New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164884#p164884:2x5vq2y9 said:
C5Performance » 30 minutes ago[/url]":2x5vq2y9]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164859#p164859:2x5vq2y9 said:
Mino » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:04 am[/url]":2x5vq2y9]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164852#p164852:2x5vq2y9 said:
slabghost » Today, 12:17 am[/url]":2x5vq2y9]
These will work for the 1500 and valk.

not necessarily. The ohm rating of the coils must match what the different ICMs of both bikes want. too low an ohm rating and the ICM will burn out.
The CBR1100XX Blackbird coils are slightly less ohms, will provide a little hotter/faster spark and will work with a OEM valkyrie ICM. But won't work with a Dyna ignition, which wants higher ohm coils, found that out by burning up a Dyna.

I'm interested in the new ignition system for my valkyrie as are others.

Thank you for the encouragement. Our ignitions are very unique and only come as a complete kit with ignition, coil(s), and wires. Mismatched parts are never a problem with the C5.

Louis (GLWrench on here) was a very close friend and mentor to me. He was a master at nagging me to design more Goldwing kits and his shop was PACKED with Goldwing bikes, parts, and literature. Just as we were finishing the new universal Goldwing kit Louis became ill and died shortly after surgery. We were planning to install the first "Gen 4" kit on his friends bike the day after his passing. As you might guess, I had no interest in finishing the project and worked on tractor ignitions this entire year. We will finish the GL1500 ignition very soon, I promise, in Louis' honor!

Here is the Cushman scooter that has prototype #1 installed (crank mounted). This is not how the 1500 kit will be mounted but it was the first optically triggered multiple spark GL engine in the world. As we designed the newest ignition Louis was performing a full repaint/rewire as he stuffed the big 6 cylinder between the frame rails. We miss you man!
file.php

file.php

file.php

nice conversion.
have u seen this install of a valkyrie engine?
https://marvinbaumann.com/valkyrie.html

Here is a picture showing total coil length and placement of the towers on our newest coil. I think it is a very odd looking coil but they are thinner and more powerful so I'll get used to them.

Since our new coils are COP (coil on plug) style it will require springs underneath each coil wire cap.

I have my first three installations using a Yamaha Virago, a Honda CB750 (I already test fit on my own), and a Moto Guzzi 850T.

If anyone is working on a GL1200 I would love to ship our next kit with these coils. I'm running low on Goldwing parts and it will be another month before we can machine another run. FYI for those who might procrastinate. With the GL1100 and GL1200 packed with extra wiring I hope these new coils will fit without having to fabricate coil mounts.

Attachments

• Spring placement.png
    Spring placement.png
    480.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 233
Those look small enough to jam in any number of small spaces. Those are on the top of my wanted list for sure.

HAPPY 2016 EVERYONE!

Today I made the GL1500 prototype part that everyone has been waiting for.

There is a cross drilled oil passage just inside the cam center and we're being careful to avoid blocking it.
Honda oil seals will be used on this kit (same as the front seal).

The shaft must be a tight "press fit" so it won't spin or come loose.

My next step will be to make a "pre-production" part and install into an engine. I have someone in Florida who has offered to test ride since we are buried in snow and ice.

I was talking with Ila Hallett (Louis' wife) about this project today since he was a huge part of it. We looked up what Honda charged back when they were available. The CDI controller for the '88 model was $761 and by the time you add the pulse generator, coils, and wires it would have cost over $1400. The '89 model was $1200 and the last year of production it had dropped to $890.

I know with a decent production run we can stay well below that and it will be a superior ignition in many ways. Multi spark ignition, four timing maps, center adapter, base plate, gasket, aluminum cover, mounting hardware, three new micro coils, and all new spark plug leads. Unless you live in Wisconsin you won't even pay sales tax.

Teaser....I would be VERY interested in "before and after" dyno runs with a 6 carb Valkyrie. With jetting I would expect a healthy power increase!

Attachments

• DSCN1009.JPG
    DSCN1009.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 539
  • DSCN1001.JPG
    DSCN1001.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN0992.JPG
    DSCN0992.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 538
I HATE YOU!!! :smilie_happy: Just kidding. :popcorn: Have been watching your progression for sometime now. :hi: For the FIRST time thinking that acquiring an extra ignition for all my fleet (used of course), was a waste of time, & money :headscratch: Still less than yours invested, :whistling: & less than new as we ALL know :eek:k: But yours is a GREAT UPGRADE, :rocks: one i never thought would happen! :nea:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165491#p165491:19lbhzoi said:
Denver » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm[/url]":19lbhzoi]
I HATE YOU!!! :smilie_happy: Just kidding. :popcorn: Have been watching your progression for sometime now. :hi: For the FIRST time thinking that acquiring an extra ignition for all my fleet (used of course), was a waste of time, & money :headscratch: Still less than yours invested, :whistling: & less than new as we ALL know :eek:k: But yours is a GREAT UPGRADE, :rocks: one i never thought would happen! :nea:

The fun thing for me is to plan a production run of 25 and still be half the price that Honda charged. Maybe that's why I drive a truck with 287,000 miles on it. We are trying very hard to keep the price down so these bikes don't end up on ebay as parts.

It has taken a long time for this to be completed but hopefully it is worth the wait.

Thanks!

I'm driving an 86 Ranger with 200 miles on a rebuilt motor. Runs like new now and I'm not interested in the newer stuff. OTOH I can't wait to get a c5 installed on my Valk.

When & if i get the cash, will want a total of four. :heat: Three 1200's, & one 1500, at $500 a pop will be a while, :roll: not a complaint at all, but when one of the 84 standards is done, the other one will be asking wheres mine? :shock: Then the 87's going to be wanting, :hihihi: as well as the 91 saying, with about 145,000 miles, with no issues, I deserve be first. :Doh2:

Similar situation here. Seems the 1200 will be first though and the Valk second. The two 1100's and 1000 will have to wait.

the c5 project of paul louie and gary of power arc ...is what america is suppose to be about ...and the best thing to ever happen to oldwings since there making in my opinion ...priceless when you see america work its magic .. :good:

Having you guys nag (politely) once in awhile sure helped motivate me to get back on this project!

Once I finish up a few things around here Slabghost and I will be working on his bike together. I'm interested in using our new Air-Fuel meter to do carb tuning after installing our ignition.

That gives me an excuse to visit Eastern Ohio again and mix business with pleasure.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=165511#p165511:3muwvopi said:
Denver » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:16 am[/url]":3muwvopi]
When & if i get the cash, will want a total of four. :heat: Three 1200's, & one 1500, at $500 a pop will be a while, :roll: not a complaint at all, but when one of the 84 standards is done, the other one will be asking wheres mine? :shock: Then the 87's going to be wanting, :hihihi: as well as the 91 saying, with about 145,000 miles, with no issues, I deserve be first. :Doh2:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts