Why this project?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i have been looking for a project. A 1980 interstate mostly in baskets but "complete" has presented itself. I already ride a 1984 1200 interstate that still needs talc but is also my daily ride. Has a poorly, decent plastic and paint, maintenance up to par, etc.

I have limited space so need to be choosey.

So that begs the question in my mind.

Why would I want to acquire this 1980 interstate as a project?
Thoughts?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Well, a daily ride is something that you need to keep going, so it gets the basics, whatever it needs to be dependable. A project is something that's simply done for enjoyment, for the pleasure and pride of knowing that you started with a pile of parts, and ended up with a fine machine! One is a necessity, the other is a hobby. Oh, and we all love to see a resurrection/restoration in words and pics on this forum!

You need to experience MBS!!!

Ok now I follow the MBS.
I know I certainly cant really afford a second money pit but that is also part of the reason for a new project something to toil away the waiting and feeling stuck. The whole situation is a long depressing thought so we try not to dwell there. I am still employed that is a positive and married to an awesome woman. She doesn't ride but my riding and toying with these things gives me freedom and satisfaction of accomplishment.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

The 1980 like my Rats Nest has lower gearing and feels rather nimble climbing the hills and running around town IMHO. I would prefer less revs at high speed but I realise that would compromise some of its performance. Braking also improves from 1982 ( my preference as I am a traditionalist and don't really like linked brakes or abs unless it is switchable) but having a project that is not critical for transportation should allow you to be more cost effective. That said more bikes cost more money and I have a bad case of MBS :yes: