1982 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to show you guys something. I was doing a much needed cleanup of the garage this morning and discovered something in one of the boxes lying around, the one from FlexPVC. It had my return instructions and invoice, but it also had this:

IMG_0278_zpsn9y71mar.jpg

Yeah, that's a little pamphlet of the Constitution included with my order. It has the full text, a nice index, the Declaration of Independence, important dates and some quotations from the period. I read American history; biographies of all of the Presidents, everything from Jamestown to Obama, and this impressed me. What a nice little touch that was a complete surprise. Good for them.

A clean garage is a ....... clean. Maybe I can get something done

IMG_0280_zpsmrujtrod.jpg

On the left is my 76 Harley Aermacchi SS250 project.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170901#p170901:3ub3n35p said:
wedoo2 » 49 minutes ago[/url]":3ub3n35p]
A clean garage is a ....... clean. Maybe I can get something done

IMG_0280_zpsmrujtrod.jpg

On the left is my 76 Harley Aermacchi SS250 project.

Yep, a clean organized work area makes finding tools and working on stuff so much more pleasant.

Just finished rechecking valve clearance and I'm still in the 30s on #1 and #3 at 105. Pulling the head now and see what I can find out. I pulled the right side heads off the other two motors I have and we will get one good one out of all that. What a mess, Gold Witch living up to its name. It is no longer a her though.

I have the head off the right side and I have a couple of pictures to look at. I was hoping to find a bent valve or something obvious, but then maybe there is something obvious, but not to me.

Here are the cylinders. They are both very smooth to the touch. Number 1 on the right with the 30 lbs pressure.

IMG_0282_zpsh0rtj5df.jpg

Here is the head.

IMG_0281_zpsb3rdcyfk.jpg

Valves

IMG_0283_zps1trcyk1o.jpg

Does anyone see something questionable? Pictures look better than the parts

Looks to me like the exhaust valve isn't fully closed on the head. Try blocking the head on a table so the gasket surface is level. And fill the combustion chamber with light oil. If level drops check the ports if exhaust port is oily it's the exhaust valve not sealed. If the intake port is oily it's the intake valve.

I have heard of that and will do it. How do I know that the cam and valves are in the right position for this to be effective?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171025#p171025:3c9kntu3 said:
wedoo2 » 7 minutes ago[/url]":3c9kntu3]
I have heard of that and will do it. How do I know that the cam and valves are in the right position for this to be effective?
I would take the cam off to be certain the valves are closed.

I put some 3 in 1 oil in the combustion chamber area up to the top, but you know even if the valve does leak a bit I don't see anything here that would cause the knocking that I was hearing. I am starting to worry.

With the right combination of a lazy cylinder not firing or lagging, this engine can make a nasty knocking noise. I have heard it many times with the stock carbs when allowing the sync to get too far off.

#1 exhaust valve not fully closing huh. Do the same test on another head. The one that is sealed at the valves be sure the gasket surface is flat and even and use that one.

There is a free spot where the cam has no pressure on the valves......and they should be all closed good..and should not leak.....if fluid is passing by valve ....it well be bad on compression ....and I bet the knocking might be from that....with the heads off you can turn motor over by hand ...see when pistons top out that the turn around is consistent with all the pistons ....if one seems to lag it could be some looseness there....also can put finger lightly on piston while topping them out by hand and feel if is loose..cave tech mot[or bottom end check out...lol

I took all my heads to Motorcycle Bob for him to check out, and I ordered some valve seals. He can take it all apart and put it back together and I can watch when I take him the seals. Not having a spring compressor kinda tipped the balance. Bob is a long-time Honda mechanic and has helped me a lot over the years on motor stuff. It's funny, I've known him over 20 years and just learned his last name in the past couple months.

I've been reading through the engine knock thread and have a question. Could someone explain piston slap, how it happens and maybe how to diagnose it. Or what it means? I also read about an adjustment on the ignition that sounded a bit like a car distributor to advance / retard spark. Is that the case?

Getting my heads back tomorrow. Had three bent valves. Maybe this time tomorrow night it will run with out knocking. God I hope so I need a break on this thing.

Thanks Dan. I am about half way through the knock thread; did you ever decide on a cam for that bike, and what springs did you change? I am still reading through it but don't mind a spoiler alert.

Jack

Latest posts