My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a set of replaced forks in good shape, you can learn what can be done with the rusty set, & come out way ahead of the game. :good: Good luck

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150109#p150109:3qr37ip6 said:
pidjones » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:10 pm[/url]":3qr37ip6]
I wouldn't waste my time.

Ah I see your point but, then I will have learnt something new. I think everyone should endeavour to learn something new every day, no matter how small, because once learnt you can pass that on to friends on my forums. Like today my back wheel joined the front at the blaster/powder coater, so I told him about my problem with the forks, and did he have any ideas on how to change things, can I blast them, what about inside the stanchions.

The stanchions can't be blasted on the inside, but you can get rid of the rust quite easy, block up the one end of the stanchion, get some Brick Acid rr one of it's other names is Muriatic Acid or Hydrochloric Acid. You need a solution of about 10%. Block up one end of teh stanchion and pour in the acid, leave it for about 10 minutes and drain, wash it well, and repeat if needed. The springs, they can be blasted without problem. Inside the fork bottoms also no problem, they can be blasted too just use the right media.

So once I get a new 2 me fork and the forks are done, they will be ready for the final treatment. As yet undecided. :yahoo:

And when they get done I will get some pics of the results they will be posted as --- :useless:

Well back to today 07/06, so I thought I would put to use the mobile shot blaster I bought last year together with 25 kilos of fine grit. See the result below.

So this is the drive before..

finaldrive before 1.jpg

finaldrive before2.jpg

and this is after, I did tape off all the important bit very well..

Final drive after1.jpg

final drive after3.jpg

rocker cover before then after..

rocker cover 1.jpg

rocker cover after DSC_1882.jpg

Badges before and after and then the mess.

badge 1.jpg

badges after.jpg

the mess took 15 minutes to make the mess and clean the bits, 45 minutes to clean up the floor outside the front of the house. Will I do it again, well hell yes but as I have a 3/4 meter shot blasting cabinet that has bee in the garage for a year I will assemble that and bolt it to a table then I wont have to clean so much.

mess 1.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150443#p150443:evjrnmmt said:
slabghost » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:49 pm[/url]":evjrnmmt]
I used to use my fathers blaster but my brother got it from the estate when Dad passed on.
You phone your bro, and say to him, hey bro, so you have had the blaster a bit longer than we agreed , we did say 12 months each , you have had the blaster now since nn fill in date and now it is my turn, I will be down at the end of the week to collect, seeing as you have had nn months longer than the time agreed then I will take it for the same time, See you Saturday bro to collect... Now when you get it home just make sure it is broken before you have to give it back. What the betting your Bro hasn't even used it.

I have four kids, one has nothing to do with me and me with her either so that's okay, but both boys are already fighting over who gets the tools and which tools from the shop. My youngest daughter has my Toyota Supra MK3 and my eldest son wants the GL but he now lives in Australia, and My daughter is also claiming the bike as he is too far away to lay claim, I have no input just make sure they are drivable.

don't you love your kids, let me see the eldest is 46 then 45 two girls, the other two 36 and 32 both boys. Ah life is short.
They hope that life ends just after the two are fixed up and drivable. so they don't have to wait too long... :hihihi: :music:

I built my blast cabinet out of particle board on a bench top. It is still a bunch of cleanup even with the front closed, but at least I get to reuse the media several times. After a LOT of cleanup, it doubles as a paint booth.

you will appreciate your cabinet when it is in use.

Attachments

• IMG_1810small.jpg
    IMG_1810small.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1796small.jpg
    IMG_1796small.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 126
So got a small problem, I bought a rear calliper and master, this looks great so started to take them apart no problem, and using compressed air shot them out. Now the new calliper would be very easy to polish has all flat sides and top, unlike mine with the raised areas and nooks and crannies.

But although they look fine and dandy there is a big discrepancy in piston size. Looking at the callipers they look to be about the same size and the gap for the disc looks in the same position I just can't be sure what I got. It is off a GL so just wondering if is one of those discrepancies that may or may not exist between American and Euro models.

See the pics below. Ian

Brake pistons 1.jpg

brake pistons2.jpg

brake pistons 3.jpg

As you can see, apart from the height, there is a difference in diameter. They are both about the same diameter 43.77mm

Could short one be off of a rear caliper? The rear & front left are same diameter on the 1200's but rear is shorter, but not THAT much shorter. Don't know, just a guess.

The one half painted (PC'd) is from the from the Oh carp just checked your right, big un from the front, but just checked with the new piston (yeah ordered One again like a numpty), with a new rear and it is still slightly different, the new one I have is slightly smaller in OD, same height but smaller dia. The new one for the other two callipers I have 38.13mm and 23 heigh, the new one I got from the states today is 23.59mm heigh and 42.79 OD. So that means same dia as the front but about half the height.

I will list is to make better reading.
Old "original" Calliper New from the States today.

OD Height OD height
38.13 23.18 42.79 23.59

All sizes in mm

Front callipers OEM

OD Height
42.81 41.31

:help:

Ah okay it sounds very confusing. I have 4 sets of rear callipers for the GL1000. I wanted some spares either to use in the future or sell on later.

So to that end I have bought 3 sets of rear brake callipers. 1 from Europe and 2 from the states. Now the European rear callipers use a piston that is 38.13mm diameter and 23mm heigh.

The two American callipers I got have different pistons, they are 42.79 diameter and 23.59mm heigh. nearly 5mm bigger in diameter than the European ones.

I had two sets of front callipers, the ones I had on the bike were total scrap and unrecoverable. So I bought a set from Canada, they looked identical and fit the discs no problem. The pistons are very big. They are 42.81 mm Diameter and 41.55mm heigh.

So my only problem is why are the American GL1000 rear brake pistons so much bigger than the European counterpart, not only that but they look completely different even though they fit the same bike. Effectively the swept area of the brake pad is identical, the only difference is the diameter of the piston, surely the small outer diameter of the European piston would be higher than that of the American version, the piston being larger would press on the pad with less pressure per sq cm, mm or inch. I have checked the master cylinders and they are the same. so why the difference? To make matters worse the callipers split in to two halves, the larger part which mounts to the frame and the small detachable part, they are interchangeable other than the piston. crazy.

I will post a picture in the morning of the two types of callipers side by side.

This is an odd difference but manufacturers tailor products to fit the market. At the time those calipers were made the U.S. speed limit was 55mph just about everywhere. European roads were unlimited in speed at least the German autobahns. Brake force and duration would differ in that case so the calipers were likely made different to fit.
Does any of this make sense?
It made perfect sense to me until I got it written.

Actually yes it does make perfect sense, well I intend to put a bigger master cylinder I think I have another coming that is 17mm bore which is 3mm bigger than standard 14mm so if I fit the American version, it will polish up easier then the European one. so watch out for the photos in the morning.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150635#p150635:wu17mona said:
ianstaley » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:07 am[/url]":wu17mona]
Actually yes it does make perfect sense, well I intend to put a bigger master cylinder I think I have another coming that is 17mm bore which is 3mm bigger than standard 14mm so if I fit the American version, it will polish up easier then the European one. so watch out for the photos in the morning.
Ian I have found that the bigger bore MC gives me less braking force on the Rats Nest single pot calipers, I am using a CBR 12.7mm MC with good results atm.

Latest posts