75 v 82 cams

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eric you have done a lot of work to the stock rack in the past yr or so ... slightly modified ..LOL...i also have a slightly modified weber single .... only took me a year or so too... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :builder: :doh: :builder: :doh: :builder: oh my :hihihi:

Man this thread has morphed into something interesting, well past the my initial post and that's the beauty of this place.

Begs some questions for me though. It seems a lot of people want to emulate that 1000 speed on their 1100's.

And they are fast as standard, I can testify to that!!

First question. (And the rest will most likely come later.)

Has anyone ever tried to put a 1000 carb rack on an 1100, or is that even feasible?

Seems to me that it ain't only cams that make the early GL1000's the fast (expletive) that they are.

I honestly believe there is much more to it.

yes the 1000 racks do fit and work on 1100's. They do not however have the vacuum port for the vacuum advance.ekvh has a set on his 1200 build. A bit modified he says. :smilie_happy: :builder:

OK, so second question.

With a GL1000 C5 ignition set, would a vacuum port even be necessary?

Right now I run a HOTT/Weber set up and it's just as good as the 1100 rack apart from the fact that it never goes out of sync'.

But I wouldn't be opposed to going back to a quad set if it makes it run like the 76 GL1000 I rode for a few weeks in 2002.

C5 has no need of vacuum or mechanical advance and if you already have a good running single carb I really doubt a 1000 rack would give any increased performance.

My '83 with a completely rebuilt engine is running great with a rebuilt 1000 rack on it - instant starts, smooth with no flat spots. I am a fairly gentle rider, so I don't know if the drag racers here would appreciate it, but it moves my 280 pound frame very nicely. No vacuum advance, and I hope to get a C5 in it soon.

I should add here that I messed around with jets a lot, but eventually changed the amount of vacuum in the slides by partially blocking one hole. I am back to stock jets with the partially blocked slide. The idle jet measures a little larger than 35, but it was done be a po. I have some backfiring, or or popping, out of the exhaust when decellerating at higher rpm.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133174#p133174:3lo8i5s6 said:
chilidawg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 pm[/url]":3lo8i5s6]
Man this thread has morphed into something interesting, well past the my initial post and that's the beauty of this place.

Begs some questions for me though. It seems a lot of people want to emulate that 1000 speed on their 1100's.

And they are fast as standard, I can testify to that!!

First question. (And the rest will most likely come later.)

Has anyone ever tried to put a 1000 carb rack on an 1100, or is that even feasible?

Seems to me that it ain't only cams that make the early GL1000's the fast (expletive) that they are.

I honestly believe there is much more to it.

ok yes chilli ... i have made 2 1100s ...with early cams and early 1000 carb racks ...they are the biggest stock carbs ...75-77....as they match the cams 75-77 .....the angry dresser is a fast bike set up this way ... fully dressed it was never challenge by stock 1000s and there were some trys at a few meet and greets i went to by other forums ....i can also say on your bike the 1100 with early cams should be toasting the early 1000s ...hmmmm i know you are using the 32-36 carb ...ive got one but have not tried it ...all i can say is ..if your bike with 32-36 carb and early cams ...will not run with a early 1000 bike ...there something not quite right ...could be just to big a carb and air flow cant get the gas out of it ... i know for sure that theres no way the cv stock carbs can run with hooch and its dft 32-34 set up ... and my bike the angry dresser set up like your were talking 1100 early cams and 1000 carb rack cant either ... the execution time on hooch going from bottom to top is quick ..much quicker than stock cv carbs can do ...it just dont matter that there is 4 carbs ...cv carbs can not compete with a strait carb that dosnt use vacuum ...witch make the dft weber instant response ....as far as moving out down the road the execution time of the dft weber is all over the stock rack ...and thats all it takes ...power can be the same ....

you should make a video of your bike so we can get a feel for it ...and how its running :yes:

I will Joe!

The engine is totally buttoned up as of tonight, tomorrow is full of exhaust, engine guards, strapping on suspension pipe and plastic stuff.

As soon as it's photogenic enough I'll try to shoot a video, 'cos seriously, my bike ain't as pretty as most of what you guy's produce.

But it is the result of 15 years of trying.

And I mean I really will try. I just ain't never had anyone give that much of a $#!T about it before!

We don't , well at least Joe and I certainly don't care what it looks like. We do however want everyones bike to run it's very best. I look forward to helping in whatever way I can.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133334#p133334:1ms6jdxo said:
joedrum » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:31 am[/url]":1ms6jdxo]
ooooh!!!!!!! the classic attitude i love it ... :cheeky: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :mrgreen:

:0fftopic: alert:

Well it's why we don't have a Bike of the Month contest or any kind of bike contests like that.
We are all mostly here to enjoy our bikes, not so much to show them off and I feel those contests hurt a guy's pride mostly since even those that don't win are still great bikes.

Where do I start? I guess it's got to be somewhere, so here it is! Rebuild is now complete &.......

I now own the tightest, smoothest running 82 goldwing I have ever owned and I honestly believe that includes the 82 I had in 84, and definitely includes every metamorphosis of this bike I have ever put on the road in 15 years! It is also stronger than any 1000 I have ever ridden. Gee Joe, you really got that one right, for sure!

But! And there has to be one don't there? Only if I am super smooth on the gas, any attempt at goosing it makes it bog down like a mother-expletive, even hitting it at 4.5K in 2nd, it will bog, now when it recovers, it is nothing but fast :mischief:

I just know, this bike would be nothing but awesome, if it where only responsive. the only real change I made this time (apart from finding 2 heads that work perfectly together and rebuilding them with 75 cams) was to replace the 2 1/2" high air filter with a 1 3/4" to make more room for the suspension compressor and not have to cram down on the fake tank covers so much.

I have also pulled the filter to make sure that the now free floating choke flaps did not close when goosed, and they are not.

My only fix so far for this, has been to give the Weber more left twist on the mixture screw and it don't seem to be working, I am now at about 5 turns out from closed.

I have tried to upload movies with no luck, they are either too big or corrupted somehow.

Any ideas are appreciated Fellas, thanks.

Plugs, I'm going to look at those tomorrow.

It could be air leaks in the adapter/transition piece, but I was really careful putting it together.

Idle, I am completely backed off on the screw and am at about 1.8K on hot idle, usually I would expect about 1.5.

This motor and carb combination ran great earlier this year with a pair of 77 cams, nowhere near as strong, but with 43 mpg's.

Thanks for getting back.

Mine would bog before I did jetting changes.
I went bigger on both the air and primary main jet.
Bigger air will then cause less gas to be drawn in, so the gas jet has to go bigger.

If your secondary power feels good don't do anything with it yet.
Work on getting primary good without the bog. Secondary is easy to tweak later.

This is what I would do but then again there are others getting better mpg but mine is running very good with smooth power no matter where I put the throttle at all rpm's.