Another 34 Pic 3 Build!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180410#p180410:38kvavex said:
slabghost » 25 minutes ago[/url]":38kvavex]
Plugs look pretty good from here. Maybe about 4 oz of atf in the oil will clear the garbage allowing the seal to leak. It makes a great cleaner in oil too.

I will add 4oz of atf to my oil tomorrow before the ride to work. Thanks for the tip.

I just took a test ride after adjusting the accelerator pump to full stroke. Stumble got much worse. :headscratch: I adjusted it back from full to 1/4 stroke. Huge difference! Almost all the hesitation is gone. I couldn't ride again tonight, so I'm going to back the accelerator pump back all the way to the shortest stroke tomorrow before riding to work. I think I am on the cusp of having her fully tuned in! :clapping:

Thanks for the feedback on the plugs. I shall heed the advise. :thanks:

I couldn't ride to work Monday due to weather but I took a few minutes before work to move the accelerator pump to minimum setting. Took it for a drive. The little bit of stumble off idle did not go away, but I did notice I lost that instant throttle response in all other areas. So, I'm back at 1/4 accelerator pump setting.

I inquired with two other guys on this site using very similar carbs. Neither of them report this quirk I am struggling with. Hmmm. So what is different? One thing I know of...exhaust system. Both those guys, DKL and Brianinpa, have original stock exhaust whereas my stock mufflers were cut in half by PO. In the past I have installed many different aftermarket exhaust systems on bikes. Almost always, jetting and mixtures must be adjusted for optimal performance. I am now thinking that maybe my current modified exhaust system is not allowing sufficient back pressure.

I had plans for a different exhaust anyway, so my next step is to leave my carb alone and install the exhaust I want (home made, longer straight pipes) then tune the engine the best I can. My friend with the modified 82 Aspy removed his rotted stock system for four straight pipes. During the process he test drove his bike with different configurations of exhaust. He found a big gain in low end power when he installed his final system, four 1.25" straight, unbaffled pipes that reach out 6" beyond his rear tire.

Straight pipes 6" past his rear tire? :roll: Maybe he likes the sound, but not many of his neighbors do :hihihi:

I have permanently ringing ears as is. I'd prefer exhaust be so quiet I hear the valves tapping. :good:
Slabghost, took the words out of my mouth! :hihihi: The drone in your ears sucks, & not in a good way :yes:

It is not as loud as you would imagine. The longer the pipes, the quieter it gets. I usually ride behind my buddy and I can't hear his exhaust at all on the highway if not aggressively accelerating.

I didn't get any time with the bike for several days but had the opportunity to ride to work and back, an 80 mile trip. I realized then that I still have some adjusting to do on this carb. To put it simply, it is very easy to stall the bike when starting to move and I noticed a definite lack of bottom end power. Once the rpms started to climb, the power picked up a lot. So, I continue to experiment...

I put some restriction into the exhaust system by using bits of steel wool in some small areas inside the muffler. No noticeable difference. I then added some 18" extensions to my exhaust to add a little more back pressure. Again, no difference in performance (and I didn't care for the sound).

When last visited, the pilot jet that originally was a .55mm was drilled to a .60mm. The idle mix screw was at 3.5 turns, the main jet is a 142.

The lack of low rpm power got me to thinking it could still be lacking fuel. So, I drilled the pilot yet again, this time I went to .65mm. A couple quick tests on the road, starting and stopping (my neighbors are beginning to look at me funny) seemed to show some good improvement in both take off smoothness and low end pick up. I should be able to ride to work again tomorrow so we will see if I am making progress or not.

hmmmmmm ...im surprised the bigger idle jet is giving better torque ...but if you work the carb it will lead to the right path ... for sure it runs good enough now for you to know it will dial in ....

Dan, I believe the same. The accelerator pump squirt helps for a brief moment then it is gone and the idle jet is left alone to pick up the work load until the rpms reach the main jet zone and she starts pulling harder. This is my theory for today. The ride to work will test the theory.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180568#p180568:2asrwqsn said:
fivestring » September 14th, 2016, 6:05 am[/url]":2asrwqsn]
I couldn't ride to work Monday due to weather but I took a few minutes before work to move the accelerator pump to minimum setting. Took it for a drive. The little bit of stumble off idle did not go away, but I did notice I lost that instant throttle response in all other areas. So, I'm back at 1/4 accelerator pump setting.

I inquired with two other guys on this site using very similar carbs. Neither of them report this quirk I am struggling with. Hmmm. So what is different? One thing I know of...exhaust system. Both those guys, DKL and Brianinpa, have original stock exhaust whereas my stock mufflers were cut in half by PO. In the past I have installed many different aftermarket exhaust systems on bikes. Almost always, jetting and mixtures must be adjusted for optimal performance. I am now thinking that maybe my current modified exhaust system is not allowing sufficient back pressure.

I had plans for a different exhaust anyway, so my next step is to leave my carb alone and install the exhaust I want (home made, longer straight pipes) then tune the engine the best I can. My friend with the modified 82 Aspy removed his rotted stock system for four straight pipes. During the process he test drove his bike with different configurations of exhaust. He found a big gain in low end power when he installed his final system, four 1.25" straight, unbaffled pipes that reach out 6" beyond his rear tire.

Length makes a big difference fer shore, Im surprised tha four individual pipes work good without any crossover.

Just arrived at work. I am happy to report ALL hesitation is gone! This thing acts like an aminal!

Starting off from a dead stop is effortless. Cornering in 2nd or even 3rd and rolling on the throttle is smooth and strong.

I am not quite done yet. I have a notion I could step down one size on the main jet. I'm getting a wee little 'gurgle' when backing off the throttle from steady cruise.
Definitely a big forward step today! :clapping:

I think I am finished tweaking the carb. It is running very well with no flat spots, easy starts and very good performance throughout the rpm range. Plug color is good and hot or cold starts are instant.

Main jet 142
Idle jet .65
Idle mixture 2.75 turns

Fuel mpg is low 30's. I wish it better but it's not a big deal. She likes the fuel and the payoff is performance.

I am completely satisfied with the whole conversion. Thanks to all who helped me along the way.

Latest posts