Web Browser - Firefox

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I know Dan and many others have advocated using any other web browser than Internet Explorer for quite some time. I just setup an older computer for my wife (No viruses or adware...clean hard drive) that has a faster processor (3.0 GHz vs 2.66 GHz) and fewer programs than my 10 year old computer. (I know, antique...but so is my bike!). Both have 1 GB of RAM and Win XP Pro. When I went onto Facebook with hers, the screen kept skipping and stopping, slow to open and close and just plain annoying! Mine was moving much faster even though it is older.

Downloaded Firefox latest version into hers and ....WHOA...it now runs like a rocket!!!!! Did the same for mine!!! :Egyptian: :Egyptian: Now before anyone gets too critical about the age of the machine, I did build it myself from individual components and chose the best available at the time (August 2001). Multiple fans, clean out the case regularly and all data is stored on a separate hard drive rather than my "C" drive which keeps it running smooth. I have the "My Documents" point to my other drive. Compared to my work computer which is an HP Laptop with dual processors and 2 GB RAM (but also Win XP Pro) there is very little difference in speed. It does pay to buy good hardware!

So IE 8....you are on your own!!!!

Firefox rocks! Faster AND safer, virus-wise. You also don't get hijacked like you do with IE.
Lots of folks also like using Google Chrome, but I'm not all that ecstatic about Chrome...just doesn't have the features I'm used to.
IE, any version, sux, compared to other browsers. :help: :laptop:

I like Firefox too, but i've gotten used to another one call Flashpeak Slimbrowser. I really like the features and it seems to work just as fast as Firefox. :Egyptian:

slabghost":l4u0f1fm said:
I qit using infernalnetexploder 15 years ago and never looked back. :good:

I can relate to that. I gave up IE about that same time, way back when Win98 came out, went to Netscape then something else (but I forget what :headscratch: ). Been running Firefox for about 6 or 7 years I believe.

Fast IT trick, change from IE to FireFox, use the IE theme, instant speed upgrade for those users that just won't use any other browser BUT IE.

Flinx":3t1ud7ip said:
Fast IT trick, change from IE to FireFox, use the IE theme, instant speed upgrade for those users that just won't use any other browser BUT IE.
Can you elaborate on how to do this?

Firefox has a huge selection of Themes https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/
I.E should be in there somewhere I guess but maybe there's another way to do it?.

I really like Google Chrome, Firefox is excellent though.

The only reason I have I.E on my computer is because some sites I must use for work and banking will ONLY work with I.E.

mcgovern61":idt2drtq said:
Flinx":idt2drtq said:
Can you elaborate on how to do this?

Just do a quick search for internet explorer in the themes area of firefox, theres about a half dozen or so of them.
https://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/55635 is one of them, thats not the one I normally use for this. Just makes Firefox look like IE to the avg user, at least for a bit, by the time he/she figures out it isn't IE he/she doesn't care (usually that is).