Carb Floats - twisted?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see that you have joined CGW now Pistol. Even better to see your interest in making sure that Gerry's carbies are as good as they can possibly be after you serviced them over 5 years ago. :good: :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138142#p138142:3swrthhl said:
Ansimp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:29 pm[/url]":3swrthhl]
Great to see that you have joined CGW now Pistol. Even better to see your interest in making sure that Gerry's carbies are as good as they can possibly be after you serviced them over 5 years ago. :good: :salute:

Thank you ansimp,
I will let you all know what I find.
Pistol

welcome to classic .... pistol ..were a little different here ...and do not cater to reputations or have sponsors ....the members are first here .....but i dont mean to sound like a warning ...the reality is ...it works very well ....as the main focus here is to the guy that buys an oldwing ...and cause the parts situation among many other things we try and make sure ....that the olwing is brought back and the oldwing owner is riding .....gerrys bike runs well the last time i saw it ...and id say it dose now ..a lot here use atf regularly in the gas to keep carbs working good ..this alone to me is the best friend a stock rack can have ...again welcome to classic :mrgreen:

Update!

I have been emailing back and forth with Pistol Pete and having a great conversation!! He has agreed to have my sent back to them to check them out and will report anything he finds back to me! As others having pointed out here in this thread, it is fantastic service that Pistol and Moose would even consider looking at these carbs 5 years after the job was done, but they have taken complete ownership of this situation and want to do whatever is needed to get these OEM carbs up to spec!! :party: :Egyptian: :clapping: :music3: :yes: :eek:k: :yahoo: :rocks:

You cannot beat that!!! If there were ever a service you would want to boast about, this is that great service!!! :thanks:

UPDATE!!

The carbs are back and looking great!! All of the old seals have been included in a small bag. They were packed up really well so no shipping issues possible!! (Thanks Pistol and Moose!)

I am going to try to get them back on tonight (if I can) and do a first start video right out of the box! :yahoo:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140371#p140371:2cov7dup said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:58 am[/url]":2cov7dup]
UPDATE!!

The carbs are back and looking great!! All of the old seals have been included in a small bag. They were packed up really well so no shipping issues possible!! (Thanks Pistol and Moose!)

I am going to try to get them back on tonight (if I can) and do a first start video right out of the box! :yahoo:

Great to hear of another excellent service! :good:

:party: :yahoo: :rocks: :yes: :clapping: :BigGrin:

That bike started right up!!!! GREAT JOB PISTOL PETE and MOOSE!!! :thanks:

I fitted them back on the bike dry, opened the petcock, used the kill switch to prevent firing up so that I could fill with gas, pulled the choke and fired them up!! The temperature in the garage is about 50 degrees F. so a bit cool for a first start, plus there is 15w40 oil in there right now (going back to 10w40).

Well, you can see that it started right up as I slowly work the choke back off so the bike is actually still running cold at idle. I shut off the camera and let the engine warm up just a bit and it smoothed out like it never did before!! No smoke either!! Once warmed a bit, it really sounded like a sewing machine! I can't wait to try her on the road!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMP0FFwvSgo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Gerry, I heard the 'spit back' (as I call it) twice in that video.
That spit back often results in a hard kick back against engine rotation in my experiences.
What do you suppose causes that? The single carb mod I have on has never done that, not once ever even though the stock rack did it bad on the same engine so I believe the cause not to be ignition or timing related.
There isn't much talk about it on the forums though I know lots of bike's do it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140782#p140782:8ur8wqfi said:
dan filipi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 am[/url]":8ur8wqfi]
Gerry, I heard the 'spit back' (as I call it) twice in that video.
That spit back often results in a hard kick back against engine rotation in my experiences.
What do you suppose causes that? The single carb mod I have on has never done that, not once ever even though the stock rack did it bad on the same engine so I believe the cause not to be ignition or timing related.
There isn't much talk about it on the forums though I know lots of bike's do it.

Dan,
The carbs are over 30 years old and the jetting can be worn causing a rich fuel mixture at cold starts. I have noticed that the "chuffing" is caused by this issue and it will spit back but if the air filter is in place it is much less. I do not believe that it will cause harm to the engine.

Pistol

Actually, I do know what it is!

I was reducing the choke way too soon before the engine was warmed up. This can cause a mis or spit from the engine. If I had let the engine warm as per the manual, it never spits.

In the video, I wanted to push the carbs as hard as possible while cold to see how they operated freshly cleaned to see if the engine would idle cold or just stall and obviously, the engine ran pretty darn good cold. (Cold being defined here as 48-50 degrees F at start.)

I warmed up the engine last weekend and it idled like a sewing machine with no spit or miss.

Latest posts