Why I love old machines.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
3 years ago I bought a new mower. I had to rebuild the carb next season. Near fall it needed rebuilt again but I made do choking it with a rubber ball to start it. So last year I dug out the old mower that had sat unused for 5 years. I cleaned up the carb and replaced the cracked fuel line. It ran a bit rough but improved with use. I just now came in from my first attempt to mow this year. I put in fresh gas and set the choke and away she went first pull! I really love the older machines prior to all the new regulations ruining them. This includes bikes and cages too. Let the summer last forever! :salute: :beer: :smilie_happy:

I have a earler 80's model riding mower that I restored to look like new, I bought it from an old guy that re-sells them for like $300 and I did my thing to it, repainted it and made it look, well not so embarrassing, I call it my harley because it's so loud. It's a Simplicity and I love it so yes Slabghoast I can relate..

Same here - old stuff was built to be maintained by the inept therefore they required little complicated insights into how they worked . They were built with the intentions of lasting forever unlike todays stuff which lasts just a couple of years , if lucky.

One of the old Sunday morning rituals was to wash and service the car ( or bike ) which enabled the owner to keep an eye on any potential problems such as loose bolts and stuff. Todays machines are only built to be run into the ground with little maintenance , if any at all. The simplicity of times gone by are what is missed by todays owners.

:deadhorse: the use of a big hammer ( or spanner )can replace the intricacies of a computer when it comes to starting a dead motor.

Todays machines are so packed with computerized controls a technician is needed far more often than a mechanic.

I gotta say though it is pretty nice to have 2 cars now with all the 21st century technology.

Gone are the days of changing or adjusting points and spark plugs run 100k miles instead of what, 10k miles in the old cars?

No more cable driven speedos to make noise and bounce,
no more cables on the A/C and heater doors moving hard or jamming.
Much better handling.

Don't get me wrong I do love old machines but as far as the daily driver goes, I'm done working on that stuff and I love it.

I hate the antilock braking systems and all the computerized junk. Always seems to be something wrong.

dan filipi":kcyjc4ie said:
I gotta say though it is pretty nice to have 2 cars now with all the 21st century technology.

Gone are the days of changing or adjusting points and spark plugs run 100k miles instead of what, 10k miles in the old cars?

Much better handling.

Don't get me wrong I do love old machines but as far as the daily driver goes, I'm done working on that stuff and I love it.

I have to respectfully disagree. When I started driving, if your car broke down, in most cases you could do a quick temporary fix
on the side of the road and in a half hour or so be headed home. A popsicle stick for a fried regulator, a emery board for burned points, a paperclip for a stuck choke, on and on.... When you get it home more extensive yet still relatively inexpensive repairs could be made. Now days if your car quits on the side of the road it's an automatic tow bill and after that a mechanic bill possibly in the thousands all because one of the many computers in your new car has taken a dump. Not being able to get 100K out of an old car is a fallacy. My dad drove a '73 Buick Centurion way over 100K, all it took was proper care and maintenance. By the way that engine was only pulled after the car was wrecked and is still running in a '67 GS400 I built in high school. My current daily driver is a '55 F-100 pickup with a used 60K mi. 460 and a C6, it's dead simple and as dependable as any truck or car I’ve ever owned including a bunch of Toyota's and VW's. The most complicated piece of equipment on it is the dura spark electronic ignition module screwed to the firewall. If it goes I have a spare tucked away behind the seat. It may not be the most comfortable thing to ride around in or the nicest looking or the most fuel efficient but I wouldn't hesitate to get up at 6 am and head out to California to visit you without so much as popping the hood. When it comes to loving to drive the old stuff I guess you just have to get it to get it.

I am with you ally. Most of what I drive is other peop;es cast offs (sorry ALL OF WHAT I DRIVE) I have only owned one car and 2 M/C that were new. And old is simple, look at me!!!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

yep the reason i ride oldwings is it the best old school bike out there in the areas i like ...its dam near perfect balance ....ride all day without beating you up....shaft drrive ...low center of gravity....and i woulnt hesitate to go to cali on it either.....

My wife and I live in Florida full time . We have a small summer home in Maine . I purchased a 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury from the original owner in 1986 . The Fury sits in the garage in Maine for close to 10 months every year . I always put in fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery, and cover the car . It is a running joke with my friend accross the street . When I get to Maine , we remove the cover clean the terminals , and turn the key ........... I pump the gas pedal and :party: IT STARTS !!!! Last year was the 4th year it has started !!!! This is with out a battery tender. You just can't beat the old stuff :eek:k:

I think most of agree on this. My mom needed a riding mower, so I found an '86 Honda 3813. Liquid cooled tin, easy start clutch (slowly accelerates in whatever gear until it reaches top speed for that gear) and is unbelievably quiet. This thing is so overengineered that it will ikely not only last her lifetime but mine as well.

dan filipi":18n4d2px said:

Much better handling.

Sorry Dan but that is a false sense of security.
I would be unemployed if new cars didnt break down,there isnt enough old stuff to keep me busy.

Gone are the days of points and copper tipped plugs,but Coil on Plug boots fail all the time,as well as O2 sensors
No more cables driven speedos,but speed sensors that fail and cause the tranny to not shift as well as other things.
No more heater controll cables,but the electric blend door servos are huge sellers and a pain to do.
But cheap cables running the windows and holding tailgates,with multiple failures,(Have you put a regulator in the burb yet)

And then theres the countless troubles with plastic gaskets,plastic engine parts,electric fuel pumps,ABS brakes,poor performing light weight brake rotors,black dusty wheels...

Ten years ago I had a very small stock of rotors,they used to last forever.Now I have two isles of cheap chinese rotors becuase the cheap mexican rotors GM Ford... put on need to be changed every brake job (which is half of what it was years ago)becuase they are to thin from the factory and the rear disc brakes fail to do there job mostly becuase they are seized up on the brackets.Which is another item I never used to sell untell recent years.

And then there is the cost,shop rates are at about $75.00/hour now and an average heater core job is about eight hours know.

So yes,I do not get to sell points,plugs carb kits like I used to,but ther is plenty of new expensive crap that fails on even the newest of cars to keep me in beef and beer.

Handleing,OK I ll give you that.

Enjoy all of my old iron the stuff has character. 39 M farmall, 63 Econoline, 67 Cub cadet.

Attachments

• IMG00099-20110722-1417.jpg
    IMG00099-20110722-1417.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 2011-09-24_18-00-11_267.jpg
    2011-09-24_18-00-11_267.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 2012-02-29_13-45-44_882.jpg
    2012-02-29_13-45-44_882.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 142
detdrbuzzard":2jvgljxx said:
why do i love old machines?
cause i can't afford new machines!
I'm allergic to payments. Especially on stuff that loses $5k value as soon as you sign the paperwork! :moped:

I added a power outlet in my service van.
Van is an 06 Chevy Express.
Accidently touched ground with the lighter hot and blew the fuse and went searching for the blown one.

OMG!

WTF can all these fuses be for!!? There are at least 30 in the front panel and another 15 under the seat.
What's wrong with consolidating loads? There is a fuse for each tail light and each running light :evil:

In the old cars it was easy, one of 6 fuses right easy to see under the dash!

dave a":11bhd3hl said:
Enjoy all of my old iron the stuff has character. 39 M farmall, 63 Econoline, 67 Cub cadet.

Cool pics - that old tractor is a classic ! Ive got three old nuffields all older than I am ( and im a geezer)