Ansimp's '81 Resurrection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your time Steve you are well ahead of schedule, no point of running out of steam when you have already exceeded all expectations. Great job :yahoo: :yahoo:

Day 12...

Well, I was planning on doing nothing this weekend, but it was such a perfect day, I was bored, and I'm infected with wingitis, so out to the garage I went. Thought I might get started on the fork seals.

I removed the fender, axle clamps and brake calipers, disconnected the speedo cable, raised the front of the bike just enough for the axle to clear the studs and rolled out the wheel. Then I removed the air hose and loosened the fork caps. After draining the fluid, I loosened the allen bolts at the bottom of the forks. While pushing up slightly on the lower fork, I removed the allen bolt and released the spring pressure.

After removing the cap, the springs were removed. A light tap with a screwdriver and the dust seal popped off, and what a lovely sight!

It's cool - a little digging, a little vacuuming, more digging - it cleaned up nicely. The snap ring actually came out easily! Nothing like the last one I did!

Once the snap ring and spacer were out, a few yanks on the lower fork, and it came right apart. Cleaned it up real nice and did the other side. I'm gonna let the snap rings and spacers soak in the Evapo-Rust for a day or so, then the new seals will go in.

I started the bike and let her run for quite a while. The temp gauge went up about 3/4 of the way and the fan never came on, so I shut her down. Glitch #1, but an easy circuit to trace. Before installing them, the thermal switch tested good as did the fan motor.

To be continued...

Day 13...

I finished the fork seal replacement. I guess because it's such a low-mileage bike, everything came apart and went together really easily! Both bushings in both forks looked like new. All I have left to do is fill 'em and fit 'em!

I'm hoping to have a day without any appointments for Mom, Dad or myself so I can take the wheels and new tires to get 'em mounted. In the meantime, I'm taling care of some little things. I still need to troubleshoot the fan. Can anybody tell me where the needle is on your temp gauge when the fan starts up? Maybe I'm just not running it long enough, but I don't want it getting too close to the red zone!

Hi Steve, Don't sweat if it is getting around 3/4 on the gauge as long as it cuts in that is fine. I have modified the naked CBR circuits so that I have an override and a green LED for when it is running. The fan only comes on on hot days in stop start traffic and every once in awhile its seems to be hotter than I like when it cuts in. The manual override allows me on really hot days to preempt the thermo switch in stop start traffic and keep the gauge registering lower temperatures. Great job on the fork seals as always

Mine also gets to just past center before the fan kicks in....
You can click on this image and go to my Gallery, where I have several pics of actual emps vs gauge readings on mine. :wave:

Day 14...

Tony bought some side covers, and they arrived today. The right one has a blemish and a broken pin, but they sure make a difference in the looks of the Rat's Nest!

He also sent 2 LED bulbs to try.

I replaced the 1157's in the tail light...

And what a difference! These, and 2 more red ones will go into the Vetter trunk lights, and some white ones will go here and into the front turn signal/driving lights.

I let her run for 10 or 15 minutes, and for the first time - no smoke whatsoever! Between the rings loosening up and the crud being burned out of the mufflers, she runs better and cleaner every time. And the floor is still nice and dry under her belly!

The side covers make a huge difference to me. Can't wait until you receive the other LEDs and we can decide which ones work the best. Ever one that we can instal reduces the load on the charging circuit and hopefully makes the bike more visible.

:hi: i tip my hat hat this is as good as any job done here steve ....theres always a certain amount of gamble to oldwings like the rat nest ...and it seems to have been a gamble ...you didnt know and you made all the right moves ...im so impressed with the effort and the way you guys worked together on this.....this shows the success in this forum ....this bike is a top of the line oldwing now period ...from a rats nest to ...to super quiet low mileage 1100 in tip top shape :hi: :hi: :ahem:

It does sound good.

I really like how quick it returns to idle.
Carbs are in good sync and compression is good.

Fun project and its been fun following along with all the pictures and videos. That and I rarely get to watch someone else work :good:

Day 15...

Today I put the fluid in the forks and installed them. It's so much easier getting the fluid in when the fork is off the bike! I pumped some air into them, and hopefully they'll hold it!

I also cleaned up the front fender a little bit - the old fork oil was really baked on!

I also discovered that the choke cable is seized, so I put my extra one in. I just haven't needed to use the choke so far, so I hadn't noticed. Shame on me!

I really like this burgundy paint when it's polished up. I had a '67 Mustang GT years ago that was Vintage Burgundy - I miss that car!

Tony, she's lookin' pretty good!

I have to agree it is starting to look like a shiny new 32 year old bike. Good thing all the rusty( mainly surface rust that I can see) bits of chassis will be hidden under its clothing. Nothing nicer than not needing the choke to start, one of the advantages of an accelerator pump circuit even if it is only on one carby. I wonder how my choke cable would go in the ATF bath? I spied the new tires in the right side shot and they look good . Definitely a good looking color, especially after some of your extra special attention. Great work as always :salute:

Actually, the accelerator pump delivers fuel to all 4 carbs. There is a passageway in the plenum (with the famous "straw"), and a small aluminum tube between carbs 1 and 3, and another between 2 and 4. A clever design.

I might try using Evapo-Rust on some of the surface rust - we'll see how it works.

Latest posts