• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
My dad's boss contacted us a few weeks ago about getting his 83 Aspy road worthy. He told us that he had an antifreeze leak, but wasn't sure where it was, so I stepped up and said "Yeah, we'll look at it." He arrived at my dad's house a few days later with the bike on a roll back, that's when I knew we were in for it. We could smell the old gas, so our first thing was to drain the tank and start with fresh gas. My dad pulled the petcock on the tank, and it was empty. We put a little in the tank, but didn't start it that day. When we went back the next day to start work on it, we noticed a spot under the bike. After a little further inspection, we noticed a wet spot on the bottom seam of the fuel tank. Our initial assessment was that there is a pin hole in the tank and it's leaking.

After informing the boss of the issue with the tank, he said that he wants to sale it for what he can get for it.

I know for sure that it needs a rear master cylinder and the calipers redone all the way around. It will most likely need a water pump, new timing belts, new tires, front master cylinder rebuilt, and a few other small things. Like I stated earlier, it is an 83 Aspencade. According to the owner it only has 35,000 on the clock. All of the plastic is there and in really good shape. The paint is, IMHO, in great shape for it's age. It has every piece of add on chrome you could want, but most of it would need to be redone as it is rusted.

What I need to know is how much would this be worth? I don't want to low ball him, but I'd like to have it my self, just to rebuild. My dad doesn't want to tackle changing the tank, but for one that clean, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Here's what she looks like at the moment.

7d0b8f63.jpg

the tank is probably the easies thing to fix ......if its has all the brake problems your talking about it needs to be striped down anyway ......you have no ideal what the engine runs like or what problems it has....this is almost impossible to value like this ......the 83 grearing is so tall that the motor has to be in tip top shape to operate good .....a lacking motor makes for a bike that wont hardly get out of its own way......seems hard to value without knowing something about the motor....

I'm thinking about putting enough fuel in it just to see how well it runs, but with the cost of fuel, I don't want my money to go down the drain so to speak. He told me he was riding it up until 3 years ago with no problems, but you know how that goes.

its proably not going to run and if it dose not well ......in that kind of condition and not running for so long id say 700 dollars is it and no more ....this bike sounds like a lot of work ......most bikes that sit for yrs without running were not running well when they quit riding them or they wouldnt have stop riding it .....

Thank you for your input. I really don't know what one that isn't already running would be worth. I wish I had about $500 to offer for it just for the parts.

actuly i think its a great project bike .....it could be a nice bike but there is a lot of work there im afraid and would have to be done by sombody good at it for sure or the cost would get huge .....to bad you cant get it .....if i had it i certainly wouldnt part it out .....its to nice of a bike for that.....hows your 1200 doing

The 1200 is doing great. Other than an oil leak from the rear trans cover, which I plan on fixing this winter, I only need to repaint the whole thing. :smilie_happy:

I would look at it this way.
If that bike was in good repair and rideable with good tires I think it's worth $2K-2,500.
Take off what the repairs would cost with something for your time.

Tires-$250
Wheel and master cylinders $250
Gas tank $200
Carb rebuild $500
Probably needs a water pump $350
Misc stuff ya always run into on a project like this $200 (at least)

Total $1750 and you don't know condition of the engine yet.

If you could get it running ok maybe the carbs wouldn't need done so $500-800 is in the ballpark.

From the looks in the picture, I would have no problem spending a gallon or two for gas and start it with jumper cables just to get an idea of how it runs.

Most of the work you mentioned I would be planning to do anyways if I bought it. I personally would'nt give more than $300 not running. But if it ran it would sell for $1,500-2,500 out here. Rusty chrome and all.

IMHO, when he said "wants to sell it for what he can get" he opened the door for lowball offers and shouldn't be offended when/if he gets one. It sounds like he just wants it out of his sight. I've been there, done that a few times. Obviuosly, you really don't knoiw what it's worth until you really go over it. It would be a roll of the dice for anything over a few hundred dollars.

$1750. for mine,didn't have all the shiny bits, and I went through most of the items except for the fuel tank anyway. To me $1500.-$2000. is very reasonable for an Aspy with all the amenities. check my album pics :thanks:

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 162
I'd give $1000 for a bike like that. As a matter of fact I'm buying an 81 today with a similar history and front fairing only for $750.

paddy.shadow":tq274mku said:
$1750. for mine,didn't have all the shiny bits, and I went through most of the items except for the fuel tank anyway. To me $1500.-$2000. is very reasonable for an Aspy with all the amenities. check my album pics :thanks:

paddy, I'd love to see more pics of your bike. There is just the one in your album.

Latest posts