New member from Paradise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Dog Tannen

Reaction score
My name is Marty, I am from Paradise Ca. I love motorcycles, snowboarding and guns.

I just bought a 1981 Honda Goldwing a couple of days ago for $450. It doesn't currently run. I plan to restore the whole thing, except I only plan to take the engine down to the long block. It needs shocks rebuildt all the way around and carbs too. I plan to strip all of the fairings off and make sort of a chopper out of it. I am really into polishing metal so there will most likely be a lot of shininess to it. I pick it up this weekend.

I also own a 2001 RC51, which is my favorite bike that I have owned so far. I have had 2 F4i's and a GSXR600 in the past. It has exhaust, power commander, steering dampener, Q2 tires...etc.

I also own a 1999 Volvo V70XC (nicknamed Ulga). It has an upgraded turbo, exhaust, tune, brakes...etc. I use her to go snowbarding at LakeTahoe.

Hi Marty. Can't wait to see some photos. I also liked guns until they made all the fun ones illegal in Oz.

Welcome from a place far from paradise. Not far from stupidville. Once you get that new to you bike on the road you may find a new favorite.

Welcome, Mad Dog Marty, from SoCal!

Make sure to make part of your rebuild the installation of a flux capacitor. Then you can ride that Wing Back To The FUTURE!!

Mark

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Mad Dog Tannen!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

With a name like that, yer gunna fit right in around here..... :smilie_happy:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I pick up the bike tomorrow.

I was thinking of doing a lapse time of the build.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I haven't really disassembled her yet. My car needed work and I had school.

I just have fairings and stuff off so far. Where is a good place to get carb and shock rebuild kits?

it a sad state for oldwings parts ...there all made in china ...who hate japan ....the parts are jumk ...the prices are way to high ....and a lot of times they dont even fit to try ...oh good luck on refund ..... :smilie_happy: its really hard to recomend anybody but people here that deal in used parts......and some people that provide home grown replacement parts of there own design ....as for the carbs id take them off and look at them first ...it may cost nothing to get them right ....shock seals are huge ripoff costing some oldwing owners 30 plus dollars for a o ring and of course it takes two so 60dollars plus shipping i wouldnt recomend these people to anyone accept to a jail cell keeper ...best frame of mind for an oldwing owner is make the parts you have work and only go to the aftermarket gangters if you have to ...... :mrgreen:

joedrum":1q2wb6na said:
it a sad state for oldwings parts ...there all made in china ...who hate japan ....the parts are jumk ...the prices are way to high ....and a lot of times they dont even fit to try ...oh good luck on refund ..... :smilie_happy: its really hard to recomend anybody but people here that deal in used parts......and some people that provide home grown replacement parts of there own design ....as for the carbs id take them off and look at them first ...it may cost nothing to get them right ....shock seals are huge ripoff costing some oldwing owners 30 plus dollars for a o ring and of course it takes two so 60dollars plus shipping i wouldnt recomend these people to anyone accept to a jail cell keeper ...best frame of mind for an oldwing owner is make the parts you have work and only go to the aftermarket gangters if you have to ...... :mrgreen:

I plan on using a lot of modern sport bike parts because I just don't like the big heavy controls on the cruisers. But the shocks and carbs need factory parts to run right. I haven't opened up the carbs yet, but the PO said he kinda messed them up and all of the diaphrams have been blown.

Also does anyone use a steering dampener on their wing?