smoke coming out of ignition module?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135080#p135080:20ctia26 said:
backlander » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:08 pm[/url]":20ctia26]
Can you post a picture of the reg/rect. mounted to your frame, I'm a little confused because you said it was loose, if it is then the system is not receiving any ground from that G101 grounding point, hence the smoke, hopefully it only smoked the ICU and not the reg/rect. also. Could be why your getting low readings on the coils also, no ground.

Tomorrow I can get a pic, not enough light for pictures atm.

The voltage regulator is just temporarily bolted with a single bolt to the location that usually holds the icu on the 83. Its a metal plate which is held on to the top of the frame with one phillips screw. I didn't think it needed a ground to the frame because the stock 83 regulator mount was isolated from the frame with rubber. Maybe that's not how it's supposed to be either, but that's how it was. I thought the green wire was enough of a ground because thats all that was grounding it before. Didn't know the green wire and vr needed a frame ground as well. It didn't have a frame ground when I got it.

I found I need to fix my ignition switch as well, have to re-solder and clean it, it seems loose and is making a sketchy connection.

What do people do for grounding and mounting these items when custom bikes relocate all the electronics? I'd like a link to a build where someone successfully relocated everything to see how they did it, if anyone can think of a build like that let me know.

I want all that electronics and relays and icu and regulator and turn signal stuff off the top and sides of the frame so I can do without a false tank and ride with a completely bare frame. The way it is now was just temporary to test the bike.

does the 1200 have a mech advance unit like the 1100 only with out the vacume advance? if it does,then use the igniters from a 1100 and do away with the black box.. the 1100 igniters and pick up's don't seem to have any issue? you can reset the timing and not really need the advance unit as long as you don't have to meet smog test standards

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135115#p135115:22fnpyxg said:
sgq700 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:54 pm[/url]":22fnpyxg]
does the 1200 have a mech advance unit like the 1100 only with out the vacume advance? if it does,then use the igniters from a 1100 and do away with the black box.. the 1100 igniters and pick up's don't seem to have any issue? you can reset the timing and not really need the advance unit as long as you don't have to meet smog test standards

Too late, I already have another cdi on the way. I hope it works, its a Nippon box and this had a Hitachi box. I also ordered a new transistor to try fixing the Hitachi.
I'm debating buying some neon coils to go with the new cdi. They don't cost much...

I dont have to meet smog tests luckily, or this bike would already fail with its single vw carb.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135117#p135117:3vu4heuh said:
joedrum » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:02 pm[/url]":3vu4heuh]
the black box of the 1200 runs on vacuum for the advance somehow... almost positive on this

good luck ..great you got one

Yes the vacuum advance runs off one of the nipples on the intakes used for balancing the oem carbs. In my single carb setup its just one vacuum hose from intake to cdi.

I keep getting frustrated with this project and thinking about parting it out, but now it feels so close to done I just can't give up now. :head bang:

The ICU works in conjunction with the gear selector switch on the front of the engine to adjust the timing on the 1200's. First thru third gear, the ICU adjusts the timing electronicaly. When it receives a signal from the gear selector switch telling it that the bike is in fourth and fifth gear, it uses engine vacuum thru the pressure sensor in the ICU to adjust the timing. My 86 has a green tagged Hitachi ICU on it so I don't think it makes much difference. My 84 and 85's have the Nippodenso ICU's on them. If you want to, you can view the Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual in the Gallery, page 32 thru about 38 shows the ground system for the Interstate and Aspy models so you can trace down the wires that have been cut and go nowhere that you talked about. You will see that nearly all system grounds go back to the G101 ground on that bottom bolt of the reg/rec mounting plate.

And in doing so, 4th and 5th gears, it has more advance in the timing than the early models. Vacuum makes sure it backs off when under load. A good deal, except nobody's making the module any more. The C5 could have a fair market for a while as they become less and less available.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135128#p135128:kf8p7l5p said:
backlander » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:03 pm[/url]":kf8p7l5p]
The ICU works in conjunction with the gear selector switch on the front of the engine to adjust the timing on the 1200's. First thru third gear, the ICU adjusts the timing electronicaly. When it receives a signal from the gear selector switch telling it that the bike is in fourth and fifth gear, it uses engine vacuum thru the pressure sensor in the ICU to adjust the timing. My 86 has a green tagged Hitachi ICU on it so I don't think it makes much difference. My 84 and 85's have the Nippodenso ICU's on them. If you want to, you can view the Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual in the Gallery, page 32 thru about 38 shows the ground system for the Interstate and Aspy models so you can trace down the wires that have been cut and go nowhere that you talked about. You will see that nearly all system grounds go back to the G101 ground on that bottom bolt of the reg/rec mounting plate.

My 1200 didn't have the 6 wire gear switch in the front engine cover when I got it. It had a 3 wire switch which only indicates neutral first and overdrive or something like that.

I just upgraded the front engine cover to one from an 85 sei when I replaced my water pump, and it just happened to have the 6 wire switch which indicates all gears. That switches connector doesn't fit my wiring harness, my wiring harness only has 3 wires so the cdi could not receive the signals you are talking about. Currently nothing is connected to that plug on my wiring harness because I added a led gear indicator so that is what is connected to line from the gear switch.

Maybe I have an 83 harness with 84 cdi? I have no idea what the hell year parts this frankensteined 83 with unknown year 1200 engine and 1100 heads might have on it. It has a whole bunch of mix and match parts, and I'm continuing to change even more stuff so it only gets more confusing. Whoever gets this bike after me is going to need a few pages describing what is what or he'll be even more confused than I was at first.

ahh dont worry we are going to figure this out ....at least now we are getting somewhere ... all my bike are frankenwings ....it seems you hit the nail on the head ...i bet it is a 1200 modual on a 1100 harness ....it even sounds like a 1100 front cover on it ... i do not think they made a 3 wire nuetral switch for a 1200.....i have a 84 1200 witch is first yr and i am sure its a 6 wire deal

we need pics of things ....i am rather sure you do have 1100 wiring harness ...and there may be a mismatch in parts ...causing the problem.. need to really figure this out efore hooking new box up ...

this is no big deal in my view ... now we are on track :mrgreen:

Sounds as if a wiring harness is the easiest way to (HARNESS) :smilie_happy: this problem. :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135133#p135133:1fhtu4lg said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:46 am[/url]":1fhtu4lg]
ahh dont worry we are going to figure this out ....at least now we are getting somewhere ... all my bike are frankenwings ....it seems you hit the nail on the head ...i bet it is a 1200 modual on a 1100 harness ....it even sounds like a 1100 front cover on it ... i do not think they made a 3 wire nuetral switch for a 1200.....i have a 84 1200 witch is first yr and i am sure its a 6 wire deal

we need pics of things ....i am rather sure you do have 1100 wiring harness ...and there may be a mismatch in parts ...causing the problem.. need to really figure this out efore hooking new box up ...

this is no big deal in my view ... now we are on track :mrgreen:

I wonder if I should replace the wiring harness or instead just use an 1100 cdi. Someone said the 1100 cdi isnt a weak spot like 1200's...

What about my coils, if they are 1100 coils will I also need to replace them and wiring harness to use a 1200 cdi?

Will I run into other issues where plugs on other stuff won't fit from 1100 parts connecting to 1200 harness?

I'll try to pull the bike out for pics today if the weather allows it.

all the things you mention are in play 83gl1200....unless it a 84 1200 you have problems ...using 1100 stuff ...i have an 84 1200 in a 82 1100 bike ... it is the most simple trans plant of them all ...basically replacing 1200 rear ignition unit with a 1100 rear ignition unit is it mostly and all 1100 wiring and stuff works ...if it is a front ignition 1200 yrs 85-87 not so simple .. but certainly not impossible thats for sure ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135154#p135154:mrugjrbq said:
slabghost » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 am[/url]":mrugjrbq]
Is the ignition at the rear of the motor? If so it's an 84.

I think so, I already replaced my timing belts and didn't see any crank sensors up front. Timing belt cover is permanently off so thats easy enough to double check.

I looked on eBay and a main wiring harness for 1200's starts at just $15 shipped. Would I specifically need an 84 interstate harness or any 1200 non fuel injected harness.

Will I run into problems where plugs from front engine harness won't fit or plugs from hand controls, etc won't fit?
I see main harnesses separate from front engine harnesses, separate from front fairing harnesses... Will I need all parts or just main? I dont have a fairing, and wont, but wondering if headlight and front turn signal connectors are in main harness or fairing harness.

i like Joe's thought !! put the 1100 system on it (if you have a rear dist) and be done with the problems(in my opinion) the ign problems are the only reason i wanted nothing to do with a 1200 engine... unless i stepped up to a C5 ign system, but that is more money than i have in my bike..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135157#p135157:224qaoff said:
sgq700 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:04 pm[/url]":224qaoff]
i like Joe's thought !! put the 1100 system on it (if you have a rear dist) and be done with the problems(in my opinion) the ign problems are the only reason i wanted nothing to do with a 1200 engine... unless i stepped up to a C5 ign system, but that is more money than i have in my bike..

Sounds like a good idea to me, what about the loss of vacuum advance?

If you have ignition in the back, an 1100 ignition housing along with the pickups complete will bolt right on. The 1100 housing has a vacuum advance diaphragm built into it unlike the 1200 housing which uses the icu for advance.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135161#p135161:tkhzzbl2 said:
dan filipi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:23 pm[/url]":tkhzzbl2]
If you have ignition in the back, an 1100 ignition housing along with the pickups complete will bolt right on. The 1100 housing has a vacuum advance diaphragm built into it unlike the 1200 housing which uses the icu for advance.

I like the sound of that, aside from having to remove the swingarm again to replace it, for the third or fourth time so far.

But when I look on eBay for 1100 ecu or ICU or ignitor I see conflicting results. Most appear to be one OKI box with one electrical plug. One auction shows two boxes like a fuel injected 1200 but says they are for an 1100.

My harness and current ICU have two connectors, and they don't look like they would fit ANY of the 1100 boxes on eBay. The confusion continues...

Latest posts