sand coming out of coolant impeller area?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm...condoms that never get used...I thought I was the only one with that problem! :whistling:

A little dab of gasket sealer will hold the O-rings in place if you don't have any petroleum jelly.

I can't seem to get the pump into its hole. And no I'm not talking about why I have unused expired condoms, I'm actually referring to the bike. Its a used pump that came out of the 1980 case part. I think knocking it out of the 1980 engine cover i may have changed some dimensions a tiny bit. I think I need to do some sanding on the small diameter area of the pump or widen the small hole in the engine cover.

Slabghost is correct, I think it mushroomed slightly from tapping it out. I sanded that outer edge and now I can get it this far... I think a little more sanding and I'll get it. It's not even in to the point where the o-rings touch anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20140830_124411.jpg
    IMG_20140830_124411.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20140830_124421.jpg
    IMG_20140830_124421.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 99
Be sure to polish any of the sanded area scratches out with crocus cloth. As Steve pointed out it should have a good coat of oil on it to assemble properly.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129783#p129783:1g44rmdt said:
slabghost » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:17 pm[/url]":1g44rmdt]
Be sure to polish any of the sanded area scratches out with crocus cloth. As Steve pointed out it should have a good coat of oil on it to assemble properly.

I never heard of crocus cloth before but i used 600 grit polishing sandpaper to finish it, no sanding marks or rough spots. I still had to use the mounting bolts to pull it into it's hole even with oil, but I think its going to be OK. Im in the middle of cleaning up the front of the engine and mounting it later today... Fingers crossed.

This was a bigger job than expected, but thanks to you guys I think it'll work out. Hope to never have to do this again...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129886#p129886:1z7nagsp said:
83gl1200 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm[/url]":1z7nagsp]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129783#p129783:1z7nagsp said:
slabghost » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:17 pm[/url]":1z7nagsp]

I never heard of crocus cloth before but i used 600 grit polishing sandpaper to finish it, no sanding marks or rough spots. I still had to use the mounting bolts to pull it into it's hole even with oil, but I think its going to be OK. Im in the middle of cleaning up the front of the engine and mounting it later today... Fingers crossed.

This was a bigger job than expected, but thanks to you guys I think it'll work out. Hope to never have to do this again...
Crocus cloth is iron oxide impregnated cloth that fine sands and polishes metal nicely especially nice for hard metals.

OK thanks. I am about to bolt the cover on, everything is cleaned up now, but I see that the old 1200 neutral switch only has 3 pins and 3 wires, the neutral switch that came in the new 1200 ltd cover has 6 wires... The new one is in better shape, can I use it, is the pin out the same? I haven't tried hooking it up and testing it, should I be worried about shorting something out?

If this switch indicates all gears and not just neutral that would be cool... Even though the bikes harness doesn't have the extra wires I could wire in one of these LEDs I think:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Universal-D ... ae&vxp=mtr

Advice?

A voltmeter or test light can be used to find the pin out.
The switch provides ground.

Heads up, during assembly be sure the trans is in neutral and the switch is in the neutral light position upon assembly/engagement with fork.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129929#p129929:xyqa3u8u said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 pm[/url]":xyqa3u8u]
A voltmeter or test light can be used to find the pin out.
The switch provides ground.

Heads up, during assembly be sure the trans is in neutral and the switch is in the neutral light position upon assembly/engagement with fork.

Right, I need to find my meter, its around here somewhere and then i can figure out the pinout. But until i find it, does this switch on the 85 1200 ltd cover indicate all gears? That was just my guess for the extra wires.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129933#p129933:38vasaii said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:57 pm[/url]":38vasaii]
Yes they do.

Thanks. Just that alone makes it worth buying the new cover. I'll definitely wire in a gear indicator then, have to order one... :music:

Thanks.
Do you understand what the description is trying to say for that eBay gear indicator:

-paste-
Stop guessing what gear you're in with this easy to install electronic gear indicator which replaces the existing display on your bike.

As long as your motorcycle has an electronic speedometer and an electronic tachometer (rev counter) you'll always know which gear your bike is in with a single glance.

Motorcycle LED digital gear was (Total: 6 files)

A total of 7 lines, according to the following colors to connect:

Red white --- power "+"

Green --- 0 Stall (shown: yellow N)

Brownish yellow --- 1 Stall

Black Green --- 2 Stall

Green Blue --- 3 Stall

Yellow and blue --- 4 Stall

Reddish brown --- 5 Stall

Description: Show "N" word when. It is yellow, indicating the number of other "1.2.3.4.5" time. They are red.

-end paste-

I have no electronic speedometer or tach and this doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with either, though it sounds like theyre saying its a requirement, but I don't get what they're trying to say.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129937#p129937:q5umoyhv said:
83gl1200 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:28 pm[/url]":q5umoyhv]
Thanks.
Do you understand what the description is trying to say for that eBay gear indicator:

-paste-
Stop guessing what gear you're in with this easy to install electronic gear indicator which replaces the existing display on your bike.

As long as your motorcycle has an electronic speedometer and an electronic tachometer (rev counter) you'll always know which gear your bike is in with a single glance.

Motorcycle LED digital gear was (Total: 6 files)

A total of 7 lines, according to the following colors to connect:

Red white --- power "+"

Green --- 0 Stall (shown: yellow N)

Brownish yellow --- 1 Stall

Black Green --- 2 Stall

Green Blue --- 3 Stall

Yellow and blue --- 4 Stall

Reddish brown --- 5 Stall

Description: Show "N" word when. It is yellow, indicating the number of other "1.2.3.4.5" time. They are red.

-end paste-

I have no electronic speedometer or tach and this doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with either, though it sounds like theyre saying its a requirement, but I don't get what they're trying to say.
This gadget uses your road speed and engine speed to indicate what gear you're in.
Can you post a link to it?
You wouldn't connect it to the speedo or tach but maybe the lights and housing can be used.

Latest posts