ready to go on trip

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how it was like last year when I made that trip this time of the year and at one point (when I was riding in a monsoon) I think the idea of crazy came up a few times.

Many years ago, when I lived in Massachusetts, the weather was unseasonably warm in late February, so several of us got the bright idea that we'd ride down to Daytona for Bike Week, rather than trailer (which we usually did). We left in bright sun and warm temperatures - for New England February.

The ride down was actually very nice. We were on top of the world. Had a ball in Daytona...as always, and then it was time to go home. Florida was still Florida, but I swear that once we hit the Georgia state line the rain started. Not horrible at first, but after a while the temperatures began to drop and we had... Cold. Rain. For. 1000. Miles. It never actually turned to snow, but it would not have surprised me in the least. At one point, we were stopping about every fifty miles to thaw out.

We could not have chosen a nastier two days if we'd tried. Without a doubt, the most miserable ride of my life.

Glad you got through it, Joe.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184497#p184497:1b7zof3j said:
brianinpa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 am[/url]":1b7zof3j]
I know how it was like last year when I made that trip this time of the year and at one point (when I was riding in a monsoon) I think the idea of crazy came up a few times.

yep 1396.2 miles of thinking i was crazy as one can get LOL....but i learned something on this trip ....i met three bikers going my way ...and of course these guys were just as crazy ...maybe more so ...all three wanted to challenge hooch ..the first was easy to tell what it was ..a bmw copy of a oldwing ..im thinking a four cylinder water cool bike look rather new compared to hooch ...here we are freezinf to death riding and he wanted to play ....goosed his bike hard then slowed back up and smiled at me ...so me being as crazy ..i was challenged about our crazyness ..i goosed hooch and blister away....then fell back to him and smiled back ..we both had full face helmets on so the miling was with the eyes LOL...so he holds up two fingers as he wanted us to goose it together ...then he drop one finger and then the other and we both hit it hard ...hooch waxed him good ....we both backed off and gave each other the that fun fun deal ..and he made a gesture of respect for hooch with a thumbs up about hooch ...rode for bit and he got off interstate sheesh i still had 600miles to go yet

the next guy was a harley guy traveling about 90mph ..he passed me with a big show of power right beside my bike ...i let him go a bit ..then hit hooch hard ...hooch blasted by him like a rocket ..he had absolutely nothing for hooch except louder sounding ...he was actually pissed id say ...and got off interstate at the next exit ...he would have none of me slowing down back to him he stayed back and got off at the exit ...oh well ....

the third guy was on i think a ducati im not sure ..bike was all plastic and i couldnt see motor or name on it ...this bike was fast and so was hooch ..but hooch bested him on burst of power ....this guy wanted to play over a 100mph ..i wanted no part of that and backed off ...he just went out of sight never saw him again ...but wasnt long after that there was a rest stop and i needed to recoup and went there ...only the crazy are out in this weather is what i learned LOL

went and check hooch over good ...seems to have used no oil or coolant ...went for a ride today ...sheesh hooch never ceases to amaze me ...down here the weather was great and hooch love it ..the bike gave me some big thrills today it was running so well ....what a completely different feeling from the road trip brutality ...tee shirt weather super fun riding

Latest posts