What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started it up after sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks, smoked like crazy. After about 10 minutes, smoke went away, and bike seemed to run like normal. Got me to thinking, I think the PO rebuilt the fuel tap, so maybe it's not closing all the way, and fuel is getting in the carbs, and down into the cylinders. So I decided to pull the hose off that goes from the fuel tap to the fuel pump, and the one that goes from the fuel pump to the carbs, and replace them with clear hose.

Well, it was a good idea, but the inline fuel filter on the hose that goes between the fuel tap and fuel pump was too big to fit in the clear hose I got, so I put the stock black rubber hose back on. But I did replace the short section of hose that went from the fuel pump to the carbs, and altho there's fuel in there, maybe halfway up, it's not going to the carbs.

Guess I'll just have to live with the smoking bit, which I suppose can be expected after sitting for weeks at a time before starting. Odd how all my other bikes never smoked like this one, but then again, I've never had a flat-four motorcycle like this one either!

Put in a new battery. I cleaned contacts, made sure ground connection is good, and put in a new solenoid. Wouldn't start. Jumped across clutch switch and the bike roared to life.

Put a "battery bug" on to monitor voltage. I just want to make sure battery charging system is OK. It is old but in relatively good condition with only 21k miles. My 2005 wing has more miles than that.

cranked up the 77 today ...puuurrred like a kitten ....nice and smooth quiet rummble of perfect running so nice ...makes me want to finish the front brakes and lights and take it for a ride :moped: :mrgreen:

bronzestarvue":h4zsxs6b said:
Started it up after sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks, smoked like crazy. After about 10 minutes, smoke went away, and bike seemed to run like normal. Got me to thinking, I think the PO rebuilt the fuel tap, so maybe it's not closing all the way, and fuel is getting in the carbs, and down into the cylinders. So I decided to pull the hose off that goes from the fuel tap to the fuel pump, and the one that goes from the fuel pump to the carbs, and replace them with clear hose.

Well, it was a good idea, but the inline fuel filter on the hose that goes between the fuel tap and fuel pump was too big to fit in the clear hose I got, so I put the stock black rubber hose back on. But I did replace the short section of hose that went from the fuel pump to the carbs, and altho there's fuel in there, maybe halfway up, it's not going to the carbs.

Guess I'll just have to live with the smoking bit, which I suppose can be expected after sitting for weeks at a time before starting. Odd how all my other bikes never smoked like this one, but then again, I've never had a flat-four motorcycle like this one either!

Well, it doesn't look like it's gas that's making it smoke, probably oil. I was able to get some clear hose installed from the fuel tap to the fuel pump inlet, and it's dry. So since the cylinders are so low (like an original BMW K75), and it sits on a sidestand, I would imagine there's some residual oil in that left bank of cylinders. As long as the smoke goes away once it's warmed up, I'm not going to worry about it. But I'll have to remember to NOT start it up in the garage, and roll it out towards the street, before firing her up next time!

Just looked at her under her cover while I was doing a couple of Sirloins on the grill :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

ahh today got through the dreaded job of front brakes on the 77 1000....ahh it went so smooth...now all i got to do is hokk up turn signals and lights and all the wiring inside the headlight buckit and its done and ready to ride ....ive been putting off the brake job a long time ......

also test fitted the 1200 airbox on the 82 frame ...well that aint happening...but the filter will all go in there and tighten down with the top put on it ...just no airbox and on the 1200 carb rack it dosnt have to be there like 1000 and 1100 do :mrgreen:

:Egyptian: got my dyna in today :clapping: now i got to get a break in the weather it warmed up to about 60 but the wind was still like ice. :crying: it is supposed to warm up this week but rain.so now it's just wait and see.

I made my measurements and made a materials list for my new sidecar camper build.....Very simple and easy...sounds like more than it will be....a portable platform over the sidecar that I will set up a Kamprite tent-cot tent on...
Brian

Took the better half for a ride today. :Egyptian: :Egyptian: Up I-5 to Auburn for lunch, :party: on over to Lincoln, some back roads to Sheridon, :music2: :music2: back through Lincoln and back home. 86 miles. :yahoo: Bike ran Great,but burbled on the low end so I guess the carbs will have to be pulled and cleaned. :doh: I was hopeing I woulden't have to do this set as I have to do it for the 82, and I am going to sell the 80 any way. :ahem:

bronzestarvue":l9u2ts0c said:
bronzestarvue":l9u2ts0c said:

Well, it doesn't look like it's gas that's making it smoke, probably oil. I was able to get some clear hose installed from the fuel tap to the fuel pump inlet, and it's dry. So since the cylinders are so low (like an original BMW K75), and it sits on a sidestand, I would imagine there's some residual oil in that left bank of cylinders. As long as the smoke goes away once it's warmed up, I'm not going to worry about it. But I'll have to remember to NOT start it up in the garage, and roll it out towards the street, before firing her up next time!
Never start her up in the garage......unless there is unwanted people around :hihihi: :hihihi:

Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, I actually didn't start her up in the garage, but the rest is accurate, lol!

Like I mentioned earlier, I replaced the rubber fuel lines with some clear hose, but ran into a problem. The short hose that goes from the carbs down to the fuel pump developed a leak at the fuel pump. I pulled the hose off, and I think it's because the edge of the clamp cut into the softer clear hose. So I put the black rubber hose back on, but left the clear hose between the fuel tap and fuel pump, because both ends on that one were dry. That way I can still see if the tap is leaking fuel. But the more I think about it, I don't think it's gas that's making it smoke after sitting a while, I think it's oil (whitish smoke). Can't wait for the weather to warm up some, so I can take her out and blow out them carbs, and residual oil!

gee ...im still working on the 77 lights ...when these oldwings have been vetterized they are always missed up in the lighting system and parts are always gone too ...hidlight ring ...turn signal mounnts or entire lights all gone ...try to adapt a 79 1000 light system in ...but this involves changing the the ears out to the 79 ears....this is not easy and i will think on this awhile ...most of the after markit stuff i dont like its always to small it seems for proper lighting ...i like the 79 1000 and 1100 lighting system on the standard bikes they show up well ...when the signals are used for running lights also front and back...thats where im at ...rear lights are on and have been modified to work with running lights ...now i have to modify the fronts back to running lights sockits put in ...im looking for donor sockits :mrgreen:

Latest posts