Help ! reinstalled new stator question?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get the ignition cover off, remove the end nut and washer.
You should be able to feel a definite engagement with the pin if it's there.
If not then the center rotor will spin.

well Dan guess i will be pulling engine again and figuring out were i went wrong THank You for you help Sir and yes its easyer to get at it then trying to squeeze in there big big hands and also hard to see thanks again im sure ill have more questions before all said and done like exactly what hole does the pin go into found in my book and yes show pin but not exactly were it goes like i said i have partial sight in one eye so small things are harder for me to see

It seems like you're saying you didn't remove this when you pulled the big cover off to replace the stator?
That would mean the center shaft came off with the big rear cover.
May be in that movement the pin fell out, not sure.

Before you go any further, check all the wires in the 4 pin ignition plug are connected good and your plug wires are on the correct plug.
If the coil wire primary wires were reversed, it will be trying to fire 180 out.

whe i removed cover i only removed center nut and washer then pulled cover off away from engine as suggested on you tube video i watched for the 1200 engine the drive gear tryed to come with it but i tapped it down as i pulled up on cover i removed it off another engine first before i attempted the good engine

Attachments

• pin honda pg .jpg
    pin honda pg .jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 88
so here is an extra PG the center part and the housing with the pin i showed in photo does it matter where the center rotor catches the notches it can go two ways on the notches i do not see any marks to line them up

Attachments

• pg1.jpg
    pg1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 82
  • pg2.jpg
    pg2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 83
You are pointing to the alignment dowel, that aligns the main housing to the engine casing. That's not the pin we are concerned about.

The rotor doesn't need to move very far to come off the drive pin, regardless of HOW it moved. If you can spin the rotor freely with the bolt/washer installed to hold it on, the pin is missing, or the rotor is not fully seated down on the pin. That drive pin is pretty dang small, too, so it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. I went thru the SAME problem as you are going thru when I changed my stator, but my problem was I forgot to install the bolt/washer that holds the rotor to the shaft. When I went to crank it up, the rotor moved out of position, and it was backfiring/popping/snorting/farting....everything BUT running properly. Took me a while to figure that problem out, and get it fixed.

Don't know if this pic will help, or cause more confusion, but it's all I got to work with right now....

image.php

ok so i guess ive lost that pin lucky for me i do have one more engine i can get the pg off from it and hopefully not loosed the pin wish there was a way to rove pg without dissambling it and just transfer over to good engine but nothing is ever simple thank you as to checking wires and all ive not changed anything while motor ran before stator job yup Aaple just like you did only i still got center nut and washer lol sure glad i have air tools makes job go a little faster i use to race stock cars roundy rounds but got to exspensive so got into motorcycle now i cant deside which is worse for always working on lol but the enjoyment out in the wind is good

I was lucky enough that the pin on mine stayed stuck in the shaft, tho I do remember removing it to get the rear cover off, and clean everything up nice and purdy. Btw...the rotor will only go one one way....there is only the one slot on it, so there's no way to get it "out of time" once it is all put together correctly.
I spent a couple of WEEKS(or more) getting mine back running properly after that one silly mistake of leaving the bolt out. I finally found it by being at the end of my rope, and was ready to set the dang thing on fire. I knew it was a timing problem, just not WHY. Crawled under it, removed the cover, and found the rotor spinning willy-nilly...it had slid back off of the drive pin. That's when I found out I forgot to install the bolt. I found the bolt, and installed it, and she fired right up....for a while. I missed that there is also a washer there, so the bolt didn't hold the rotor...it just slid right back past the bolt. Once I found the correct washer and installed everything the way it's supposed to be, it's been running perfectly ever since. Live and learn. :Doh2: :smilie_happy:

yes sir thats about it live and learn dont feel to bad it took me 3 trys to get my water pump installed correctly lining it up with oil pump neutral light was a pain in the butt also all because i flushed out the system when i got the bike and come to find out they had radiator stop leak in it so fluid was leaking out weep hole but you are correct live and learn sometimes it takes more than once try to get it right well i will post my out come when i either remove engine YES AGAIN #4 or do the rear wheel and swing army Whats easyer is my question ? ya let someone else do the job haha :popcorn:

Think it was Aapple said you can get to it without pulling the motor or swingarm out, least I would think it wouldnt have to be pulled all the way out, just enough to get to the area.

I wear size 8 gloves so you know about my hand size. I got to mine with rear wheel and fuel tank out. I've never had the motor out of any of my wings but it took me hours to get the rear wheel and tank out. I didn't know you needed to remove the rear master to get the fuel tank out. Time and effort either way seems pretty close.

yes swing arm removel sound easy but i once did a rear tire removel and just to get tire off had to remove saddle bags and brake caliper i maybe opening a new can of worms messing with back end atleast if i get engine out i can see what im doing better and that darn little pin that keeps dissapearing well im complating on which was to go i figure if i remove engine i can stand it on its front so back end is up and i will be better to see what im doing and make sure the pin stay's were it is suppose to stay also I consider myself almost a master at removing and installing the engine the hardest part i think is getting that c clip off and on the drive axel everything else is a breeze if i start at sun up i can have engine back in before sun down without any breaks my wife says how can i do that i just get into doing what im doing have the problem is getting bike up on center stand which has been done since second engine removell but I am taking on any helpers if anyone is interested ps how can i get help I do have other parts in exchange lol i even saw in my new box parts a spanking new pg housing who knows i may have everything new in that box ive seen lots of new brake parts for rebuilding them coils and wires boot ends and more all oem honda parts new in packages come to think of it i may have even see the inside parts for the pg guess i should go look before i get started and see all what i have new

I have used others advice now to get the Rats Nest onto the center stand, I just run the back wheel up onto a block of wood first and it makes it easy to set the center stand now :yes:

good idea on the block of wood i use a pump jack on the back chrome piece for the saddlebags i jack it up there get it high enough then put down center stand hey what ever works thanks for the offer from new jersey hey im from long island got moved here my son a us army soldiers was deployed in iraq so came to help grandaughter with my new grandbaby he is 8 yrs old now charles # 3 thanks

I have another question being i had cranked over the engine numerous time and the pulse generator is accualy a distributor will it not be in timing once i put pg back in or does it not work like a cars engine distributor were everything has be be lined up to number 1 piston i sure dont want to do this anymore than i have to 3 times is enought

OK and yet another question can someone PLEASE answer all my questions before i start I HAVE DESIDED to remove rear tire and swing arm cause then i can try and run engine to make sure everthing is correct good idea? BEFORE REASSEMBLING . ok also in the book it states there is a ADVANCER CUT OUT and the ROTOR TOOTH are suppose to line up. can anyone show me EXACTLY the cut out i am looking for on the Advancer? its not clear in either book i have .I am going to start on it today some time .also does it require any special tools to remove swing arm ? figured while i have back tire off im going to replace the valve stem with a metal one . have had nothing but bad luck with the standered ones already did front tire . so if anyone has a picture on the marks im needing would greatly be appreciated