Whats on your head?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1TallTXn":3ge63xfo said:
I want to keep my head just in case I decide to use it one day! :mrgreen:
Used a hemet this morning...Havn't used my head in years! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

It's a full face helmet for me....every time!
I had a badly fractured skull when I was a very little kid, and it left me with a dip in my skull about 1/4" wide that goes across the top of my head from ear to ear. Because of it, I was not allowed to play any sports when in school. I'm not sure that riding a motorcycle is the smartest thing for me to be doing, but I'm not quitting now!

hi guys its been a while but i still lurk when i'm able ...i'm still riding but it's been a lot less this year i found i have neuropathy in my legs and feet.they burn like they're on fire so its been a little hard to ride.. enough of that .... I wear a half helmet or a 3/4 I love to feel the wind and the smells. As for the full face i just can't turn my neck enough to get a full view and feel closed in .. This is from too much wrestling in school getting my head cranked on..also this summer i did take the ditch and the half helmet didn't help my face to much :crying: but i'm still kicking.. I also think it is up to us if we wear one or not but i guess we have to deal with whats put on our plate.. have a good one and i'll have to check in more .

Good of you to check in. We talk on a lot of non bike issues as well now. In the forum called way off topic. Sucks when health issues prevent us doing what we like.

Someone once said to me there are two kind of riders , those who have fallen or crashed and those who will, I had a low speed crash with full riding gear and while I fell and hit my head and was sliding across the rode to (get to the other side) I remembered one thing , I'm not hurt this is great, ATGATT.

Great thing to celebrate. "I'm not hurt"! Feels even better than when you solve a big problem sometimes.

In my own very rare and peculiar tangle with a Plymouth Roadrunner, The ortho Doctor, informed me that if I had been wearing a helmet at the time I would have suffered a basal skull fracture. The same type injury that killed Dale sr.. That being said I only wear one when required by state law.

i believe it sould be a personal choise. that being said, i wear a full face when riding my 78 custom, an open face on my dressed 1100. i have had accidents with helmet on, and with helmet off. boots gloves and jacket are just as important. i ran the resort at deals gap for a couple of years, and have been at the site of a number of crashes. helmets do save some people. but without the rest of the gear, you are just preserving your brain the enjoy the pain. i enjoy the wind in my hair. especially on a hot day. that should be my choice. i like HJC helmets as a good compromize between price and safty.

I must agree. All of what we do should be by choice. However personal responsibility has become rare these days.

Story in today's local news around here:

"CAMDEN, Delaware - December 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police are investigating a motorcycle crash that killed a Greenwood man. Authorities say 52-year-old Edward Loller was riding his motorcycle Wednesday evening in the 2400 block of Farm Lane in Camden, where he struck a deer trying to cross the road. Police say the collision threw Loller from the motorcycle and he was later pronounced dead at Kent General Hospital. Loller was not wearing a helmet."

I do have great concern about hitting a deer when riding at night around here since they are often found crossing our roads without warning. Very sad day indeed. The Associated Press reported the story and found it important to note he was not wearing a helmet.

they mentioned he was not wearing a helmet. but did not say he died of head injuries. they also did not mention if he was wearing underwear. that would seem as relavent as the helmet info. cold have broken his neck. helmet would not have helped. don't get me wrong i think helmets are good. they keep the stray bug from hitting you in the face.....and they have saved my head from the road a time or two. the news story just leads you to believe that if he was wearing a helmet, he would be sitting on the couch watching tv today. misleading. and undermines the right of personel choice

That depends on ,mood, and weather.

Attachments

• IMG_00000008 (640x361).jpg
    IMG_00000008 (640x361).jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 103
First I want to say. I am pro choice.
I think it should be your choice... BUT

I also want to say "I shouldnt be penalized in any way for changes in our hemet laws."
our insurance companys are threatening higher rates for bikers and lower payouts in most cases for ALL riders.(helmet or not)
growing up I was always taught to wear a hemet. dirt biking it was just a givin to be safe.
when I moved on to riding a bigger road bike I always wear a helmet.
and I can say with some confidence without the helmet I wouldnt be here typing today.

in a wreck I was in back in 1990 the other drivers insurance paid out over 4million in doctor bills. patched me up.
now michigans insurance companies are threatening to cap those types of claims on ALL bikers.
and raise rates.
That is what I'm against.
also I dont want to be reverse discriminated against for being safe in my opinion.

I usually wear a modular helmet when I ride, I also have a 1/2 and a 3/4 that I wear sometimes.
I am one that would not be here if it were not for an old 3/4 helmet I had on in 1969 when a lady pulled out in front of me in Texas. I am glad I had it on.
I also wear a Buffalo Hide jacket or a cool mesh jacket with armour.
I also wear leather pants or other pants and boots plus gloves.

If I go down real hard, it might kill me, who knows, could get killed in a little wreck too, we all gotta go sometime.
A little insurance is pretty cheap, skin is precious. ;)

Wore a open face when first started riding in 73... military required it... friend that I learned to ride from wore one.. so I did too... when I came to TX I had a ff I got from some where.. didn't quite fit tight.. but a couple of dogs crossing I45 at the south end of Hutchins, TX... tried to go between them killed one and clipped the other.. bike went 80 feet and I went 200 .. helmet had multiple different direction scratched.. but my face is still purdy... and it has been ff evermore... even rode through panhandle of TX in 110* heat wife has claustrophobia.. and wears an open.. I have had a couple of other incidents and helmet keep my hide from the road.. YMMV for me always a helmet when going anywhere.. EXCEPT.... when listening for issues running up the block and back...

I wear a half-helmet when it's warm outside, and a full-face helmet when it's cooler. I actually like the new Bilt full-face helmet I got, it's comfy, quiet, and the flat black color matches just about anything. I wear ear plugs too whenever I ride.

I remember the old saying, "the difference between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet is whether you'll have an open or closed casket funeral"...if you choose not to wear a helmet in a helmet-optional state, that's your choice...as long as it doesn't jack up the insurance rates of people like me who choose to wear one.

Latest posts