My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets see if I can remember that far back. when I was about 20 I got my first street legal bike, it was a dual purpose bike. I took a driver safety course because it was required by DOD in order to ride on base. Then went to DMV showed them my card from the safety course took the written test then the driving test of cones, circle, fig8, slow ride, panic stop. :cheeky: :cheeky: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Okay so back on track, got another set of forks from the chap that sold me the others, doesn't want them back, so experiment here we come. I have managed to get into my set and they are real good inside so they will be repaired, I will try and fix,make or fiddle a way round the silly air valves in the top nuts.

So back to the timing belt tensioners, tried drilling out the back of the tensioner where it is peened over to hold it onto the plat, jeez is that hard material, burnt out a 12mm drill inside 30 seconds, so decided to cut it behind the plate see below.

cutting the tensionerDSC_1919.jpg

The saw just bounced off it, you could feel it was just resisting the saw. Got out my blow torch and heated it up and annealed it still took a while to cut through maybe 2 minutes but it cut no problem. So just waiting on my counter sunk cap screws and the Kia bearings.

so two items arrived for the rebuild, one just literally 2 minutes ago with the post. But first the new 17mm bore Brake lever and clutch lever..

brake levers.jpg

and what has just arrived ...

brake pistons.jpg

So at 22:00 I got bored, so I took off the connection from the final drive that holds the shock in place. It was a bit polished before I blasted the dif (see earlier post).

I was a bit no a lot upset with my wife, we are both diabetics in the last 4 weeks she has had as many hypos, she goes down to 1.2 under the old method. Totally out of it unable to respond or do anything except I have to treat her like a spoilt kid. and shout, so again a glucose injection, carbs and sugar to get her back asap. She used to know when this was happening, no more, since her stroke, she doesn't recognise that she is low.

Anyway after that I was bored and needed something to do, so I made a movie, well three,about 15 minutes in total on how I polish ally. So how you enjoy them, now I am off to bed. Good night..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZqD61AqvDz

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLez7MDHsj2UXLvhClS5EE2VZqD61AqvDz[/video]

Nice videos Ian! the second was deleted though. In high school we would just use a red whateveryoucallit and it was a simple one set process. I was always working with bronze though and it always shined like gold after using that red stuff.

~O~

Hi all front and rear wheel retainers, in the picture below you see both front and rear wheel retainers, but these have a seal on the inside, when I gently pull on the seal they don't want to come away, is this normal and do the seals need replacing?

bearing holders.jpg

Looks like the seals are molded into the retainers. I've not had those off on any of my bike yet so I'm not certain.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151395#p151395:10tbpavd said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:25 pm[/url]":10tbpavd]
Following along looking great I like the gauges where did you get them?

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, been away for two weeks in France, anyway the Gauges, they are VDO gauges called Cockpit Royal, I didn't get them in the states but from Germany, you can get them state side as an example here https://www.jegs.com/p/VDO/VDO-Cockpit-R ... 3/10002/-1

Okay so I have had some parcels and have doing some polishing not to my liking but will persevere, there is only one way to polish hard work, prep is the name of the game, so using wet and dry from 240 up to 3000 grit even higher if you can get it, then buy the best polishing wheels you can get hard stitched , then on to softer until you get to the polishing soft mop. also use the best polish you can buy. mezerna is good polish.

forks pol3.jpg

just starting

just starting 2.jpg

Not bad but needs more wet and dry.

just started on the rokers.jpg

So what is clear from the exercise is that you cant do this with just polish unless you have the right kit (professional polishing machines 1.5 to 2 hp) and the right mops. So I will start over and go to rubbing down or sanding, start off with 240 grit and progress up to 3000 grit, then you can start to polish and with hard work get a mirror finish. See next post on this.

Looking great! :yes: :salute: Going to take out a loan on your house to pay for fuel? :smilie_happy:

Latest posts