winter time

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang...Gerry beat me to it.... :smilie_happy:

Put some "HEET", or other fuel stabilizer in it, and fill the tank. Best thing is to start it every now and then too, and let it run until the fan kicks on at least once. This will keep the moisture inside of the engine down.

Well there's all these products, stabil for one but I gotta say that atf in the gas seems to be a good storage additive.
Until last weekend I had the same gas from a tank I filled almost 6 months ago. I've run it around locally short trips only because it needs a back tire and rear master cylinder. Every time it would fire right up.
None of the carb jet clogging problems at any time, even on 6 month old gas.
Granted I'm not in the cold country but all this I hear about ethanol problems seems not a problem at all with atf.

Yessir! It does get cold here and the atf works better as a stabilizer than anything else I've used. One of my bikes has year old gas with atf in it and fires right up still with no issues.

Ok, you got me. Never heard of using ATF. How much, like a ounce per gallon???

I have been using both methods, Stabil and riding year round. I have the luck of a heated garage to keep it in and a heated hangar when I get to work, so if the road is clear, off I go.

yes about 6- 8 oz per tank ...it may smoke awhile while cleaning up things and may have to adjust some as all motors are different ....good spark means alot on how well it works id say ...try it, you will feel the difference right away

I noticed the difference first time i fired it up - use it most tanks now, she does smoke when i fire it up but hey whats'a behind'a me shes a not important.

I intend to only add atf to the gas this winter but I have to admit I have never had any issues with leaving the bike over the winter. I fill the tank so it doesnt rust and start it from time to time to dry it out.

The problem I had noticed with ATF is that it does not stay suspended in the fuel.Not a big deal if you are riding the bike frequently,but not much help over the winter.Perhaps for storage two stroke oil would be better.

I wash and wax the bikes,fill the tanks,add an ethenal guard,drain or run out the carbs,charge and remove the batterys,change the oil,overfill the tires 5lbs,lube chains,drsin the breather catch and cover them up in the corner and don't touch them tell spring.

Unless ofcourse its the lucky bike that gets all my attention through the winter.Then it gets stripped beyound recognition and repaired/improved/updated or just plain changed.

Good point about the ATF - I will take your advice with the 2 stroke oil (gawd knows i have enough of it around here) - I generally keep the bike ready to uncover if it looks like two or three nice days in a row - rode every month for a while now

Should you cut the gas off and drain the carb,what is the best way to put a bike away for the winter?

I take out the filter and start dumping Seafoam down it's throat untill i drownd it out, and that's with reving it up to try and keep it running. Then I dump the rest, at least half a can, into the tank and make sure I top it off. I have to make sure I have it outside when I start it inthe Spring. First tank smokes like hell but never had it gum up or get clogged.

The night mares I've listen to from gas going bad are scary . Pickup sat for about a year and before starting to drive it the owner rebuilt the engine . New engine ran about 20 minutes before being moved outside to work on another vehicle . Next morning engine popped and wouldn't start . Pulling valve covers showed rocker studs pulled from heads and bent and broken pushrods. After complete tear down pistons had to be soaked in paint thinner to get rings loosened up. Junk yards here require new gas tank or no warranty on used engines . It appears that the ethenal is turning back to sugar with time . Looks like gas companies have created a monster adding ethenal to gas to create more profit .

I try to ride year round. But living in New England, mother nature doesn't always cooperate. If snow or extreme cold are in the forcast, this is what I do.
1: Run the gas to 1/4 tank or less and add fuel stabilizer. Then ride tofill the tank. Ya want the fuel and stabilizer mix to get to the carbs.
2: change the oil and filter.
3: After running till the cooling fan cycles at least once, shut her down and install rubber caps with hose clamps over the exhaust pipes to seal out moisture from sneaking into the engine through a partially open exhaust valve.
4: Put her on the center stand cover her up and wait for a break in the weather so I can ride again! :good:
IMG00017-20110112-1137.jpg