75 v 82 cams

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136456#p136456:2jbbsjs4 said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:56 am[/url]":2jbbsjs4]
brian his carb is not a dft weber .... its a 32-36weber ...and has different jetting set up ...

But in post #55 he says it's a DFT 32/32 :headscratch:

Sorry for the confusion fella's, my fault, I didn't explain myself very well.

I contacted HOTT yesterday, he checked the delivery note for the carb and it is a DFT 32/32.

Then to confirm I calipered the chokes and they are both 31.5mm.

Thanks for the links.

chillidawg i am very confident now we can get your bike really performing well ... brian has a set up close to yours ... and his is running real well down low where you are having trouble ...

We haven't seen any pics of your setup but in post #24 you say you have a HOTT type manifold. Does it look like this?

If so then do you have a Transdapt 2 to 1 adapter on the top for the DFT 32/32 carb to bolt to? If so, that adapter can be tricky to mount without getting air leaks at the carb to adapter junction due to the slotted holes in the adapter. But you say that it idles nice and smooth and at about 1000 rpm...is that true?

Brian

Just as a point of reference, I bought my 32/32 DFT, new, from Tom Langdon with the following jetting:

Primary idle jet #50
Primary main jet #110
Primary air jet #160

Secondary idle jet #60
Secondary main jet #95
Secondary air jet #220

I swapped the idle jets to eliminate the bog but changed them back after heating the plenum. I swapped the primary main jet into the secondary position after drilled the secondary main jet out to 120. I also added the Transdapt 2 to 1 adapter to the manifold. So here is the jetting I have now:

Primary idle jet #50
Primary main jet #120
Primary air jet #160

Secondary idle jet #60
Secondary main jet #110
Secondary air jet #220

My bike now runs well, with no bogging or hesitation with now heat to the plenum.

Brian

Wow Brian that's a lot of good information to take in.

Firstly, yes that is my exact manifold and yes I do have the 2-1 adaptor.

I'm attaching a photo of how my carb is set up, the 2 center brass jets are a 220 at the top and a 160 at the bottom.

The other 2 outer ones are what I thought were unused and plugged off.

When I rode it to NC earlier this year I was getting 43mpg just as it is now at a 60mph cruise, never did on that trip really try to get any real horsepower riding out of it, though a few times, when I tried to increase speed in top gear from 75mph, it spluttered some.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Weber dft 32-32 002.jpg
    Weber dft 32-32 002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 77
yes it really amazing how the heat thing and super insulating things in my opinion is like the complete wrong thing to do on my bike .....ive had it running in some cold temp with no problems......

well chilli i knew brian bike was close to yours ...might try his jetting as a starting point :mrgreen:

That is a pretty good looking manifold design IMO so I don't that should be a problem. Very small plenum and the 2 to 1 adapter should keep charge velocity high. If it idles well then probably don't have any vacuum leaks. It idles nice and even right?

Next move is to take those outside 2 jet holders out and see what size idle jets you have. You said that you have Adler screw turned out 5 turns which would indicate way too small primary idle jet.

You say the middle 2 jet holders have 220 jets on top and 160 on the bottom. Are you sure it isn't 220 on the top of one and 160 on the top of the other?

Brian

I was running early cams in the 1100 engine.
I liked the top end, bottom suffered but together with a single it was much better on low end, surprisingly good. C5 added to the smoothness all around. I ran it both on stock 1100 ignition then on C5 for a good comparison.
It's a very sweet combination once everything is dialed in.

Since I have been studying Brian's exploded diagram I have learned a great deal more about my carb.

As soon as I have all the data collated correctly I will post it, Thanks fella's, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136544#p136544:310fuvl0 said:
chilidawg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 pm[/url]":310fuvl0]
Since I have been studying Brian's exploded diagram I have learned a great deal more about my carb.

As soon as I have all the data collated correctly I will post it, Thanks fella's, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

By the time you get that carb tuned in you will be an expert. BTW, that is an excellent carb...very easy to change jets.

Like I said before, be sure that you don't have any air leaks where the carb bolts down to the 2 to 1 adapter. Those slotted holes in the adapter can end up inside of the very narrow flange parts of the carb so you get an air leak. On mine I added a plate made out of 1/8" aluminum with holes to match the carb and glued to the adapter flange with Permatex sealer. Like this

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136552#p136552:1unyvabl said:
dan filipi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:42 pm[/url]":1unyvabl]
Looks great but will the permatex stand up to gasoline?

Says it "resists automotive fluids" so I'm thinking gasoline...hmm. :headscratch: But I must confess I have no experience with this stuff.

Latest posts