about to mount first try at single carb setup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got back from 75 mile ride with new setup. Again low 60's in so. cal. today.
Filled up fuel at start and refilled after ride. 1.9 gal. so about 37 mpg. good enough for me. mostly freeway and also blvd. riding.
Ran great and I really couldn't tell when secondary started, pretty smooth all the way up.
That being said the off idle flat spot is not completely gone but very manageable. It may be from the non-heated plenum, I say that because after bike is warm
and I make a short stop like at a store, when I leave there is absolutely no flat spot at all. After more riding flat spot returns.
However it is so slight ( it is almost not there I just have to mention it in fairness to ride report ) I am going to keep going for now with no heat added and see what happens.
Like I think Joe said, is it good enough? Oh Yes it sure is. When warmed up it starts so fast I don't even hear the starter cranking and when cold starting maybe cranks for 1 to 2 seconds before firing up.
I took off electric choke so I have to hold it at about 2000 rpm for about 1 min. before it will idle on it's own.
Fast , smooth , reliable everything I had hoped for. Thanks go to everyone here on this board and also some other boards.
This is something I had wanted to do at least 10 years ago but there seemed to be too many problems with the setups.
You all have taken most of the questions out of this conversion. :thanks:
One other thing, I have a unique fairing on my bike that kinda funnels all the air output from radiator to area where plenum and runners are, then out by my legs.
This may reduce my need for heating?
Not by design, just by coincidence. It is an adapted ninja fairing from the 80's. Here's a pic.
dave

Attachments

• bike with carb.jpg
    bike with carb.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 131
Thanks, top half fit no problem, lower half I had to cut and widen, and area around cams and carb I had to make up from scratch.
There are so many sportbike guys (young military ) near where I live and this is my cheap idea of a oldwing sportbike. I enjoy the strange looks I get from other riders.
dave

Attachments

• fairing.jpg
    fairing.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 177
  • fairing2.jpg
    fairing2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 176
I like that a LOT!! Looks like it will funnel a lot more air through the radiator than a stock fairing. And I like the low maintenance finish. Around here though I'd keep mufflers flat to keep the rain out.

I only ride in good weather and we have good weather here. We do expect the first real rain of the year starting tomorrow so that's why I wanted to get test ride in today.
It's in garage nice and dry.
dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111146#p111146:3ph6rd2o said:
who444444 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:30 pm[/url]":3ph6rd2o]
Thanks, top half fit no problem, lower half I had to cut and widen, and area around cams and carb I had to make up from scratch.
There are so many sportbike guys (young military ) near where I live and this is my cheap idea of a oldwing sportbike. I enjoy the strange looks I get from other riders.
dave
file.php

file.php

Hmmmm
Oldwing sport bike theme.
I cannot ride naked (too much wind LOL) so this is very tempting.
Although I am thinking about putting convertible soft top on my wing.. totally unnecessary around here but wanna try. :hihihi:

hen I start having wild thoughts ...sometimes you just have to go to room till your better skiri ...LOL

now if hooch was dress up like this bike is ...oh my ... it would do a number on the road rocket guys

batwing does have a good sound to it.
That yellow "enduro" wing is crazy and very professional looking.
dave

Another ride update. Bike was feeling good so I thought it deserved an oil and filter change. So, change oil and filter and lube cables clutch and throttle. Might as well check timing belts.
I did it without removing radiator but what a pain (never again).
went riding and a couple of times bike stalled pulling to stop at end of offramp situation. Hmmm,
sounded like something that had happened to me before on some vehicle but I couldn't remember.
Off to the Internet and 2 hrs later had a few choices to look at.
Most were related to efi and computer problems on newer bikes. further sorting gave me this.
1. idle to low.
2. clutch cable not adjusted properly.
3. idle mix incorrect.

My idle was on low side of 1000 so made it high side of 1000.
Well I did mess with clutch cable to lube it (so readjusted it more carefully)
Rechecked my idle mix screw and decided it was best 1/2 turn further out ( now 1 and 3/4 turns )
Rode again and no more stalling in similar situations.
But the point of this ramble was adjusting idle screw a half turn more completely got rid of my occasional flat spot off idle. Still will happen before bike is at operating temp but once warm I can now idle out from 1000 rpm without hardly any clutch slipping. (know what I'm saying?) Now I'm in warm climate and don't ride in cold weather much so this is just my experience. But I gotta say WOW!! Biggest grin on my face so far. Just a half turn more. I'm running errands for my wife just for an excuse to ride. I think I'll go riding again tomorrow. Oh still around 36 to 37 mpg. Anyone on the fence about conversion should just go for it.
dave