Forum quiet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
See if we can spice things up around here some.

What projects do you have going or planned?

Any rides or meets coming up?

How about any family events or travels to distant lands?

My turn signal/wire harness projects are at a standstill because I have reached the point that requires dis-assembly of the system and I am still riding! Both projects to be completed over the winter.

We are still on track to get that '81 Standard for my daughter once the owner digs it out of his garage. He was planning on it this past weekend, but plans changed.........just waitin at this point.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying fall/winter riding! It is my favorite riding time with temps averaging in the 50's. :moped: :yahoo:

Forum has been quiet. New tires for next year, steering stem bearings (finishing up the rebuild), new wire harness connectors for wiring mods, all to be done in between good riding weather.

Met a fellow last night who just bought an '81 and '83 1100. Offered to help when he gets them, should be fun.

Cheers

hmmmmm favorite time gerry.....sheesh what are you wearing .....it sure has been quiet on the forum ...i thought we had a couple of good projects going on ...but seems theres been no follow up yet ......

i will blab some ...being a hands on person with thing in my life ...the oldwing forums have proved to me over the yrs that people are overwhelmed by pay to play theory of bike modification .....plug and play type advertising ....there were so many things consider not doable when i first started reading the forums ....some of it was true but most was pure BS....here at classic our great leader saw a need for a 1100 forum as the other forums were either 1000s or like 1800 forums ....i found that being here and learning about 1100s brought in all kinds of deals completely different than 1000s bikes ...they were totally different animals .....and much harder to deal with than earlier bikes ....but with the attitude that dresser were fine bikes to have and not strip like other forums pushed we got a great following of dresser bikes .....past that ...there were many smart hands things figured out here cause aftermarket parts were just not out there .....

me being a smart hands type guy ...i enjoyed trying to make a better bike ...not buy a better bike ...through this and the help of classic members many things on ...you cant do this list became yes you can ...through this way and also like minded people have found some great things to do to oldwings that trump the pay for play projects ...not discounting that there are great products out there ...like c5 ignitions ...supercharger kits ..and so on ....

but here we have a log of parts mixing second to none .....im very happy how my bike came out ..with the things this forum figured out ...

how about others ..what has this forum done for you ????? good or bad ...

Something in my computer got turned off. Every time I go to a forum I have to sign in. Not just this one but others.
Any body know what to turn back on? Running windows 7 64 bit. Internet Explorer.

I went to internet options and the only thing that was not checked was feeds.

Today I am going to clean up the garage so I can park my bike. Going to start my alt conversion today. I think I have all the parts to do it except for the various bolts I have to replace.

Need to put a better switch on the flood lights as it keeps cutting out.

?? Is there a need for another thread on alt conversion?

You don't state the internet browser you're using. Presuming it is Internet Explorer by Microsoft. Click on Tools, Internet Options, tab - Content, button - Auto Complete. If the setting got turned off you will need to turn it back on.

Let us know how it's going, will try to help.

Last thing done on the bike was removing, rebuilding, and replacing the water pump. While working underneath, I am also in the process of fixing the neutral switch as well. But the bike has taken a back seat to another project for the time being: switching out the engine on a 2006 Chevy Equinox for a friend. Old engine (with a hole busted in the side of the oil pan) is out and waiting for the replacement to be delivered.

My winter projects are : re-paint the El Camino, put the 85 trike together and make it work, and time permitting, repaint & rebuild an 85 Fiero. Somewhere in there I volunteer 3 days a week with the AARP TaxAide foundation ( preparing and filing free federal & state income tax returns).

Life is good!!

I'm still SLOWLY percolating along with the sidecar rig. I ran into so many delays (personal and mechanical) on that carb job you wouldn't believe. (missing parts, stripped screws - the carbs had been dinked with seriously by the PO's nephew and he was not kind to them). Trying to do his uncle a favor, but trust me, he didn't.

Then, I finally went to hang the rack yesterday and realized that I didn't have the air cutoff o-rings. I got some equivalents from Ace Hardware and I believe I'm good to go. Just not tonight.

Wish me luck.

Once running and if it runs well, I'll spend some time detailing it and just ride it. I still have the rear Lester that needs to either go on the hack or they both get swapped over to my '78 - forks and all.

Further "restoration" of the rig will depend on which way the wind blows.

Not much for me going on other than work.
Had a nice lazy 4 days off this last weekend.
Woke up Friday to a few hundred returned spam emails. Evidently a spam bot got my email password but I didn't figure that out for a day or so. That was exciting....NOT!

As far as bike goes, after working all week I'm pretty dead on my off times and just want to be lazy. That and getting dark early SUCKS! It's been in the 30's to 40's too so hard to get motivated.
This Solex carb starts right up real easy even in these low temps. Pleased with that even though you won't catch me riding in anything below 50 by choice.

I ordered the C5 housing to replace the one I fabricated to the 1200 head. Might have time this weekend to put that on if it comes in. I might play with reprogramming curves some more after that's on.

Other than that, just keeping the home fires burning!

The Atila project is still progressing in the assembly stage

I have gotten heavily involved with Honda wire harnesses and wire systems, trying to understand the what and whys of how they did the things they did.

Other than that just trying to survive life and health issues.

im going to be the one whos greatly going to benefit from backlanders work ...the hooch bike has so much of a involvement from others ..besides just me ...cant wait to get to work with backlander custom wiring harness for hooch ....

i'm going to get the wing in hibernation later this week and give the snowblowers their first start of the season. took the tintop to the dealer Saturday to look at a 2012 bmw r1200 gsa, it was ridden hard and put away wet so I passed on it

Attachments

• 20161126_123117.jpg
    20161126_123117.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 210
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184253#p184253:2b900mkq said:
backlander » Today, 1:10 pm[/url]":2b900mkq]
I have gotten heavily involved with Honda wire harnesses and wire systems, trying to understand the what and whys of how they did the things they did.

The Honda wiring does make one ponder. Still going through mine a little at a time. Make one change, put it back together and ride some more. Keeps the thought process engaged and working.

Cheers

Speaking of wiring, I need to source a decent clutch switch for my '78. Blasted thing just "went bad". Only lasted 38 years. Sheesh. Been broken for a few months. Just won't close. Kind of a pain to have to always find neutral to start.

Is there a switch available separately? Not too keen on the idea of swapping the entire switchgear assembly out.

If you can't source one from a dealer you might check with these folks hondarestoration.com or goldwingking. I have not done busy with either of them so can't testify about there business dealings.

Latest posts