Whut NOW? ( Battery dead. Should I buy a regular battery, AGM or Gel? )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gel batteries had problems when they first came out. I have no first hand experience with one. AGM batteries I have. I bought one 4 years ago for my virago and it's still working fine with very little attention. I bought mine through the Harley stealership. Very expensive. I've heard they can also be purchased through sears. I haven't yet checked with them for one to fit the gl.

I had a AGM from Batteries Plus which ran fine for about 1 1/2 years until I used it in the parts bike to check out the engine.
I was cranking it quite a bit and had the charger on it set for 10 amps, 6-7 amps were going in. From what I understand about AGM's that amperage is OK, even 10 amps is OK.

I felt the battery case which was slightly warm so I figgered it was OK but at one point it suddenly died.
I thought maybe a loose connection somewhere but it turned out the battery shorted and went down to 7 volts.

I then picked up a Oddysey after hearing how great they are.
Been 6-8 months running fine, I haven't used it under those same circumstances so who knows.
Time will tell if it lasts any longer than a regular wet cell.

Oh, the battery from Batteries Plus was called a Xtreme.
I don't think I was abusing it and it should have held up to what I was doing with it.

Just as an FYI, "Gel" and "AGM" are very different animals.
You wouldn't want a Gel for a bike or car. Those are the types used like in emergency lighting and such designed more for a slow discharge. AGM's are better suited for cranking amps.
IIRC, Gel's need a special charge rate also.

It is my understanding anything over 2 amps charging of bike batteries or smaller will damage the plates. I'd be very interested in any manufacturer claims to charge at a higher amperage.

slabghost":3obnjp4g said:
It is my understanding anything over 2 amps charging of bike batteries or smaller will damage the plates. I'd be very interested in any manufacturer claims to charge at a higher amperage.

Good point but that only applies to wet cell M/C batteries according to the rep I talked to at Oddysey.

The rep told me AGM's require a higher charge rate.
In the instruction sheet that came with my Oddysey it says if the PC680 is 100% discharged (reads 11.5 volts) charge it at 10 amps for 2 hours, 1 hour at 20 amps and a 12 volt 3 amp trickle charger can be left on while in storage or if it's connected with parasitic loads.
It also says "Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the Odyssey battery becomes discharged".

I understand this to mean if it's discharged a tender at less than 2 amps will not recharge an Odyssey, that it needs a higher rate of charge to get it full THEN a tender will maintain it.

dan filipi":ebpsupu6 said:
I had a AGM from Batteries Plus which ran fine for about 1 1/2 years until I used it in the parts bike to check out the engine.
I was cranking it quite a bit and had the charger on it set for 10 amps, 6-7 amps were going in. From what I understand about AGM's that amperage is OK, even 10 amps is OK.

I felt the battery case which was slightly warm so I figgered it was OK but at one point it suddenly died.
I thought maybe a loose connection somewhere but it turned out the battery shorted and went down to 7 volts.

I then picked up a Oddysey after hearing how great they are.
Been 6-8 months running fine, I haven't used it under those same circumstances so who knows.
Time will tell if it lasts any longer than a regular wet cell.

Oh, the battery from Batteries Plus was called a Xtreme.
I don't think I was abusing it and it should have held up to what I was doing with it.

Just as an FYI, "Gel" and "AGM" are very different animals.
You wouldn't want a Gel for a bike or car. Those are the types used like in emergency lighting and such designed more for a slow discharge. AGM's are better suited for cranking amps.
IIRC, Gel's need a special charge rate also.

AAAAAAAHH that's a good thing to know, probably would have just walked in and asked for one of those new gel batteries also did not realize

slabghost wrote:

Good point but that only applies to wet cell M/C batteries according to the rep I talked to at Oddysey.

The rep told me AGM's require a higher charge rate.
In the instruction sheet that came with my Oddysey it says if the PC680 is 100% discharged (reads 11.5 volts) charge it at 10 amps for 2 hours, 1 hour at 20 amps and a 12 volt 3 amp trickle charger can be left on while in storage or if it's connected with parasitic loads.
It also says "Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the Odyssey battery becomes discharged".

and this

Post subject: Re: Whut NOW?

It is my understanding anything over 2 amps charging of bike batteries or smaller will damage the plates. I'd be very interested in any manufacturer claims to charge at a higher amperage

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :heat: :heat: :heat:

I bought a AGM battery almost 2 years ago for my 82 Standard. I got it from work so it's an Interstate battery and I think it was about 80 or 90 dollars. I don't recall ever even looking at it since I put it in. It's been trouble free. I don't use it for anything else and it has never had a charger put on it. For me it's a no brainer, I already know what my next battery will be.

We should consider cutting this thread in two and start the second half as a new thread labeled AGM Batteries or something like that. It is a good discussion but will be hard to find next spring when some of us might be changing our batteries if left in this thread.

mcgovern61":3hk5k66o said:
We should consider cutting this thread in two and start the second half as a new thread labeled AGM Batteries or something like that. It is a good discussion but will be hard to find next spring when some of us might be changing our batteries if left in this thread.

I edited the named of the original post, that outa help.

"Whut NOW? ( Battery dead. Should I buy a regular battery, AGM or Gel? )"

Winger 82":3ewklb2p said:
:cool!: So from what I'm getting here, AGM is the way to go ?????

Hands down the only battery I'd ever get.

No maintenance is the most appealing to me and that acid doesn't drip out the tube onto the exhaust.

When I bought my bike it had battery problems. It had a Yuassa? battery that would not hold a charge. I bought an Odyssey PC680. That lasted 5 years. Then to save a couple of $ I bought another Yuassa?, maintenance free not an agm. It didn't even last 6 months. I even put hte old Odyessy back in and got a few more miles out of it. I now have an Extreme (sgm) from Batteries + which I thought had died also. Thats when i started checking the charging system and found it was sending 15.2 volts to the battery. I replaced the rectifier. Now i get 14.5 volts at the battery and to my surprise the Extreme battery is working fine. The next time I buy a battery it will be an Odyessy.

stratocat":2u496koc said:
Winger 82":2u496koc said:
:cool!: Where might this rectifier be ??? Just wondering if it was external like on our vintage sleds we run.
:hi:
It's under the false tank on the left side. It's the part with the fins on it.

I guess the next stupid question would be is is this another name for the voltage regulator ??

dan filipi":3ra6tuoq said:
Yes it's also known as the regulator.

The voltage regulator and rectifier are together as one unit.
The earlier GL1000 has a separate regulator and rectifier.

Thanks Dan, kinda thought that but had to double check, the old Asspy wants to Idle at 14.5 for a short time after running down the road but then drops to about 12-12.2, was thinking I should give the ground wire on the frame a good look see before I put her away for the winter which won't be for alittle while yet, when the white stuff starts flying the other toys get to occupy the front of the garage.
:hi:

My Honda OEM digital volt meter on the dash reads 12.5-12.9 volts even though voltage reading at the battery is 14.5 volts so I'd check the voltage with a known accurate volt meter before trying to chase down a problem that might not be a problem.