Water pump/front cover refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well....maybe next time, fellers. I done got the front put back together. I checked the fit of the wp shaft into that seal, and it was quite snug. So...I went ahead and re-assembled the front end of the engine this morning. Got the front cover/wp installed, and the shroud behind the fan/radiator. Then I stopped for the day, to spend some time with my Goldwing Widow, who has been very patient lately. I'll finish up tomorrow with the timing belts, and radiator, and I should be ready to fire it up. Gotta get some oil and coolant first. I do have a quart of radiator flush I'm gunna run thru it before I put any antifreeze in, so I can flush all of the oil out of the cooling system. I'll put 1/2 in, run it till it gets good and hot(operating temp), then drain/fill it again.
This is assuming it will still actually run, and it don't look like a garden sprinkler....

Me too, Beav....me too.... :smilie_happy:

Well fellers, here's the latest. I got the front end back on yesterday. Today, I got the timing belts on, adjusted the valves 15 times, hooked up the exhaust, and installed the radiator/hoses/coolant reservoir. I also got all of the chrome stuff back on...crash guards and floorboards. I was ready to head out to the parts house to get oil, plugs, and coolant, and it come a turd floater here....rained super hard for aboot an hour. I figured p-on it....I just picked up all me tools and put everything up, pulled the geerage door down, and came inside. Guess I'll get me some erl and stuff tomorrow, and try tomorrow evening to see if this turd is gunna run....ever again.

I do has a question aboot anti-freeze. I looked at some yesterday at the parts house, but dint get any, because NONE of what I saw said anything aboot having/not having silicates....and my understanding is I do NOT want antifreeze with silicates...correct? Now...I am gunna flush the cooling system a couple of times(to get the oil residue out of the engine block) before I put in the good coolant, so I think I'll get a gallon of the pre-mixed stuff for that. But....what particular brand/type of coolant do youse guys use? If it doesn't specify on the container if it is/is not silicate-free, how the hell am I s'posed to know? It had a pink colored coolant in it before...I assume that was Honda stuff, but don't know fer sher...
Any recommendations? :thanks:

And..I took a couple of pics of my timing marks on both sides...

Timing marks look good but also be certain they are at that point while the crank is at T1.

I use 50/50 antifreeze so I don't have to deal with measuring and buying distilled water.

Attachments

• 1342393226858.jpg
    1342393226858.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 129
Sounds like it was some sorta Honda Extended life coolant. Make darn sure your system is flushed if going with a green mix. They dont hold much, so a cup hiding somewhere is enough to gel the system up

:hihihi: sounds like the GMO food labling scam ...where the mangod corporation dont want to show that food products are not natural food of the earth ....maybe the antifreeze gods took the lableing of silicates off to deny oldwingers the right to to get the antifreeze they want ..... :Awe: :mrgreen:

:yes: Otay! One of me Caderacks has the Northstar, all 'luminuminum engine, so I guess I'll just use the same antifreeze I use in it. Just wanted to make sure I dint screw something else up... :thanks:

:Awe: :head bang: :rant: :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: :rant: :mischief: :head bang: :sensored:

Well....I got the coolant and some Rotella erl. Came home, ate supper, and went out to werk on this turd. Poured the erl in, screwed the plugs in and got my fancy-schmancy coolant puttin in tool. This thing draws a vacuum in the cooling system, then sucks the coolant in, easy peasy, no muss, no fuss.

And theeeeeen....... :rant:

I'm so pizzed right now I cain't see straight.....I went ahead and fired it up, anyway. It fired after cranking for aboot 8 seconds. Other than a massive exhaust leak on the right side, it actually sounded good. After running for a couple of minutes, I revved it up a few times, and everything worked fine. Still pizzed.....

And now....

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: LOL you had me going there for a minute -had to look through your gallery to see if you had soft bags !! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I MEANT THE SADDLE BAGS ON HIS BIKE

It's leaking out the weep hole, Ron... :Awe:

Even tho I was extremely careful when installing the pump into the front cover, I apparently cut the f-in o-ring around the outside of the pump. It's either that, or the f-in new pump I bought has a bad ceramic seal on it. Either way, it has to come back apart to fix. I'm not real sure I wanna f with it anymore....seriously. :sensored:
I brought the old wp to work with me today, to see if I could find an o-ring that would work. Believe it or not, I found the exact o-ring I need in a Mercedes kit(transmission). Same diameter(a wee bit smaller, but not much), and the same cross-section(thickness). So I loaded up on them, just in case I ever decide to rip this pos back apart to fix it. For now, it's gunna sit right where it is and rot, for all I care. :rant:

AApple":31qkytco said:
It's leaking out the weep hole, Ron... :Awe:
DUH! Ok, I see that now. :head bang: Well, you do transmissions so I know you're rehearsed at installing o-rings. I suppose it still leaks after running the engine? I've seen water pumps leak from the hole only when they stop at a certain position. Of course, that would be cause for replacement.

Dang, you sure make our bikes look bad! :hihihi:

There are two o-rings on the pump, and then there is the ceramic seal on the impeller shaft itself.
The rear-most o-ring seals the wp to the housing/cover. If simply fits around the water pump, and butts up against the housing/front cover. If it leaks, you'll get oil out the weep hole.
The front o-ring seals the water pump itself to the housing/front cover. It sits in a groove machined into the waterpump. The weep hole is directly behind this o-ring, so if the front o-ring is cut/leaks, coolant will go directly out the weep hole...it does not pass go, and it does not collect $200...
If the ceramic seal on the impeller shaft leaks, it will also run right out the weep hole, same as a Chevy/Ferd/Chrysler water pump. I think it would take longer for it to leak, tho...this leaked as soon as it got coolant in it, like there was NO o-ring on it at all...not just a little drip, either...a full bore gush.
It was still running out the hole after I ran the engine. I also thought maybe it needed to run some to "Seat" the ceramic seal, but.....I don't think that's the problem....I'm 99.99% sure the friggin o-ring is cut. I took my time installing the pump into the housing, used plenty of assembly lube(grease), and pushed it in as straight as it could without bending any of the impeller blades.
I don't know who did it, but I sure wish whoever put this dam curse on my 'Wing(and ME) would take it off...I've learned my lesson..... :read:

dan filipi":my06vvpb said:
Seems to me leaking that bad with all the care you took putting it in the pump seal must be bad.
Was the pump from Honda?

If the leak from the seal really is all that bad, wouldn't there be some play in the pump shaft?
I don't know - just a thought. :?: :popcorn: :?:

there is no doutb this is new territory ...im not sure of this being waterpump now ...thats huge leak ...i cant see it being that bad ...ive never seen one that bad new ...maybe joel right on o ring...i dont know ....its not out the weep hole right ....then it has to be behind that ....thats all i can think of at the moment ....could you pressurize it and force it to leak without running ....maybe that will show something .....gee this is getting rough on joel