1982 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pictures of what I got yesterday. All of the fittings are in. I ordered black 45s because all of the manifold will be black when I'm done. I couldn't find the rest in black but I have paint and I'm not afraid to use it. I am going to make the template today and start cutting. Notice the world's greatest tape measure. Carbon fiber on the top is the bomb.

image.php

This is the carb. You will see an electrical connection on the choke and I will hook up the positive wire to that, from the accessory terminal on the fuse box.

image.php

There is another silver connection on the other side off of the main jet cover. Not sure if that is for the ground. Or should I ground the carb off someplace else?? Can't imagine it not working.

image.php

The opening is 50mm so I need to find an air filter to fit that. I found a couple of them on ebay at, or under, $20. That is pretty cheap and it almost feels like I'm really cheaping out. That is a good feeling.

I will take pictures of the template after it is done, and how it use it to make the manifold. One thing at a time.

Hot wire goes to choke on one side, and jumps over to solenoid on other side. Ground it to one of the screws on carb body.

Thank you dKL. I guess that the solenoid is that piece with the connector opposite the chock in the third picture. It is listed as the main jet cover on a blow up of the carb that lists all of the parts. The list has no mention of a solenoid.

image.php

To be honest I'm not really sure what the solenoid does.

OK, here we go. This is my copy of DKL's template. Not nearly as elegant but I am but a simple motorcycle mechanic. I used the stock carbs to place the cutouts in the wood, then i put a mark with my Sharpie to center where my PVC should end up.

image.php

Then I started to piece the manifold together.

image.php

image.php

Then I placed it on the bike and everything seems to line up. Well, it actually does just didn't when I took the picture.

image.php

Still to do: Put on the 1 1/4" to 1" coupling, line up the stock manifolds, glue everything up and paint the rest of the parts black. Then phase two and get the carburetor mounted.

Forgive my French, oh forgive my cussing, but this is going to look bad ass. It's just too bad that you won't be able to see the carb and my $13 air filter.

image.php

Scchhheeeech. That is not me stopping for a deer but a pot hole in the game of modding. Here is the base I got from Flex PVC:

image.php

I see that dkl is in the forum right now and maybe he can tell me if he had to cut on his base. My bolts are too short. (This is not the first time I've heard that.) Looks like if I am to use this I am going to have to cut some off length ways. And I still want to add another piece of cork gasket.

image.php

My band saw is broke and ready for the trash soooo.

I was just cutting off the excess from the base in my vice with my saber saw. Got one side cut off, turned it over and started to cut and the thing broke in half. My fit is pretty much over now and the oxygen in the garage is getting back to normal. Just not my week to give up crack cocaine I guess. The bad thing is that the industrial supply house I would use is not open on the weekends.

Thanks slabghost. That is what I'll do when I get another piece.

Slow down just a bit and give us a chance to submit suggestions. I'm sure the garage was blue for a while with some colorful verbage.

I'm okay. It's possible I can find a substitute for that base. Thinking on it. This gives me time to get the manifold fitted just right. Got my cork gasket for the bottom cut and it looks good.

I am camping on the bikes and checked in, some of the VW carbs use short stud bolts, u can go to any parts house and get some longer carb mounting studs, be sure they are the right thread, u can use the nuts that came with carb to size the studs.....

The studs are inexpensive....the flange I use is a Spears 1 inch solid floor flange..
Off eBay.6

image.php

image.php

Solid flange is around 6-9 dollars depending on where ju get it.....side outlet cross is around 5- 10 dollars....rest of the fittings can be found anywhere, need 4each. 1x1 1/4 reducers. 4 each 1" 45 elbows probably cost about $10 for all of them. Need about 2 ft of SCH 40 PVC total around $30.

My total cost so far is:

Carburetor $80.00 eBay
Fittings $25.00 FlexPVC.com 5 way, flange, 45s ($13 shipping included)
1" X `1/4" Bushings $4.00 Local Industrial Supplier
1" Pipe 5' $3.00 Tractor Supply
Air Filter $13 Auto Zone

That would be it had it not been for a disintegrating flange. I have found a couple that will cost around $15 to get it here but I am going to look for it locally today. I appreciate your chiming in guys, and I hope that your camping weekend is fun dkl. I seen how to pack down those bikes. Total efficiency.

I usually camp at the Holiday Inn Express. You know, I got my little stove, string up a mosquito net over me and my honey. We even walk down to the lobby restroom just to make it a bit more inconvenient. :yahoo: Actually I love to camp but the wife hates it probably when I have taken her out it was miserable weather. But there was one night when we were dating.......

Latest posts