new carter/weber carb from Tom @Stovebolt

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This question shows that I really know nothing about this single carb conversion LOL but,

What are 32/32 and 32/36?
Do they represent some sort of carb dimensions and used to describe different size carbs?

In any case, I need to move the onboard air pump for the suspension somewhere to fit the air cleaner.

thank you very much 700 ...we have worked hard here to keep things close to real as we could ... like a lot of things ..info can get out of bounds and off target ... seems you have waded through just fine ... very neat for me as ive got a deal im doing right now that's almost exactly like yours ... takes some of the unknown out seeing your bike ... as I will try and mount the carb the same as yours maybe to get the e choke in ...nice work :builder: :clapping: :mrgreen:

Thanks Dan for the explanation.

Okay, just ordered the stuff from Tom (FINALLY! My single carb conversion commenced.)
He told me the importance of heating the plenum which I know comes up frequently here on CGW.

Yet, I don't see that in sgq700's design? Am I wrong or you don't need it in AZ?
I was thinking of using grip heater because it seems easier. Will it give enough heat or I should use the water from the engine?

I would like to see the grip heater given a shot, I also keep thinking about a glow plug or the old Massey Ferguson Diesel inlet heater. The grip heaters draw less current so that would probably be preferred, as a sparky I keep thinking switched circuit so only used when needed. The advantage of a coolant,exhaust or oil based system is that once completed nothing to much too fail.

skiri251, i do have heat in my intake, not much! I boxed in the center of the inverted V area and used a 1/4"npt fitting ,tapped into the water crossover pipe from the heads. i have not hit it with the heat gun to see if it does anything? as you know, it's been 75 deg here from the time i finished mine so who can tell? 1 important thing, my intake never got even 1/4 as cold with this setup as it did with the empi 34pict3 carb! i think raising up the carb with the adapter gave it a tunnel ram effect and it seemed to not have the cold effect that the 1bbl did??

Interesting take v on the heating use.. the major draw back v is the power drain on the bike's system... since you have limited output from stator.. you have that to contend with... water heat is basically free non power robbing heat.. that is the main issue I see

I am just vaguely afraid of tapping into things because of possible leaks etc. but if it's simple enough I agree it's free heat.
I need to search the posts here as to where and how I should tap in.

I just installed a new stator which says it's 10% or so more powerful and efficient than OEM. And I don't use huge running lights or heated grips/vest etc. So I think I am okay with grip heater used for plenum heating also.

my 76 wing charging system only has to run headlight tail and brake light and ignition.
Seems as there should be enough amperage left to run a couple of grip heaters.
I will soon be starting my single carb conversion and may try this for heating vw manifold.
dave. P.S. I will start new thread when I get it going to let you know what worked or not.

Latest posts