Ansimp's '81 Resurrection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 10...

I installed the shroud from my '83, since Dan is so kind to donate one to the cause. I know some people leave them off, but I'm thinking that it keeps any water that gets splashed through the radiator from the coils and plug wires. Besides, it's not my bike to experiment with. After testing the thermostst and fan switch, I installed them in the housing.

Took apart, cleaned, lubed, re-assembled and tested the fan motor. Flushed the radiator, cleaned and straightened the fins, installed the fan and hoses, and installed the entire assembly on the bike. With the cooling system all together, I filled it with 50/50 coolant, installed a new radiator cap, and mounted the recovery bottle.

Next was the Vetter fairing bracket, then the air scoops and horns. Note to self: Next time, horns first, then fairing bracket, then radiator with scoops already attached! Live 'n' learn!

After filling the recovery bottle, I set the shelter and seat in place. The Rat's Nest is starting to look like a Goldwing!

Still lots of cleaning to do. Once it's rolling, I'll take her out and try cleaning the engine with bathroom cleaner, and everything else with soap and water.

I put 2 gallons of gas in the tank, hooked up the jumper cables, hit the switch, and she started up instantly! No choke. I ran her for about ten minutes, looking for leaks (none) and testing the charging system - about 14.5 volts into a very low battery. The fuel and temp gauges work good.
:yahoo:
I'll make a video tomorrow - it was too dark tonight.

It was a very good, productive day, and I'm thrilled with the way the Rat's Nest is turning out. Tony, it looks like you've got a good one!

Tomorrow, rear brakes and more running. Hasta lasagna!

Great to hear Steve :good: :good: Keep up all that good work, I am sure it is all your experience that is making it all seem so easy :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

what a project ...like kansas to oz ....and running like a charm this was ouick steve ...this is as fast as any done here if not the fastest ...and its obvious it was done right with all the pics ..its nice that the heart of the beast is in great shape .....huge success here great job all the way around .... :mrgreen:

Day 11... A little bit-o-heaven!

I checked for any leaks, and found none! :yahoo:

The battery arrived, so no more jumper cables! :yahoo:

Installed the crash bars...

The original rear caliper still won't budge, so I rebuilt one I already had.

Installed the rebuilt master cylinder...

I installed my '80 rear wheel so I could bleed the brakes with the new pads in place. It should stop now!

OK - temptation got the best of me, so I bolted down the seat and took a ride around the block. All I can say is...NICE!!! Smooth clutch, excellent throttle response, perfect shifting, no funny noises, and tons of torque! I need to make a mount for the camera, but I did get the last few feet up the driveway using the tripod...

She goes! She stops! She turns! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'm gonna take the weekend to rest my back, and let some of the rusty bolts soak in the Evapo-Rust.

A good day.

Super, you sure you didn't work in the Honda factory Steve. Yeah you need to slow down and let the rest of us catch up with you. Heck, I'm tired just watching this build. Bout to wear me out. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Great job your doing. :good:

Steve a dream come true. You definitely deserve a rest after all this effort. I honestly hadn't expected you to have come so far in such a short time but I really appreciate it. Now all questions have been answered and it looks like the "Rats Nest" is up for our little circuit of about 4500 miles in August. Truly a remarkable job in such a short period of time. :salute: :good: :salute: :good:

Looking real good Steve. You talked about making a mount for your camera. On the bike? Check out these guys. https://www.mountguys.com/Default.asp They are awesome to deal with and not to pricey. Hint: if you don't mind getting seasick put the camera on the handlebars. Otherwise put it down on down on the crash guard. For a view of one in use check out chevy98alex on youtube on the Dragon in 2010 (handlebar) and 2011 (crash guard). Here is the # for the one I have. RAM Part RAM-B-149Z-C1U

alex80wing":1bhr2h8d said:
Looking real good Steve. You talked about making a mount for your camera. On the bike? Check out these guys. https://www.mountguys.com/Default.asp They are awesome to deal with and not to pricey. Hint: if you don't mind getting seasick put the camera on the handlebars. Otherwise put it down on down on the crash guard. For a view of one in use check out chevy98alex on youtube on the Dragon in 2010 (handlebar) and 2011 (crash guard). Here is the # for the one I have. RAM Part RAM-B-149Z-C1U

Thanks, Alex! I'm gonna try building one, but I'll check into this, too.

Steve83":3jxezei5 said:
Day 10...

I installed the shroud from my '83, since Dan is so kind to donate one to the cause. I know some people leave them off, but I'm thinking that it keeps any water that gets splashed through the radiator from the coils and plug wires. Besides, it's not my bike to experiment with. After testing the thermostst and fan switch, I installed them in the housing.

Took apart, cleaned, lubed, re-assembled and tested the fan motor. Flushed the radiator, cleaned and straightened the fins, installed the fan and hoses, and installed the entire assembly on the bike. With the cooling system all together, I filled it with 50/50 coolant, installed a new radiator cap, and mounted the recovery bottle.

Next was the Vetter fairing bracket, then the air scoops and horns. Note to self: Next time, horns first, then fairing bracket, then radiator with scoops already attached! Live 'n' learn!

After filling the recovery bottle, I set the shelter and seat in place. The Rat's Nest is starting to look like a Goldwing!

Still lots of cleaning to do. Once it's rolling, I'll take her out and try cleaning the engine with bathroom cleaner, and everything else with soap and water.

I put 2 gallons of gas in the tank, hooked up the jumper cables, hit the switch, and she started up instantly! No choke. I ran her for about ten minutes, looking for leaks (none) and testing the charging system - about 14.5 volts into a very low battery. The fuel and temp gauges work good.
:yahoo:
I'll make a video tomorrow - it was too dark tonight.

It was a very good, productive day, and I'm thrilled with the way the Rat's Nest is turning out. Tony, it looks like you've got a good one!

Tomorrow, rear brakes and more running. Hasta lasagna!
Great Job Steve :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Incredibly Fast & Precise :party: :party:

Just a couple more pics for you, Tony. The Rat's Nest is almost ready for a Banner pic.

I like this shot...

The fork seals arrived yesterday, the tires arrived late today, and I hope to have 'em mounted/balanced ASAP. There are several Dr. appointments coming up this week, so it might not be very productive. We shall see...

Latest posts