hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124088#p124088:3sxmi9n4 said:
Steve83 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 pm[/url]":3sxmi9n4]
Hey Joe, didn't they make a movie about you? I think it was called "Wrench Turner & Hooch"... :yes:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :salute:

ok its quite obvious with the hooch build and the shitzoid build of erics that these 1200 mod bikes are in a class of there own ...and even stock honda carbs require huge modding to get them to work ...when i had srock carb on it seemed my would for awhile milles and miles sometime but eventually slides would start sticking from vacume abuse till it would drop cylinders and limp home ...not sure why erics didnt get to such severe conditions that happen to hooch ...but its obvious his bike was unridable to ... these motor common trait is they create qiute the suction over other oldwings ...on erics it led to reducing amount of vacume to the slides to slow them down so the bike bike would not run rich ....on hooch it is actually led too reducing idle circuit jet to the point that it will not run rich .....past this point of of running the 1200 modded motors require quit the gas charge to get the full rpm range .....on erics it seems his biggest problem was to get the cv slides to work at the matching speed as to be slow enough that i would not lean out when approaching the high rpm zone and gas charge stayed right .....on hooch it was a matter of matching air flow ... throttle plate position and jetting ....that kept the gas charge good through out the rpm ....it seems both bikes are in this zone now ....ive been reflecting on where hooch is at and how the two set ups are quit close at .....and this is basiclly in the jetting ...at this moment the jetting and mods to the weber are ....first off ..power valve ..E choke and added stuff on carb are removed ...all these add on are really richening devices and hooch was to rich from get go making all these things useless on the 1200 modded motor ...to the point that even more stuff had to be done to line up carb with motor....and from here i will start listing where the 32-34 dft 740 car is at .....now that it is running in a complete user friendly way ....

air mod to throttle plate to get more air to match the motor reqirement to run right ...9/64 hole drilled into throttle plate ..away from all gas siphon sources in idle circuit set up .... big mod ... just like erics huge mod to control vacume control on cv sldes in stock rack

PRIMARY BARREL JETTING .....IDLE JET ...45...MAIN WELL JETTING ...GAS JET..120...AIR BLEED JET...220...

SECONDARY BARREL JETIING .....IDLE JET...80....MAIN WELL JETTING...GAS JET....140....AIR BLEED JET 160

at this point the bike is total tune and in the 98% plus zone ... from here only small tweaking might be done as mpg figures become solid and might try a tweak some more mpg out of it ....is the only thing that might be in play

the figures probably will mean not much to stock motor single builds in mods and jetting to carb ... but is the story on the 1200 modded set up hooch and also how it is simular to erics and his stock carb setup ... on these 1200 modded big flow motors :thanks:

hooches plug color ....

image.php

it is very important still to turn gas off with the single set up ...it seems with the carb so high the float level is highly effected by being on side stand and can drain to the low side ive seen this enough now to know its in play .... cutting gas petcock does not fix this ... in the same breath it will quit leaking when float level drains down and not keep leaking ... im not sure how to combat this yet still thinking on it :thanks:

Shut the fuel off a minute before you shut the motor down. I usually shut off my fuel when I get to my driveway.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124144#p124144:cgctp5yw said:
joedrum » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 am[/url]":cgctp5yw]
hooches plug color ....

image.php

it is very important still to turn gas off with the single set up ...it seems with the carb so high the float level is highly effected by being on side stand and can drain to the low side ive seen this enough now to know its in play .... cutting gas petcock does not fix this ... in the same breath it will quit leaking when float level drains down and not keep leaking ... im not sure how to combat this yet still thinking on it :thanks:

Joe, are the 2 plugs on the right from 1, 2? The look lighter (leaner) than the 2 on the left.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124147#p124147:vu2p0pmi said:
slabghost » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:08 am[/url]":vu2p0pmi]
Shut the fuel off a minute before you shut the motor down. I usually shut off my fuel when I get to my driveway.
+1 :good: I just need to remember..... :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124176#p124176:vj70snj1 said:
canuckxxxx » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:10 pm[/url]":vj70snj1]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124144#p124144:vj70snj1 said:
joedrum » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 am[/url]":vj70snj1]
hooches plug color ....

image.php

Me curious too.

Joe, are the 2 plugs on the right from 1, 2? The look lighter (leaner) than the 2 on the left.

the dang plugs kept falling off the tank selter the two darker ones were efected by the drain down .... knowing this i wipe them a bit to give a better pic of how it is running ,,, obviously not enough to get by you guys as to what up ... so the single carb deal as said before is no cure for gas draining into motor some ... i am going figure something ... if one had electric fuel pump running carb dry would be a fix as electric pump would instantly fill things up ... but with manual pump like hooch has this involves cranking motor over longer... so still thinking on it and changing oil out ouite often as hooch represents a lot of work of mine to keep up on.... :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124246#p124246:2jynw3g7 said:
backlander » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:49 pm[/url]":2jynw3g7]
Thought you had a drive off center stand on hooch, gonna have to keep her sitting straight up on some kind of stand looks like.
:smilie_happy: There isn't a flat level spot on Joe's property.

yep the ride off stand is a joke at my place ...riding off the stand in a hard banking corner is quit the thrill ...playing geometry with the side stand and grade of the ground is best game i got ... but in the rest of the world the ride off stand is great

great day today ...7 28 14 ... i finally got the idle just right ....this morning i had an idea to try on hooch ...as the last thing i did had some effects that needed to be thought about before next move ... well i did think about it a week or 2 before moving to something else ...

on hooch i finally got the idle mix screw to have direct outcome on idle rpm ... and i was using that and the idle speed control on linkage... witch introduces the other idle circuit opening around thottle plate ... the result was somwhat floating rpm idle ... asd sometimes not idle good when warm ...

so today i back off totally on the linkage idle speed control so the screw doesn't touch the linkage at all ... and then open more on idle mix screw....now on hooch the trottle plate is totally closed ...but has hole in the plate ... hooches is huge at 9/64" ... and i dont recomend anyone drill that big ...any way ..with this set up the idle mix screw controls rpm speed with no help from linkage ....i made the moves before start up

results .....
on cold start hooch went to idling at about 8-900 rpm cold did not die needed no throttle lock and rpm to keep running

got ready for a ride and when i got back to bike hooch was idling 1000 to 1100 rpm ...twisted throttle really quick response ...

wow the idle is sounding really good ..as good as stock it seems ....then when i went for ride right off the bat going up the gravel hill to the corner was really strong acting at idle and went right up ....seemed it was running steadier ....

as always on open road was strong bigtime ... when i stoped idle was there and steady with a narrower rpm range... that was a huge boost there in user friendly attitude.. and the last spot of concern for me with hooch

on the hills home it was obvious i was getting great low end running over great running before ... so i put hooch in fifth gear and decided to see what it would pull ....

sheesh hooch pulled all hills in fifth gear doing most of it under 2000 rpm ...in fact hooch would pull without any trauma down too 1100 rpm on steep grade ...like it was nothing at all for it ....

so now id say i am at 99% jetted .....seems hooch has no bad spot at all anywhere ... i will do a idle video later today maybe .... :thanks:

Latest posts