'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At very least the oil pump should packed in grease to Prime it. Then once the motor is assembled. Plugs out ignition off run the starter to get oil pressure before first start attempt. To me this is minimal pre lube. Any less you risk damage and possibly oil pump failure.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185371#p185371:2l84frxl said:
slabghost » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:30 pm[/url]":2l84frxl]
At very least the oil pump should packed in grease to Prime it. Then once the motor is assembled. Plugs out ignition off run the starter to get oil pressure before first start attempt. To me this is minimal pre lube. Any less you risk damage and possibly oil pump failure.

Yes, that is the method that the experts at NGW agree on. Which I have no problem with and is a much better method than I used when I re-ringed (re-rang?) the 1100 engine. Which was just turn the gas on and start it up.

The reason I posted on their site was to find out if anyone else had tried priming the engine by spinning the oil pump with an electric drill, should it work and could I do harm doing it. It bugged me that all I got was questioning why I was even doing it and if I had put the engine together correctly it wasn't necessary and this is how I should be doing it. etc. etc.

I wouldn't want to bring up the subject of single carb conversion or using Tracker rings over there.

Anyway...moving on...this morning I ordered all of the gaskets and o-rings that I need to finish the engine off. So in the meantime I am going to strip the old '82 and remove the 1100 engine and get it ready for the 1200 powerhouse. :builder:

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185375#p185375:2piz1rg9 said:
backlander » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm[/url]":2piz1rg9]
Cam assembly line too, cam lobes take a beating on dry crank
Good point Backlander. The 1200 cams I have are far from pristine as it is so need to be kind to them. I coated all the lobes with moly grease...the same stuff used for the rear drive splines.

Agreed! When possible a pre lube of any method beats a dry start. As long as there are no additives that affect clutch or break in.

[/quote]It's amazing how well that pump works when you turn it in the right (correct) direction. The engine turns clockwise from the front but counterclockwise from the rear :head bang: :head bang: :Doh2: :Doh2:

Anyways, driving the oil pump with a drill from the back is a very easy way to pre-lube your freshly assembled engine. I now know that I will have oil pressure as soon as the starter spins the engine over.

Brian[/quote]

Just a lucky guess on my part (Not based on experience, of course not..)

Tom

Taking a look at the electric fuel pump: I figured out a way to rubber mount it using pieces of hose and the OE pump mount bracket that came with the engine.

Honda Prelude pump
Pieces of hose in the mounting holes
Pump mounted on engine

i know it's kind of ugly but will do for testing purposes.

Brian

Man, where has this thread been hiding at? I know... right under my nose.

I have some reading to do to get caught up... What are you planning to do to supply power to that pump?

That is exactly my next question :headscratch: . I'm hoping that someone who has installed an electric pump, might give me some guidance. :beg: :help:

I took a look at the '84 wiring diagram in the Gallery section :read: : it shows power to pump when key is in the "on" position. And it shows the pump is powered through a relay. But I need details where to make the connections.

Brian

If it were mine I'd use the coil feed to energize the relay and run a wire from the battery terminal of the solenoid through the relay to power the pump.

So here is a shot of the connections at the solenoid that I think SG is talking about. One terminal is marked BATT and the other is ENGINE. Is it the ENGINE one that I feed the pump from? Should I put an inline fuse on that new feed? If so, what size fuse?

Dan I have a 12 volt double pole relay already. Could I use the same feed for power to both poles of the relay...feed the pump with one pole and the coils with the other? Note, This an industrial relay but is not an automotive relay.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185542#p185542:30i3kp6y said:
slabghost » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 am[/url]":30i3kp6y]
If it were mine I'd use the coil feed to energize the relay and run a wire from the battery terminal of the solenoid through the relay to power the pump.

That's how I did it. The black/white wire triggers a relay that I installed for that purpose. A previous owner had removed the air ride suspension but the wires were still going to the back or the bike, so I just wired the relay into that harness.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185554#p185554:3syvmtou said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:41 am[/url]"]So here is a shot of the connections at the solenoid that I think SG is talking about. One terminal is marked BATT and the other is ENGINE. Is it the ENGINE one that I feed the pump from? Should I put an inline fuse on that new feed? If so, what size fuse?

Now that I think about it MOTOR probably means starter motor so I batter connect to the BATT terminal.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185558#p185558:h4q3id3n said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 am[/url]":h4q3id3n]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185554#p185554:h4q3id3n said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:41 am[/url]":h4q3id3n]So here is a shot of the connections at the solenoid that I think SG is talking about. One terminal is marked BATT and the other is ENGINE. Is it the ENGINE one that I feed the pump from? Should I put an inline fuse on that new feed? If so, what size fuse?

Now that I think about it MOTOR probably means starter motor so I batter connect to the BATT terminal.
:yes:

I am pretty sure that I have mentioned this before, I can't legally install a fuel pump relay without an automatic cutoff circuit here in Oz. Either an oil pressure switch or some form of tachometric relay so that the pump will not run if the vehicle engine has stopped running.

Latest posts