hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if the calculations are skewed a bit by tire size, if you're getting mileage on par with a 1200, which it sounds like you are, it means you gotta have something right. Best I got was 38mpg with stock carbs and 1000 final drive. I don't think my new carbs will be much over 30.

well it wasnt just a few days ago i was hoping for 40....52 sounds great to me ...and the whole idea it got better than that on first part of trip is huge too...

especially with the power it has ....im very pleased ....and it is capable to get 60 mpg like the first leg of trip ....im with blacklander i think it will get more with further refinements

I was delighted when I got 40 mpg once. So anything over 50 is outstanding. Must have Hooch tuned to a fine point. :Egyptian:

Also your gas is way cheaper than here. You're paying $2/g.up here we are paying $3.25. :doh:

Nice work, Joe. :good:
Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163785#p163785:3f681a8f said:
dan filipi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:49 pm[/url]":3f681a8f]
Naysayers have no place in posting here far as I'm concerned.

I've known Joe quite a few years now, met him twice at his place, and talked many many hours on the phone.
Anyone doubting can also read back on Joe's posts and see that he's always honestly reported problems as they are, as well as improvements.
Just let the naysayers be and ignore them, they only serve to sidetrack what we're doing.

So what do your plugs look like Joe?

image.php

image.php

well heres pics of plugs ...seems rather consistant ...seems to be burning completely ....im going to trry and keep on the mpg testing ...bike sure is running well since trip to jerrys :thanks:

there really all about the same dan ...i seen nothing to indicate a wide difference ....i run my bike much cooler than stock ...i think the color is on par with the conditions i run motor in ...looks to be complete burn now ....

Joe, if I understand your gas mileage numbers; you went 120.4 miles using 2.049 gallons, then you went another 106.6 miles (for a total of 227 miles on your odometer) using 2.331 gallons. I get 58.7 mpg for the first half of your trip, and 45.7 mpg for the last leg. Am I understanding it right?

If so how do you explain the big drop in mileage on the second leg?

Brian

moisture brian the trip back was at night ....it was foggy big time in spots and rather cool too ...and hooch ran a bit different ....since then ive ran 100miles and plan on doing another mpg post and record for awhile the results ....but to be quite honest im rather happy with the 45mpg in bad conditions as that beats all mpg deals ive done before ...

when a carb is dial in good ...conditions will make huge effect on mpg ...for the simple reason it starts out dialed in good and great mpg ...when conditions get moist and charge goes down down it shows up big ....

when carb is off mpg dosnt change much as onditions get worst cause its starts off off or not at its best ...in my opinion :thanks:

How are you calculating your distance travelled Joe? If you are relying on your odometer you need to check calibration ( we have a 5klm measured distance on the Bruce Highway heading north from Brisbane). GPS could help also possibly Google maps. I try to use the same servo ( gas station ) and pump to check my milage to eliminate discrepancies. ATM I am getting really poor economy with the RTV but it is not quite as bad as I think because my rear tires are 5% taller in od than standard :doh:

whatever tony as posted i said the speedo seems to be 1/20th off ....i dont have a gps im sure id loose it ...or even a cell phone ...i like my freedom and im not paying money for the government peeking tom system .....personally that a crime against me....and against god law for a man .... :good:

I looked at tire diameter specs for a 1200 front tire vs a 1000 tire and it appears that it would be about 6% difference. Those are averages and could fluctuate a little depending on tire maker. So 60mpg might be around 56 mpg. Still pretty good. Higher than any I've heard of except from Sabrecycle. The bike made a fairly significant move from Indiana to Florida, so I am not surprised a little tweaking was in order. Elevation change and humidity changes, maybe even air pressure changes.

it finally got rather cool in fla the last few days ...not sure how cold but my body was saying i was qute chilled ...late last night it was also very moist out but not severe as fla can get .....sheesh hooch ran well ..i mean real well ....power was frightening but very fun ...did some checking over things yesterday ....checked plugs all were looking great ....checked the runners at head ...if there is a problem with my set up its the fact that intake runner bolts at heads can loosen some if left unchecked for long period of time ...like when i have the lowers on ..everything is covered up ....so torque the intakes some not much ..could actually here the difference as it was running when i did it ....

at first in this weather it took hooch 10 minutes or more id say before the fan kicked in ...while idling .....this is with a restrictor plate mod for thermostat ....the hole is about 3/8" ...anyway once riding the bike was powerful right off idle and after a few miles it warmed up nicely and and i readjusted idle on the fly and the bike was wanting to come off the ground in second gear i didnt give it enough for that ...but could just feel it ...when i hit third gear sheesh it acted like it wanted to pull the wheel there also...man the car tire really puts the power to the road .....

this was a great test and im very pleased how the non heated and actually cool runner design i did ....didnt have an icing issue at all and really showed some big power ...some of the best ive felt with hooch ...very pleased .... :thanks:

no there back on ..i put them on right after brians visit here ...it was cold last night ..the vetter lowers i have do great at keeping wind off you ....and making some heat come out around the bottom of the false tank ...nice

Latest posts