use dextron in carb or not

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Reaction score
hey im pulling my carbs to clean and ckeck them should i use dextron ATF to soak them i really think my floats are to hi so i have to do it anyway one more question my pilot scews are to lean and richin the idle adjustment but it also when adjusted right when u ride the bike there should be no hesitation at any speed it should imeadyitly respond to throttle correct thank u all :swoon:

Any ATF should do. Air/fuel mix should be set for highest rpm at each carb one at a time. Hesitation can also come from ignition timing. Stuck or sticking mechanical advancer or bad vacuum advance. You might want to check wet level of the float bowls.

I had the idea to check them when they're out.
I think the fuel level could be checked with a clear tube attached to the drain screw.
Gas level in the tube will be the bowl level.
I've never done this myself.

The last time I had the carbs out I filled them then removed the bowls.
Correct fuel level is just below the bowl gasket

If you check them before you put the slides on you can also see the fuel level in the jet where the needles go, and see that they are all the same level. If you have fuel running out of any of them either the level is way off or you have a needle and seat leaking. Always a good idea to check this off the bike to save you from having to remove them again to fix.

rocketman":2oj3xmyo said:
Thank u I will try. That
rocketman, don't feel to bad about having to take those carbs out again, I swear I took those silly things out 30 times or so before I got everything just right, sometimes just to have a look cause I could...good luck...