Which After market exhaust is the best choice for a GL1100 ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furyfan2

Reaction score
I have owned a 1981 Interstate for 18 years :music: It really needs an entirely new exhaust system . I plan to keep it for many more years . Is stainless steel the way to go ? :thanks:

Stainless is the best for long life but consider the stock mufflers lasted this long.
Question is do you want stock quiet then I'd get stock mufflers. I think new are still available.

dan filipi":2xwb9g6u said:
Question is do you want stock quiet then I'd get stock mufflers. I think new are still available.
New is still available? I'm sure it costs as much as a rebuilt GL1100! :smilie_happy:

Someone on another site made his own baffles for the stock exhaust.. We are looking at $300, $400 or more for a new set of exhaust I think probably more..$700-$1000

A Buddy of mine adapted Harley Mufflers to his Aspencade when he started it up it it sounded just like a Harley - I told him he should drip water on the wires to make it can run just like a Harley as well.

1060dsl":1amman32 said:
A Buddy of mine adapted Harley Mufflers to his Aspencade when he started it up it it sounded just like a Harley - I told him he should drip water on the wires to make it can run just like a Harley as well.

Careful friend, even here Harley owners throw tantrums over a gest like that. That being said, Harleys suck. :hihihi:

I would love to buy a new exhaust...all shiny and new. One can dream...

~O~

Ya i know what you mean - a Harley rider I know asked me when I'm going to buy one I told him I would but I'm too old to push it home! LOL

He hasn't talked to me very much since then oh well !!

1060dsl":3v31zuki said:
Ya i know what you mean - a Harley rider I know asked me when I'm going to buy one I told him I would but I'm too old to push it home! LOL

I used to have a 2005 Sportster 1200R, so I think I can make fun...

95% of all Harleys are still on the road...and the other 5% actually made it back home, lol...

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuum cleaner? The position of the dirt bag, lol...

bronzestarvue":1osurmi2 said:
1060dsl":1osurmi2 said:

I used to have a 2005 Sportster 1200R, so I think I can make fun...

95% of all Harleys are still on the road...and the other 5% actually made it back home, lol...

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuum cleaner? The position of the dirt bag, lol...

My ribs hurt I have been laughing so hard, that 5% is the funniest one I heard yet!

Brook's, I like that yellow paint on your bike, I almost painted mine yellow, but changed my mine at the last minute.. Don't see too many 81 Harley's riding around like you do GL's

littlebeaver":1d85ht4o said:
Don't see too many 81 Harley's riding around like you do GL's
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Now that is just mean!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Not trying to be mean, I claim to be a nice guy, but I just don't see many old Harley's still running around like I do GL's that's all..

littlebeaver":djy3iz0y said:
I think that is what these are. Been so long since I put these on I can't remember. They are very quiet. distintive sound. I don't know that you will find anything as quiet as stock. These are nice. Even look nice when cleaned up!
At the time I bought these their were a couple different styles. I liked the turndowns.
GEDC0877.jpg

You guys are great and I'm LMAO over the Harley stuff, as I own one along with the Oldwing I just bought this evening!!! (Grinning ear-to-ear!!)

WRT exhaust - I looked into wing exhausts last year, as I found one at that time that needed an exhaust, and I was surprised at how little was available. As many of these fine old scoots are still on the road - and as passionate as folks are about them, I would think there'd be more selection.

Anyway - I am in the process of having a custom exhaust welded up for my (other brand that shall remain nameless, but rhymes with Charley) bike and wondered if any wingers ever explored that route. Specifically, Burns stainless designed a pipe for my motor and sold me the components. Now I'm having a custom fab guy / welder make the dang thing. SS, designed to the motor, etc. I would think a similar approach could work with these old girls and I'm wondering if any one here has tried that and if so, what's the consensus.

Newinger I think most of us Oldwingers can't afford or wouldn't pay what a custom exhaust build would cost let alone all stainless, definitely not me.
Seems the Harley guys have unlimited cash to throw at them.
We ride these old girls because they run forever and relatively cheap to keep on the road.