using atf in wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve84

Reaction score
some one convince me on the use of atf in my wing. never heard of this but sounds logical. what does it do. would it cause it to smoke. how much do you use ? and how often do you use it? thnx steve84

I tried it, but the results were not as good as I expected. ATF has a lot of detergents in it to wash away the clutch materials in the automatic transmissions. Maybe I did not use enough to get the results I wanted. It does seem as if you have carbon under the rings between the rings and pistons, it would help there. That is if you install enough as fuel fill up. I only used it a couple of times. Some of the guys here have used it a great deal, and have reported good results.

What we really need to know is what are you trying to achieve, or what results are you looking for?

its especially good at keeping good stock carbs clean an reversing the effects of crap modern day gas ....that just destroys motorcycle carbs and there small passages ....6-8 oz is what is recommended ..really dirty bikes will smoke lot while getting clean and you may have to adjust the amount to keep it from smoking ...useally it will smoke some if its sat awhile on start up ...but its all good for a oldwing with no discounts

ATF is not a miracle go fast additive. These bikes were made when gas was leaded. The lead was to lubricate during combustion. ATF use replaces that to a point and helps keep the fuel passages clean. Which will give overall performance a little boost. 6-8 oz of ATF in a full tank of fuel. Every 5 gallons will often smoke a little on start up but will clear once the bike has warmed.

my main goal is to give the old girl every advantage she can have.she runs fine just wondering if i am missing something she needs

ATF in the fuel has no downside except the additional cost. It will not harm gaskets or O rings or foul plugs. It also makes a decent fuel stabilizer.

Lead was added to gasoline to control combustion not as a lubricant. As a general rule I don't place much faith in ANY fuel additive. I'll run a tank of 91-93 octane every so often which is all most fuel additives are, octane boosters. Best way I've found to keep my carbs clean and the carbon cleaned out is to take it up to red line a couple of times each time I take it out. If it wasn't built to run that fast they wouldn't have marked it so high. The fastest way to kill one of these old bikes or any high RPM motor is to dog it around. I never like to let my RPM's drop below 2100-2500 when I'm riding. What gear you are in has nothing to do with speed only with RPM's

My 1100 had close to 300K miles on the clock, she was very tired. I was a hard sell on the ATF, but after I started using it in every tank the old girl started running better and better until I had to sell her. Joe has said this in the past and I can confirm it, the bike ran like it had bad gas if I didn't put the ATF in every tank. The benefits are that noticeable. I now use it in my 1500.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98843#p98843:ruu5ntab said:
mstspot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm[/url]":ruu5ntab]
Lead was added to gasoline to control combustion not as a lubricant. As a general rule I don't place much faith in ANY fuel additive. I'll run a tank of 91-93 octane every so often which is all most fuel additives are, octane boosters. Best way I've found to keep my carbs clean and the carbon cleaned out is to take it up to red line a couple of times each time I take it out. If it wasn't built to run that fast they wouldn't have marked it so high. The fastest way to kill one of these old bikes or any high RPM motor is to dog it around. I never like to let my RPM's drop below 2100-2500 when I'm riding. What gear you are in has nothing to do with speed only with RPM's
Okay I stand corrected on lead not being a lubricant. However biodiesel has less BTU than diesel yet drivers using it report more power. This can only be from the added lubricity of biodiesel over diesel. ATF does much the same mixed with gasoline as will two cycle oil or MMO. ATF has a higher concentration of detergents than most fuels and oils so keeps the system clean. Yes there are plenty of fuel additives to clean but they do it rather harshly and some even destroy seals. ATF does not. Run without it if you like. I personally put in all my vehicles. Including the yard tractor.

some people just know everything ...sheeeesh you think adding to gas is not a big deal .. write the gov there adding motor killing crap gmo worthless for food or gas corn ...sheesh the fuel is complete crap atf helps to stop this crap fuel from trashing the oldwings ...people just gum flapping trying to your point here this forum has yrs of use of doing this ...to each there own

There is something to the bad gas thing. Our Infiniti has started pinging again just as we switched to "winter" gas blends around mid September. There was no pinging this summer.

In case you're wondering the car is in good working order, no codes come up when checked.

~O~

However it works, using ATF DOES work in fuel....it makes my '81 run smoother, and it do give it a little more seat-o-the-pants power on the road. I don't use it all the time, because I forget to keep my bottle full, but when I do, it definitely makes a difference. Haven't seen any downsides at all, other than a slight whisp of smoke on cold startups. :good:

btw...lead is used as BOTH a lubricant(for upper end/valve seats), and to help control combustion temps, by raising the octane of the fuel. :yes:

I put a qt of ATF in my car fuel every other fill up. I tend to refill at about 1/2 tank or sometimes 1/4 tank. I never noticed any smoking but then again I never really looked either.

I started using it in my gas for the GW the last time this was discussed. Seems to run smoother & no longer get the "Sputtering" from the slides sticking. I don't use it religiously in my other vehicles like I do the wing but add it once in a while.

Plus if it helps to extend the life of old parts I'm all for it.

I am on my 6th tank and haven't seen an improvement in gas mileage BUT, I do notice that it idles better when the motor is cold. Never have had a problem when the motor is warm, but during a cold start I always had to use the choke. Now I am starting without the choke unless it is cold outside. As far as smoke on start-up, yeah for a quick puff, but it goes away quickly.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98944#p98944:2fv1aw4x said:
brianinpa » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm[/url]":2fv1aw4x]
I am on my 6th tank and haven't seen an improvement in gas mileage BUT, I do notice that it idles better when the motor is cold. Never have had a problem when the motor is warm, but during a cold start I always had to use the choke. Now I am starting without the choke unless it is cold outside. As far as smoke on start-up, yeah for a quick puff, but it goes away quickly.
Yup, that is an indication that there are carb problems going on. You should see at least a 3 MPG increase after 2 tanks of gas. The engine should also sound significantly quieter at idle when hot.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99002#p99002:15cumpd3 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 am[/url]":15cumpd3]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98944#p98944:15cumpd3 said:
brianinpa » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm[/url]":15cumpd3]
Yup, that is an indication that there are carb problems going on. You should see at least a 3 MPG increase after 2 tanks of gas. The engine should also sound significantly quieter at idle when hot.

I know, I know... I am just broke after buying the 1200. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99027#p99027:3ntchscd said:
brianinpa » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 am[/url]":3ntchscd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99002#p99002:3ntchscd said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 am[/url]":3ntchscd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98944#p98944:3ntchscd said:
brianinpa » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm[/url]":3ntchscd]

I know, I know... I am just broke after buying the 1200. :smilie_happy:
Are you asking for sympathy?? I told you I could have saved you a lot of money by letting me buy the bike!! :whip: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts