1982 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's time now to fit the manifold on the bike. I have only done a rough cut of the PVC to this point so I want to center the manifold over the engine to make sure that everything lines up with the stock manifolds.

image.php

Obviously I made them too long so I can trim to size.

image.php

In this shot you can see that everything is in place and the pipe is cut to size. Everything is fitting very nicely.

image.php

This last shot shows how everything will look after I have the flange I need and all the PVC is glued. I will then paint the manifold black. This is looking very cool. It will eliminate the little tray that normally goes here but I will think of something.

image.php

Sorry about the quality of the pictures as it is too cold to open the garage door and, well I did the best I could with the lighting I have this morning.

Thanks guys, and Dan thank you. I haven't taken time to put stuff in the gallery yet. Intended to use it at some point. I didn't know that about Photobucket.

I was able to find another flange this morning. At Menards no less. $4. Here I have put together the manifold and prepared for paint.

image.php

And painted.

image.php

Here is the flange fitted on the bottom of the carb. I have the gasket that came with the part and I made another out of cork gasket material. It fit perfectly. As you can see I had to do quite a bit of cutting on the flange because there is connecting rod on one side that needs clearance and a lever on the other side. You can see that I drilled the holes for the bolts on the bottom of the carb and then used a key hole blade on my big drill to make an indentation to fit the nut and a 13mm socket. Seems to work fine. I don't think I will get an air leak.

image.php

This last shot is of the side of the carb and you can see that I have the pull throttle cable hooked up. The cable is going to have to be anchored somewhere otherwise it will not pull the throttle lever. I am open to suggestions. In the meanwhile I will get my wiring ready.

image.php

I have a question about a couple of hoses. One is the vacuum line from the ignition. What to do about that. Also I figure that the crankcase breather can just be blocked off. Don't know about either of these and don't remember reading about them in dkl's write up.

I found a vacuum and it will do nicely. The existing tubing for it, and the fuel line, are too short so I have to go into town and get some hose. I have it wired up. Started the hot on the choke and ran a line to the other side off of that and the wire to one side of the accessory terminal. I found a ground nearby. I am assuming that green wires are ground. This damn thing better work. I am so aching to ride it and have a lot invested time, energy and emotionally.

Well guys here is the set up. It does run but very poorly. The throttle linkage is not anchored yet as I have it tied down by a wire tie, so it is weird. It is now way too long. Need to figure out a correct set up with a shorter cable.

image.php

The bike is running pretty bad. If it gets under 2000 there are knocking sounds deep down. It will rev up pretty good and sound pretty smooth, so I am not worried about the motor at this point. These are the same that I heard with the stock carbs. Runs like the timing needs to be set.

I found a tuneup guide for this carburetor so I am going to try that out and see if I can get things set up. I'll pull the plugs next time I start it up and see what they look like. They are new.

I remember that he did. I was thinking that he set two of the screws 2 1/2 out and that is where I started. The pilot screw seems to be loose. I'm going to get something to spray around to make sure I'm not getting any air leaks too. There is a volume control screw that I need to figure out. Has something to do with the idle I believe.

I'm going to play around with it. The knocking does concern me. See if I can fix that.

ok ...try coking the the with you r hand to cut flow of air ...if it runs at rpm when you do that ...its a sign it is leaking air south of the carb in thathe base gasket or manifold ..most likely at the intake horns ....

Check for MANIFOLD leaks everywhere. Then adjust electric choke exactly like the VW sites recommend for the 34-3, it has to be right or it is impossible to get it right.....
..it is OK to set the idle high, close to 2000 is OK Big screw sets the idle. Plug vacuum on side, hook vacuum to outlet at front... Once again no leaks!!!!

I will try that Joedrum. Those o-rings are easy to get wrong, or even to keep on at all. I am going to stop for the night and watch some basketball, go back at it tomorrow. I really appreciate the feedback, and encouragement from you guys. If I have a good motor, this will be fine. And I think I have a good one.

I just saw your post dkl. I will do all of that tomorrow. Enjoy the camping.

another thing here ...when attaching manifold to motor ...always tighten horns down first ...all the way around ....the lastly tighten at the rubbers after cable and all thing are in place first ...this is the best sealing method on horns

What's the condition of the o rings, they flatten with age and should be replaced to be sure they maintain a good seal.

Btw, I copied all your single carb pics to your gallery here and re-linked all the pictures and made it ready for you to add more as needed.

Not much in the way of updates today. Got up early for church and then had some Easter family stuff. I come from a family of four kids and my parents are passed as is on sister and a brother, just this past fall, so I really like when we can get together. So not much done on the Gold Witch today. I did check for vacuum leaks and I could not get the motor to respond when I sprayed on the starter fluid around each joint.

Having problems getting it to idle and I feel I am following the instructions right. The motor sounds like hell below 2000-3000 and I don't know it that is carburetor or something worse. I am going to pull the valve covers tomorrow and check the clearance again. I think if I had a timing belt problem I would have know that by now. It looked spot on at the time. I did get the throttle secured and it is working okay for now. I will need a shorter one though to make this right. I am interested in how dkl, or anyone else has done that.

The intake o-rings are new btw. And thanks again Dan for the gallery help. I'll go in there and check it out.

Latest posts