Carb Floats - twisted?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well pete i agree 1100 carbs are better than 1000 but .... but it still a huge problem just off idle ... smaller throats and stuff help as it brings more vacume to slides along with quicker gas plus accelerator pump... but 1100 carbs fall flat at higher rpm and the oldwing motor is capable of more ....when i say there complicated its in comparison to a cable ,,, thats what all this cv stuff replaced ...in this view ..its very complicated and hard to match efficiency of of simple cable in no way could it ever beat a cable lift to provide gas charge as quick ..to me its plain and simple the problem ... why these carb are so hard to dial in and so on ... its also why they will never be a performance type carb ever against something of more performance design ....

my work with the 1200 modded motor ..c5 ignition...weber carb has taught me what truly these motors are capable of... it aint all c5 either cause i had the stock carbs first with the c5 .. the 1200 modded motor took the stock rack cv system way beyond it design ... and complete redo in slide springs vacume holes and stuff that to hard to mod ... i went weber from there its been a total lesson in power the more i get the carb modded to oldwing motor the more power i get ... and this is all way above what stock carbs are capable of ... all this points to the cv air system as why stock carbs cant get it done at low rpm ...my bike has a ton of power off idle and dont loose it in the rpm zone anywhere ....

Joe,
No argument from me on performance products that are more suited to the GL flat fours.
But from the perspective of mass production and touring; exploration of the limits of the Goldwing engine and alternate fuel delivery systems might be for most, not a requirement.
I would however like very much to see your scoot sometime. I love cool stuff like that.

Pistol

thanks pete i wasnt trying to toot my horn but give a back ground on my perspective of this topic question ...and i agree with you ..many have no intensions of doing anything but riding there stock wings ... witch is the topic here ...stock carbs ...with your input it greatly increases the impact and i am listening to your perspective hugely....

I've seen some of Joe's stuff and it is real cool! But for me, I'm one of those that is just happy with a stock setup that will cruise down the slab! I'm not an aggressive rider at all and don't get too excited about speeding into turns and leaning so far over that ants can clean your helmet visor. :hihihi:

I like most of the stock stuff, but I enjoy learning about how all of these other mods can be made and more enjoy reading and watching these bikes getting modded!

I am happy with my carbs; my next BIG mod will be a C5 ignition! :yes:

Thought I would post a video of the carbs warmed up this time so that you can hear that the engine is just purring away, yet will redline in a heartbeat smooth as silk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT5m7vef0E8

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT5m7vef0E8[/video]

Sounds excellent and is as beautiful as ever. Can't beat good carbies/y when getting any engine to run well (maybe EFI)! Hats off to Pistol Pete etc and you Gerry :hi:

Latest posts