vetter cycle sound question.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
I have a cycle sound and want to upgrade the electronics. I know that I need more power because I lose the audio at much over 55mph. I don't have a lot of cash and I am not sure where to start. I think I need more power so the speakers don't distort so soon. I have looked at Pyle systems as well. Can I add an amp, do I need new speakers? Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

What do you have now? Have you looked at Boss Audio? Boss has the same power output for half the price of Pyle - that is the way I am leaning for my 1200.

The biggest problem with the cycle sound system is the 4" speakers. It is hard to drive a lot of high quality sound through those small speakers, so buying a better pair of speakers is probably going to help also: adding additional speakers may help also. I have a cheap pair of Wally-World speakers but I also added a pair of 1" tweeters to the side of the cycle sound pod to help with the sound. Does it? Maybe a little. I really only loose sound when I am rolling above 80 on the high-ways.

I am anxious to see what I come up with when I get my Rooster fairing mounted as the fairing will increase the size of the speaker box and it should help amplify the sound.

Adding good speakers is a must! I upgraded mine to a marine Sony AM/FM/CD iPod that is 55w per channel and I can hear my music well up at 70 MPH! (It even has a remote that I mounted on the faux tank)

image.php

So it sounds like I need a new radio with more power. Sounds like I need at least 55w per channel. Can I buy an amp and add to the existing radio? If I need to upgrade the speakers how do I know the difference between good ones and not good ones.

Marine speakers work good. They are nearly waterproof. My speakers are made by Infinity and I have been real pleased with them for the last 5 years.

Price isn't always the determining factor. There are some really inexpensive powerful speakers on the market that will work. It's best to get something stronger than the max rating of your stereo. A 60 watt stereo has a max power of 240 watts, so the stronger the better, otherwise you will blow the speakers by constantly riding around at a high volume setting when at freeway speeds.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110125#p110125:5n2clfdv said:
tuna » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm[/url]":5n2clfdv]
Could I add an amplifier in order to keep my stero and just upgrade my speakers.
Yes you could. Are there any local automotive audio shops around you that could give advice for the right amp?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110142#p110142:1hn6ee8k said:
tuna » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:20 pm[/url]":1hn6ee8k]
Yes but they would expect me to buy the amp from them. I think I could buy one from Pyle or Boss for a lot less.

Best Buy seems to have semi-intelligent employees... No need to buy from them.

If it helps, I made this out of mine last year, decided I needed sounds working on it rather than riding it, the new speakers cost about $40, 100w, neoprene cone gaskets and magnets almost as big as the speakers, I can turn this thing way up with no distortion at all.

Attachments

• Portable radio1.jpg
    Portable radio1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 182
Yes I too like the enclosure that Craftsman above has. Mine is a clone except there is not a spot for the antenna. I have a cable that runs to the antenna that is back next to my passenger backrest. I would prefer it be up front.

I too had considered making my unit into a portable unit for the garage only. I am torn on what to do. I have an underpower unit that would probably cost $250 worth of upgrades to work just OK. I had considered an MP3 player but headphones seem to really make your ears much less effective at hearing car horns and engine noise even if they are off but still in your ears.