Wrap around windshield opinions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a standard windshield that I cut down 1.5" to be able to see over and it works well for me. My wife complains about buffeting and finds wind management worse than on a naked bike for her. I also get a fair amount of buffeting during strong side winds. We are going on a few extensive road trips this summer and I'm considering getting a wrap around windshield to mount just for these occasions.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-83-Honda-GL1 ... 3f1622b425

Does anyone have experience with these. I'm 5'7" and think I can learn to look through a windshield. I'm interested in if being wider it can help control buffeting from side winds. I've seen adjustable wind deflectors before but can't seem to find them for the oldwing.

Thanks

Jorg

Not much helps in side winds. Larger shield will help reduce buffeting over all though. If winds are strong enough though a large shield can act as a sail so you'll have to hold tight. Those side deflector are available for wings but are expensive. Chas has a link I think.

The wind wings that are adjustable have helped more than the wrap around shield. I have the wrap around and the wind still hit my passenger. Put the wind wings on and it helped move the wind from the passanger. Not totally but helped

Those are to mount on the windshield itself..to make it wider, basically. There are others that mount on the fairing, farther down. They help cool you in the summer, and provide a little wind protection in the cold. I sure would like to have some, meself.

Here's what we're talkin aboot....
click for link

oh dammit..... :Doh2: I just posted this for everyone to see, instead of keeping it meself, so I could buy them...dadgummit! :Doh2:
:smilie_happy:

toytender01":hqq1l54c said:
I have the wraparound shield It works good for me. No real problems with cross winds or passing on coming trucks. came with the faring. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Can you give a comparison to a stock windshield? Passenger comfort?

Thanks

Jorg

NO i can't drive this thing from the passengers seat. :smilie_happy: Actually the wife seams to be very comfy with it. She is used to driving dirt bikes herself and kind of enjoys the passenger seat, although she does not make as many back driving comments as she does in the cage :yahoo:

AApple":kz3rb1no said:
Those are to mount on the windshield itself..to make it wider, basically. There are others that mount on the fairing, farther down. They help cool you in the summer, and provide a little wind protection in the cold. I sure would like to have some, meself.

Here's what we're talkin aboot....
click for link

oh dammit..... :Doh2: I just posted this for everyone to see, instead of keeping it meself, so I could buy them...dadgummit! :Doh2:

I think that wing is mounted wrong.
Mine use the 2 left radio screws which brings the wing right up against the fairing.
Maybe 1200 is different?

toytender01":nqo3drh1 said:
NO i can't drive this thing from the passengers seat.

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Maybe iffin yer legs and arms were a wee beet longer? :smilie_happy:

89-300ce":30m8ysa8 said:
toytender01":30m8ysa8 said:
I have the wraparound shield It works good for me. No real problems with cross winds or passing on coming trucks. came with the faring. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Can you give a comparison to a stock windshield? Passenger comfort?

Thanks

Jorg

I can. The larger one cuts through the air better, and then there is the added protection from road debris that gets kicked up, and my wife says she likes it better. BUY IT.

~O~

I'm considering doing this to it.
windshield mod ala bmw improves airflow, visibility.jpg

So I can see over it and still maintain some protection. Apparently it's a BMW trick and seems to work quite well. Thoughts?

89-300ce":1vb6hin7 said:
I'm considering doing this to it.

So I can see over it and still maintain some protection. Apparently it's a BMW trick and seems to work quite well. Thoughts?
Sure looks like a Harley in the pic :smilie_happy:

89-300ce":18jqcc9t said:
BMW has conceded that they don't have the aerodynamic expertise that Harley does and have adopted the Batwing fairing into their 2013 line.

I have those fairing mounted moveable wings. They are really useful.
Now I want those wrap around screen too!
But I am cheap so maybe I will make something up with Lexian leftover from the sidecar project. :hihihi:

Jorg, I have a cee baily windshield it's not a wrap around but it's taller and I love it, it has the vent in the center too, and I have those wind deflectors, those are awesome man, if you want a really nice breeze on you and your passenger on a hot night, those will do the trick and if your freezing in the morning time, just close them.. Both of these items are worth every penny I spent on them..

littlebeaver":2vbqsq4f said:
Jorg, I have a cee baily windshield it's not a wrap around but it's taller and I love it, it has the vent in the center too, and I have those wind deflectors, those are awesome man, if you want a really nice breeze on you and your passenger on a hot night, those will do the trick and if your freezing in the morning time, just close them.. Both of these items are worth every penny I spent on them..

Question on those wind deflectors. Where abouts do they direct the air relative to the passenger? I always thought they would just move air around your legs/waist but looking at your album I wonder if they would affect air flow around the chest area of the passenger?

Latest posts