76. Small oil drip from the timing covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people have been using an old Chevy fuel pump diaphragm to rebuild their pumps with. Can't remember where but I have seen the article....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127309#p127309:2vuvafxk said:
joedrum » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:11 am[/url]":2vuvafxk]
hmmm the fuel pump could be the cause here of all things ....it his is same head that the bolt was leaking from .... time to fix this fuel pump for sure ...it is putting gas in the oil ...i am sure stop riding it and fix this ...take valve cover off and you will probably see signs of gas there or huge odor of it ... replacing fuel pump with good one may fix everything ...after changing oil ... seens the motor flush time is over to say the least ... bet even oil filter will be gassy smelling ... thats where id go first ...after its open up ..valve cover off ... i dont think head gasket is blown at the moment...take pics and post what you find and smell

I just pulled the valve cover off on the right side. It definitely smells like gas. The new fuel pump is on its way. Got a brand new oem honda pump off ebay for $90. Ill install the pump, warm the bike a little, and do an oil change. I have put some miles in the bike with the pump like this. I was not aware it was the pump until recently, Im new lol. Hope I havent hurt anything. I bet the inside of that motor gonna be sparkly clean tho.

I suggest you go ahead and change the oil. Then after the pump change run it a bit and change it again. Don't want any bearings running with gas as lube.

+1 in change now and then after a good run again ( I wouldn't change the filter until the second change but I would empty it)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127405#p127405:3k5ee8gt said:
Ansimp » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:25 pm[/url]":3k5ee8gt]
+1 in change now and then after a good run again ( I wouldn't change the filter until the second change but I would empty it)

Sounds like a plan. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Prolly won't get the pump till close to the end of this week. Just ordered it today.

I took a video but i cant get it to load. I installed the new fuel pump and that issue is fixed. The oil is still leaking from the head. I think the lower boss that has the 10mm bolt joe spoke of is cracked. May need a new head but I'm not sure. Oil is still dripping from the belt covers and all three seals are new. I installed them myself so im not sure where the f$&* the oil is comming from there. And now this thing is leaking coolant from the over flow tube. When the bike gets warm and the fan kicks on you can see the bottle swell with air. Its hard to explain so I took a video which wont load. Oh man, what a day. I think all of this, except for the belt cover leak, is due to the head or head gasket issue. When it gets to temp and the bottle swells it starts to burn coolant. Anyone help with the video? It would be so. Much easier to just show you.

How are you trying to load the video, by uploading it here?
Usually that isn't the best way because many browsers have trouble playing the video so we upload it to Youtube then link to it.

If you don't have a Youtube account then you could email the video to me and I'll upload it to my Youtube and link it here.
[email protected]

gee bromko your seem to be exactly right id say heads gasket also ....air under pressure can only come from outside the cooling system or a almost completely blocked flow of cooling system making steam ... it time to get into this big time ... first thing i would do is get thermostat out of bike put it back together and see if same stuff still happens if it dose its got to head gasket failure ...loosen thermo cover take out thermostat and reattach... not a super easy job but not super hard either ... just not much room .... but this is certainly tell all test

Here is a pic of the Lower boss area with the 10mm bolt. What I originally thought to be a milky oil coolant mix is actually some kind of JB weld. I think the PO cracked the head and did a shitty job fixin it. That looks like a crack to me. All of a sudden a bad gasket dont sound too bad. :roll:

Dan. Can u move this into my other thread? 76 oil drip. Thought thats where this was goin but....oops
image.jpg

(post moved, df)

Definitely gasket failure, or worse case, cracked head(s)..... :crying:

Either way, pull the heads. You'll then know for sure if the oil is coming from a crack, and heads are pretty cheap on eBay if you need one. The right gasket is toast, but always do both.

Is changing the gaskets pretty basic? Unbolt then bolt on? I know ima have to take off the radiator and belts, agin. But after that, straight forward? Also, do u guys see the crack on that head or is it just me seein things? That dirty stuff dont wipe off. Its definitly some sort of patch work.

Also, from the original reason for this post before it evolved into a cluster f*#%, there is still a small oil drip from the belt covers. I changed all three seals in there. Any ideas on where else the oil could be comming from or how to diagnose it? The oil is definitly coming from behind the belt covers in addition to thehead issue. Could they be related? The only other thing i can think of is the oil is seeping from the split line on the case itself. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLD-WING ... ba&vxp=mtr

What are ur thoughts on this guy. May as well go all out?