2015 ride to Alaska-Anyone seriously interested

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113849#p113849:3punk6el said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:00 pm[/url]":3punk6el]
I am hoping to ride to Alaska from Ohio in 2015. I am looking for others who would be seriously interested in riding to Alaska. I would have no problem with meeting up somewhere like Glacier Park
to head North.

I thought I had found a group who were going but I just found out I was wrong.

I plan on camping due to the high cost of motels. I have no concrete plans at this time. I have found that I want to go in an even number of bikes. Campgrounds usually let 2 tents to a site.

I hope to keep this thread open to anyone who would be seriously interested in making this trip and try to make some preliminary plans.

You know, sir. My backrest (the wife) and I might be interested, if you could time the ride away from them phuqin mosquitos!!!
This sounds like something we would do early in the summer.

Great that you -Tumunga(only bike 2-up) and ciaa1980-would be willing to do this. This makes 8 bikes. That is the number I was hoping for. As I stated earlier in the post. I am open to planning this trip with the 8 (bikes) of us.
I want to travel both the east and west side of the mountains up and back from the Alaska. I do not care which comes first.
When do you want to start this trip?
When do you want to be back home?

At this time I have:
CJAA1980-Omaha Neb
Peter Das-Portland Texas
Head -Pitt Pa
Dave J- Auburn Wa
Yamaha 96-Clifton Forge Va.
Eric-Pittsboro Ind
Leroy-Columbus Ohio
Wilcoy02- Marengo Ohio

Please post your suggestions and preliminary plans. This is your trip also not just mine. This will be OUR trip of a lifetime.

Well I will most likely not be able to make the 2015 trip due to still working. Retirement will be in Nov of 2015. So if another bike rider wants to join up, please let them. I may try for a trip up there in 2016 or so.

Depending on. The length of this trip and the timing I might be able to make it but I would not count me as a definite rider as my boss is really bad about approving vacations of more than 7 days even if you have the time coming

Just a thought, but the ALCAN can get pretty nasty at times and can be hard on vehicles. Have you considered the marine highway option (the Alaska State Ferry System)? You can go from Seattle or Vancouver by Ferry boat, it gets to the northenmost Ports (Haines or Skagway) and ride the interior from there? Its a great way to see some amazing scenery that cannot be accessed by road, and you can ride and visit the small towns on the way.

I grew up in SE Alaska, but that trip is not in the works for a few more years for me.

That and if actually made the trip, I likely would not come home. Getting a little tired of lower 48 life.

They offer state rooms or you can camp out on deck. They are kind of fun to travel on as you meet so many interesting people. And you cruise the inside passage as part of the trip.

Alcan Highway and the State Ferry System offer advantages either way. But from experience, once you pass Dawson Creek, fuel and sundries become very expensive, and services are defintely limited. The ALCAN has improved greatly, but its a 3 to 4 day trek to Whitehorse in areas of high bear population, and again VERY high travel expenses.

The ferry gives you a cruise experience (well not exactly, you have to buy food and drinks), and access to Alaskas Highway system through Haines.

Here is the site https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

The Alcan is one heck trek and something to experience.

I guess it would be a matter of choice, but SE Alaska offers some unique sites and experiences too. And you cannot drive there unless you use the ferries.

Oh once you are in Haines, you access the main part of the state via highway and can tour Anchorage and Fairbanks and sites in between, it is a trek just to tour Alaska alone and an experience that really should be had IMHO.

I just wanted to point out if there are members that would like to make the trek without the pains and difficulty that ALCAN can present, the ferry is the way to go.

And I really wish I could come with as I have tons of recommendations and friends that can show all a really good time.

I know some riders up there that would be happy to show you guys around too.

Happy to help, let me know if you have any questions.

Bear is a huge problem at times. You can not enter Canada with a firearm but in Alaska you can open carry a rifle, last I knew.... So you would need to buy/rent a rifle from a "Friend" and sell/return it before leaving. I have bike and motorbike camped up in the cascade mountains and have had black bears raid my camp. I had a starters pistol that works well to scare them off. Alaska has Brown Bears, GRIZZLY's and their as mean as they come.

Yes, they are an issue, but the key is to make your presence known in the wilds. Hang your food caches, keep them sealed, and I mean hang them high in a tree in a sealed cooler of some type wrapped in several bags (keep the scent from escaping), maintain garbage and keep it burnt. Big one is when moving in the woods is to make noise. If you creep around like a stalking nature freak, you will learn more about nature then you care to know. Bear I can prepare for, a Bull Moose in Rut, or a Moose cow protecting young, that scares me. They come out of nowhere, can run FAST in any thickness of brush, and wont forget that you are there. Wear a camp pan filled with spoons and blast an air horn from time to time, keep a raging fire, and generally a brownie will stay out of your way. If they bear or moose hear you coming they will stay hidden typically. Now there are exceptions, and you could not pay me enough money to camp on Kodiak Island, but in the southeast and interior, they are less intense. Dont get close, use a zoom lens instead of trying to sneak up, and PRACTICE tree climbing (brownies cant climb), if being chased run directly downhill, bears have to switchback as the front legs are shorter than the rear. Just use common sense and know you are going into their world, and you are okay.

Oh, a was watching the dumb Alaskan Bush people on Discovery (oh dont get me going on that norther version of Honey Boo Boo) show this week and learned they now have ferry service all the way to Whittier near Valdez, so it is possible to ferry up without even touching Canadian ground. I am not current on the Homeland Security (I will reserve comment on this for the forum where we can flame politically if we wish) Policies for transporting weapons on the marine highway, but that data will be on the website above. Never hurts to get your passport (Ibelieve it required for Canadian travel) so you can see that Canadian villages along the passage. When I was a kid we would drive to Prince Rupert, and catch the ferry there, you get some British Columbia riding that way and save big on the ferry passage fees. Just more of my ramblings. But I agree with the above poster, it is always good to have a bear gun (30-06 at a minimum, they have very thick skulls), dont care how big your pistol is, you will just piss a brownie or grizzly off with a hand gun, and you don't want to piss them off. Anyway, it is possible to ferry from Seattle to Whittier and never touch Canadian soil now, I just don't know if the passport comes into play or what the fire arms policies are.

Best bet is to knock your buddys legs out from under him/her when a bear attacks, then run. :shock: You may then have a hungry bear and a angry "EX" buddy running after you. The trick is to run faster than both of them. :whistling:

"I dont have to outrun the bear, I have to outrun you!" And people wondered why I ran cross country in High school...lol

At this time I have the 9 bikes to do this.

Wes- Ohio_ 83 gl1100
Leroy-Ohio-01- gl1800
Jim Mcarty-Thomas Georgia- 99 GW trike
CJAA1980-Plus 1 up -Omaha Neb
Peter Das - Portland Texas
tumunga-plus 1 up-Pittsboro Ind
Carl Wilson-Florida
Eric Head-Pitts Pa.
Dave00122-Meadowview Arizona

Some have not confirmed they are still interested.

Some thoughts:
start out sometime early July 2015 10days up, 10 days there, and 10 days back
Meet near Minot North Dakota to Cross into Canada
North on 2 from Edmonton
camp 1 night at Ft. Nelson as there is a hot spring to soak up the tired riding muscles
make base camp at Denali National Park

Ferry has been suggested but I get sea sick so I won't be doing the ferry for several days

Please e-mail me if you are serious about doing this ride as I want to keep this to 6-8 bikes.
Also please keep the suggestions coming

Latest posts