oil filter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a truck shop, and I have had a little experience with filters. We are currently using Fram filters. I send filters in every 50,000 miles for contaminate testing along with oil evaluation. I can not speak for the Fram I'm running on my bike, but we have had really good luck with them in our trucks.

We have had some really bad experiences in the past with Purolator filters, but that was a long time ago. I know Wix makes a good quality filter as well. I have changed my oil several times in my 83 wing and have never seen any deterioration of the filter. I have also seen in the past oil filters that were so plugged they were going into bypass, but that is normally because of poor preventive maintenance (not changing the oil). I change my oil every 5000 miles and always change the filter. If you don't change the filter, you are just mixing dirty oil with clean.

When I first go my 83, the oil was like mud. I ran sea foam in the engine three times to get it cleaned up changing the filter each time. The first time I ran sea foam (about forty minutes of running) the crud in the engine almost plugged up the filter. Changing the filter each oil change is just good preventive maintenance in my opinion,and a lot cheaper than an engine.

On bikes as old as the gl1100, checking the oil pump pickup screen should also be done. Checked mine a few weeks ago and it was about 1/3 plugged. Wish I would have checked it when I first bought the bike. It's actually very easy to do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102295#p102295:5falk9lx said:
mickster » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:15 pm[/url]":5falk9lx]
On bikes as old as the gl1100, checking the oil pump pickup screen should also be done. Checked mine a few weeks ago and it was about 1/3 plugged. Wish I would have checked it when I first bought the bike. It's actually very easy to do.

I would be very interested in hearing how it's done.
Pm me with details please

I'm sure it's already documented on the internet, but basically remove the right crash guard, use a bar to pry the frame out a bit, then I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to pinch the big crash bar bolt to keep the frame out a bit, remove pry bar, then remove the 4 bolts on the screen cover. Remove cover, then remove screen.