep south that is too high a charge voltage and is going to shorten the life of this $100 battery. :(

Great trip and ride report. :good: :thanks:
I prefer AGMs for my motorcycle batteries and don’t mind the collapsing issue if they have given good service. It maybe just my impression that they are less likely to have a collapsed cell that normal flooded batteries.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213743#p213743:3vptnq7x said:
Ansimp » 2019-10-12- 2:51[/url]":3vptnq7x]
Great trip and ride report. :good: :thanks:
I prefer AGMs for my motorcycle batteries and don’t mind the collapsing issue if they have given good service. It maybe just my impression that they are less likely to have a collapsed cell that normal flooded batteries.

yeah, AGM have their advantages, e.g. no acid drops in the frame&exhaust. But that sudden death is scary on a long trip. I mean if it had died in Ely, Panaca or Hiko Nevada we would have been completely Royally Screwed :doh: . Heck I did a trip to Happy Valley-Goose Bay Labrador Canada many years ago and out there it was even more remote then Ely. A buddy crashed his bike on that muddy mess jokingly called "Trans-Labrador HIGHWAY" and we were scrounging the junk yard in Churchill Falls to get his bike running again.

Next time I depart on an extended journey replacing the AGM will be right there with oil&filter.

We are settled in back home in Maine! I did track the majority of the trip using SpotWalla . If you would like to see the route..
https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=BMWSailor

There is some missed date in Montana at Glacier and spurious data in Florida and Maryland

SpotWalla is pretty cool and I use it for verification on IronButt rides. Just need a GPS equipped iPad or iPhone. It may work with android. I use an old iPad2 which I leave plugged into my tank bag "power center". The code on the device, SWConnect, will buffer GPS data until a WiFi or phone network is available.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213709#p213709:amu1gqjj said:
OldCrow » October 11th, 2019, 8:38 am[/url]":amu1gqjj]
Battery shows 13.1VDC in Accessory and 12.5VDC in run but after short spin, almost start, it’s dead showing 11vdc or so. Turned off then a few minutes later battery showing 13.1vdc again, but this time no spin. I get it in my head this is a starter problem. Call GEICO first ask for a jump but they will not do that so I talk towing.

It used to be most people have jumper cables and would freely provide a jump.

Guess that's one of the skills that the general population has lost.

Latest posts