Vanishing trick.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that often parts dropped in and around the gauge cluster area seem to jump into another dimension. Last night I was trying a different bulb in my temp/fuel gauge when I fumbled and let the machine screw drop. It sounds just like a game of Plinko but the screw didn't come out :head bang:

This isn't the first time parts have jumped dimensions on me here so I wasn't totally surprised. After extensive looking, prodding, compressed air blasting, and magnet wielding I decided out of desperation to use a pop rivet as a sacrifice. On the third time playing plinko it too disappeared in front of my eyes and I was none the wiser. Next I used a large chrome nut and tried terribly hard to keep track of where it went but again it disappeared out of sight.

At this point, after having dropped all these parts somewhere in the bike I had no choice but to pull the seat, lower fairing, shelter, air box, carb covers :rant:

I eventually found the pop rivet and the nut but the machine screw is now an offering to mother Honda. 3 hours later I'm back to where I started. I'm going to magnetize my screwdriver and start to hunt for a source of metric screws. :head bang:

Jorg

You'll find all of those parts/fasteners in the same place you'll find all of the socks that go missing from the dryer. Look around for a tall tree, with an opening at the bottom. Inside, you will find a family of Elves....and all of your stuff....and probably some of MY stuff, too.... :head bang:

:mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the law of physics that requires ANYTHING I drop to immediately bounce out of sight and either back under something I have to get on my knees to find and reach, or behind something that takes me two hours to find?
Brian in NM

I don't know how it happens but whenever I drop something small like a screw or clip it will either end up 30 feet away from where I dropped it or lodged under one of the tires making me move the car or bike to get it back.
I swear there has got to be other forces at work here!

I can't count how many times this has happened to me...Funny stuff... :clapping: :smilie_happy: the only thing funnier is a guy or gal talking to it as their trying to find what they lost in the Goldwings blackhole.. :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":pb73eb3u said:
I can't count how many times this has happened to me...Funny stuff... :clapping: :smilie_happy: the only thing funnier is a guy or gal talking to it as their trying to find what they lost in the Goldwings blackhole.. :smilie_happy:

Yeah, I was doing a lot of "talking".

Jorg

Seems most of what I drop fits in the vanishing category. Regardless of where I am. Worse though is the stuff I put "right here" so I can have it handy when I need it. If I could just remember where "right here" is??? :sensored: :head bang: :rant: :hihihi:

How many times have you looked for a screwdriver, wrench, KEYS, or even a part, for an hour, only to finally discover it is in your HAND? For some reason, that happens to me a lot....sometimes. :sensored:

I just had something like this happen today. I was fitting a new screw for my rearview mirror with the bench grinder when it was suddenly snapped out of my hand and wisked away into the twilight zone. I must have heard it ricochet off of 12 different things before landing deftly on the floor. I never did find that screw, which was a pity because it was a nice stainless steel one. My shop floor is clean now though...

:smilie_happy: btdt!!

I was working on the front end of an old Chrysler one time years ago. The little circlip that holds the torsion bar in the frame had fallen on the floor, and I looked all over for that dang thing. Couldn't find it anywhere. Next day, one of the other guys came up and asked me if I ever found the clip I was looking for. I said No. He then lifts up his foot, and there, on the bottom of his shoe, was my clip! It had stuck to it the previous day when he walked by, apparently. He only noticed it when he put his shoes on that morning at the shop, and heard a "click-click" when he walked.... :Awe:
Now, that's one of the first things I do when I lose something small...look on the bottoms of my shoes! :smilie_happy:

Latest posts