new member from Kentucky!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niterider73

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is chance, I'm 25 and live in the great state of ky. I'm looking for my fourth bike. Now I've had crotch rockets, older sport bikes and even sport cruisers, but my "go fast days" are much in the past and while I may not be retired or unemployed, its been my dream for many years to have a Gold wing! Now I've been doing much research and I have decided what kind of wing I'm looking for. Now they are not easy to come by and when you do find one I expect to pay a pretty penny. I'm talking about an 1986 Honda Goldwing SEi! First off I'm a sucker for digital anything so when it has a full digital cluster and trip computer I'm hooked. Plus along with the other gadgets, you can't go wrong. Now I know the bike is efi so no worrying about gummy carbs, and the stator is larger than a regular aspencade of that time, so no issues there, but what should I be looking for when it comes to issues with a 28 year old bike? Guys this is my absolute dream bike and I found one in TN with 35k for $4250 now that's much more than I've ever spent on a bike before so I can't be too cautious. You guys are the experts, can you give a noob, and future Goldwing owner a few pointers on what to avoid and what to look for? Than again y'all for giving me the privilege to join your forum, I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Welcome from Oz. If the bike rides as good as it sounds and you feel mileage is correct I would be wanting to pay $3500 or less, but I am a cheap bastard...

welcome to classic ...if sei or ltd 1200 fuel injection is what you want .. its a limited market so might want to really go after these 90,000 miles is a lot ... but that tells you it been a decent bike and rode a lot ... the parts availability in the fuel injection is sad ... so this has to pass the mustard test in operation ... as if not right would be costly most likely to most ...

Guys can you explain to me what the trip computer does? I've tried looking up forums and or videos on it to no advantage. It looks like a giant calculator with a joystick in the upper corner. Is this a pre GPS device? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah... Nice looking bike Chance, $3,500 is more than fair. A seller just can't recoup all the money they've put into a bike but they still try. That being said, it's up to you and what you want. If it were me and I had that kind of a budget, I'd be patient, you can get alot more bike with lower m mileage. I was patient and got my 1500 for only $3,000.

You have to look at it with an open mind and not the lust you have., you dont nessisarily need EFI, The trip computer function is neat but you can mount a simpler GPS on any 1200, Most all electronics today are made smaller and simpler and reliable. The guy put squiggly blue lines all over it , not for everyone...Could be the last service a part was needed but no longer available, Time to sell. 90K isnt allot for a wing but enough to warrant a better price given the miles , unknown bike and squiggly blue lines.
A dealer may ask and get that price with a 1 year warranty but a CL ad? That bike should be no more then 3500 with great rubber, no stalls or hesitations in the engine, no smoke cold or warm, paint near perfect, seat perfect, all books/papers. all the electronics working.
I have seen quit a few LTD EFI`s go for 25-2900(same miles) needing minor work, Many clean ones(less miles) needing nothing bring 3-3400 so 3500 would be the limit.
I have seen many of 1200 way more dressed with all the bells and wistles chrome ect. lower miles bring 3-3500, some were well under 3000. Something to consider before you pull the trigger.
Welcome to the forum, hope your riding soon..

Definitely, don't let the lust get the better of you.
Good advise.
I have to work on that myself.
Patience, and keep looking around.
This could be 'your bike' but you might find better.

Welcome, Chance, from Southern California! You're looking at a nice bike, but I agree with the previous posts - $3500 would be about tops. I don't think the trip computer has GPS, it's all about fuel mileage, distance traveled, average MPG... Think about the computer you used back in '86...DOS, Windows 3.1, 5 1/4" and 3.5" floppy discs... oh that's right, you were -3 years old then! It's cool and functional, but don't expect a lot from it. The '85 Limited is also a nice fuel injected 1200 if you should come across one.

The ad didn't mention a water pump. Look very carefully under the front of the engine at the small weep hole, just rear of the radiator hose outlet, for any signs of coolant or oil seeping out. 90K miles is unusual for an original pump. Also look carefully for any rust on the frame, especially around the center stand.

Best of luck to you in your quest! You'll find your dream toy! You might already have...

Yeah I didn't think it was anything special, I understand its 1986 and GPS wasn't in the picture then, but I saw the LCD form of the united states and figured hmmm maybe lol. So it says in the ad 4250 obo so in thinking I start off at 2900 and meet n the middle. Do y'all think 2900 is too low to start at?

Welcome to CGW from Texas. The 86 SEI is a great bike for its time,$4000.00 price is at the high end but OK if the bike has been maintained. You need to be a fair mechanic/electrician yourself if you take one on. Its hard to find anyone that will work on it.The trip computer is not that special it will monitor your mileage and fuel . I like my 86 SEI it out powers the carb models, you do take a hit on gas mileage , around 40 mpg and yes you can move up to the 1500 but for me I like the look of the 86 . good luck.

really you take a hit on gas mileage? I would think with EFI you if you would get better mileage if anything. so the trip computer only monitors your fuel mileage? now is it just the 85 and 86 Ltd and SEi models that offer fancy gadgets like for a ride suspension and digital clusters and well trip computers?

The 85 LTD & the 86 SEI were limited edition models,I read somewhere that only 5000 86 were built . they have CFI and were a little ahead of there times. The fuel mileage has some to do with the fact the bike weight is 800+ lbs. If I drive 60/65 the mpg goes to around 45. at 70/75 just under 40 mpg still not bad.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

I too agree that $3500 is tops. GL 1500's are out there at the same price, bigger bike, more horsepower.