New Tars and Dyna Beads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
image.php
My new tars are here! My new tars are here! My new tars are here! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Got my new Bridgestone Spittin Fires this evening. I also went by a little bike place close to the shop earlier, and picked up some Dyna Beads. I spent quite a bit of time researching them, since some of youse guys have used them, and felt good enough to give them a try. I got a 1 oz bag for the front, and a 2 oz bag for the rear. Also bought me some new gloves while I were there. :mrgreen:
The guy at the shop axed me what I rode, and I toll him a Goldwing. "What year". I says '81. You would have thought I told him his mama was fat or something...he shouted "Oh wow!!" and threw his hands up to his head. Weird feller. There was an '81 parked across the parking lot, and I pointed at it and told him it was 'zactly like dat un....same color and all. Apparently, he kinda likes the Classic 'Wings, even tho he rides an ape hangin Hardly. Anyway, had a nice little chat, and left.

I gots werk to do tomorry...tearing the thing down to mount the tires, and doin some cleanin iffin I has time. :builder: :builder: :builder:

AApple":1ctl4hia said:
I gots werk to do tomorry...tearing the thing down to mount the tires, and doin some cleanin iffin I has time. :builder: :builder: :builder:
OK Joel......now focus.......remember, it is the tires you are working on......don't go and find some other part of the bike that don't need fixin unless it needs fixin and you didn't know beforehand it needed fixin until you took the wheels off! :smilie_happy: (Sorry.....feelin smart-alecky like) :wave:

get the camera out and document your every move please sir...While changing you're tires..Please, thank you thank you very much..

littlebeaver":254xlva1 said:
get the camera out and document your every move please sir...While changing you're tires..Please, thank you thank you very much..
Yeah specially since those spacers like to go back where they were don't cha know.

Dang...tough crowd! :whip:

Take pichurs? Ummmm...might be a little late for that...at least for the front tar, anyway. I did get the front off/mounted today. I gotta tells ya...removing/replacing tars is HARD if ya cain't use no lube on them....yeeeeesh! :builder: :builder: :builder: The Dyna Beads don't like any wetness, oils, soaps, etc., or they'll clump up...and be useless. Hard to get rubber to slid off/on the beads of the rim with no slicky stuff. Also hard to get them to seat well on the rims once you do get them mounted. I got the Dyna Beads that come in the tiny plastic bag, so I could just chunk the bag in the tire before seating the beads. My BAD.....next time, I'll just pour them tiny little farkers in thru the valve stem. Those little bastiges better do the job.....that's all I got to say...
I din't get the rear tire mounted. I did get the old/new one off, tho. I wound up having to take the rim to the car wash after getting the tire off to clean it up some before I put the new tire on. I sprayed it down with engine degreaser here first, then took it up to the carwash and blasted all of the funk off of it. Mostly the freekin Moly lube, but also the cheap-a$$ed Fix-a-flat stuff I put in it..what a joke. Mostly water, from what I saw...very little sticky/gooey/sealer. :head bang: Anyway got the rear rim cleaned, and ready to install the tire tomorrow. I wuz getting hongry, so I had to stop and take Mama out fer supper.
I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow, but no promises. Video would be useless, without an "X" rating...I made up a few new bad werds today... :sensored:

I put dyne beads in my tires. I never took the old weights off. Now I have no vibration and the tires have not worn at all. rode 3500 miles this summer from ohio to sturgis.

Fimnally got around to putting them in my car. Now the steering wheel dos not shake. I'll never use weights again.

Well...I finally got done with the tars....whew! :heat: The rear one mounted much easier, for some reason, even tho it was a pita to get off the rim. Got it all back together, and went for a spin down da road. SWEEEEEET! I really wasn't expecting a big difference but I was certainly surprised. Dang thing rides like it's on glass....it's like the difference between getting off a Hardly, and getting on a 'Wing. Smooooth. I'll give it a few days, and let the slick stuff wear off the tires before I make a final judgment, but so far, the Dyna Beads have transformed this bike. NO shimmy, no bouncing, nothing. I din't really think it had any vibration/tire bound before...I was wrong.

I did take a few pics...I'll link them later...Mama says it's suppertime! :salute:

Otay...here's the few pics I took. Not much in the way of a "how to", but some none the less. Just click for the link to my galley pics. I'm tared, and my back is hertin purdy bad....I be too OLD to be bending over all day like that...
soleo.gif

While I'm tinkin aboot it...Imma gunna need anudder won of dees things next time I tear the rear apart on this 'Wing....Last time I had it apart to install the new tire in Feb of this year, there was negligible wear on the splines. This time, however, there is considerable wear...at least 1/2 way thru. Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for one that ain't wore slap out.
I'm using a Heavy Dooty Moly grease. It ain't Honda brand, but still.... :beg:

Yeah...this stuff ain't very thick at all. I had a choice of a paste, or grease, and I got the grease. Shoulda/coulda/woulda, I guess. I'll know next time.

Yippppppie!!! :yahoo:
The ride in to werk this am was glorious! Felt like I was ridin a new 'Wing. The combo of new tars, and the Dyna Beads were well worth the trouble. I never realized how bad it actually was before, but it rides soooooooo much smoother now. I'm a Dyna Bead convert.
I know my front tire was worn, and weather cracked, so it was definitely causing some issues. In fact, once I got it off, I could see clearly that it had not much time left in one area. It was cupping pretty badly in that one area, and had almost no tread left at all. The rest of the tire still had some meat, but had cracks. Dang thing had to be bouncing up/down, but strangely enough, I never really felt it, or dint notice it. :whistling:
So, for anyone looking for a testimonial for Dyna Beads, I say go for it....they'll make yer day! :eek:k:

My front tire, a Dunlop EII had about 20,000 miles on it...so it was time. I put that tire on there when I first bought this bike back in '08. Since then I have replaced the rear tire 3 times now....and it had a new one on it when I bought it.
I sure hope this Bridgestone lasts long enough to get me thru a couple of years(or more).
I still plan on patching the fairly new Bridgestone I just took off the rear, and have it for emergency use. I need to get the plug out of it, and see how it looks on the inside first. It doesn't appear to be split, like I thought it was, but I still ain't sure just yet.

I'm planning on getting Dyna Beads for both the Corvettes, now, but they may not work on the '85, since it has fairly low profile(and wiiiide) tires.... :yes: :yahoo:

Naw...I just got the bags, sliced them open, then put a bit of scotch tape on the open end, then chunked them in the tires as I was mounting them. Once they fly around in there a couple of miles, they are out of the bag, and on the job. :good: It's like riding a NEW bike, for me....the difference is simply amazing. I've had new tires on this thing before, but I have never balanced any of them. I'll be using the beads from now on, I'll tell ya that!

The web site doesn't recommend using them on low profile tires, since they don't have enough of a sidewall to really work well. On "normal" tires, they'll do fine, according to the site. :yes:

The design is for them to roll around independently of each other. They say if you use any type of lubrication on the tire beads when mounting, to be extremely careful, and not get any inside of the tire, or the beads may stick together, defeating the purpose. So, using a fix-a-flat would also make them null and void. In my case, I had already used some cheapo fixyflat stuff, so I had to clean the rim very well, and get all of that sticky stuff off. They also warn to clean the inside of the tire, to make sure there is no mold release agent inside that would cause the beads to become sticky.

Don't know how you would be able to clean anything if just installing the beads on an already mounted tire, but lots of folks have done it that way, and have had good results.

Check out the Dyna Beads info on their website....lots of good stuff there. Take a look at the "How it Works" section while yer there.... :good: