smoke coming out of ignition module?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just snag a used 1100 harness, they are cheap,from 1980 to 83 and it will be plug and play. you can move all your stuff where you want to so you won't need your false tank. grab the 1100 ign unit,change it out and you are running again. all 1100's have 2 small plug in igniters

why not do the super thing to do and just c5 it .. i am assuming you have 1100 cams in this bike ...if you get 1000 cams for it and c5 it you will have world class ignition second to nothing on the planet...i could not be more happy to have an ignition as good as the motor is ...with the single carb deal and c5 you will a suoerwing

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135164#p135164:gm0vfvps said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:42 pm[/url]":gm0vfvps]
why not do the super thing to do and just c5 it .. i am assuming you have 1100 cams in this bike ...if you get 1000 cams for it and c5 it you will have world class ignition second to nothing on the planet...i could not be more happy to have an ignition as good as the motor is ...with the single carb deal and c5 you will a suoerwing

I wish but unless people are giving c5 ignitions away for free, I can't possibly afford that. Costs more than my whole bike did.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135167#p135167:1096app2 said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:53 pm[/url]":1096app2]
it will be like a new bike ... i guess it is just hard to see the value till you experience it

Its not that I don't see the value, its that i dont have the money. Plus it would take months to save that much. I'm disabled living on just about no income.

In the meantime I still have other stuff to buy for this bike. I have no seat at all now, I need fenders for winter, and headlight and stoplight and I just spent the last of this months extra cash for 84 ICU, air filter, turn signals, transistor.

If I put on fenders and false tank and side covers so I can use it in our rainy winters, then I also need or at least want paint.

Plus I already need money I don't have for out of state title transfer, registration, plates and tags. And a license plate holder to put them on.

Already paid for insurance last month when I thought I had it running and driving finally.

Its raining so still no pictures...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135164#p135164:3hducm9f said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42 pm[/url]":3hducm9f]
why not do the super thing to do and just c5 it .. i am assuming you have 1100 cams in this bike ...if you get 1000 cams for it and c5 it you will have world class ignition second to nothing on the planet...i could not be more happy to have an ignition as good as the motor is ...with the single carb deal and c5 you will a superwing
1000 cams will require enlarging valve reliefs in piston tops.

good point V sheesh... :smilie_happy: .... i know what you mean 83gi1200 i have basically no income LOL....so i am guessing you have 84 motor rear ignition thats great all you need is rear iggy and what ever might be missing on the 1100 ignition ...so need to look at all things on 1100 ignition ....

i do think 78-79 1000 cams would work ...but sure not 75-77 cams :Doh2: :hihihi:

Maybe we can round up everything you need to get this thing running.
I have 2- 1100 ignition housings I could piece together to make one good one. I don't have a good vacuum advance, those are notoriously bad.

Put together a list what you need. The wiring diagram for your year would help. Follow that closely then we can go from there.

I just had a thought (uh oh).

The 1200 rear pickups are 4 wire just like the 1100.
I have both here.
I bet you could wire in the 1200 pickups you have into your 1100 wire harness and it would run as long as you have the 2 spark units.
This would be a first as far as I know and I bet it would run. You wouldn't have any vacuum advance but so what, I never had a working one in the 20k miles on mine.

I just looked, the 1100 and 1200 4 wire plug are the same so this should be a simple deal as long as you have the 2 spark units.
Take that icu out of the equation all together is what I would do.

I would be surprised if 1100 heads bolted on without valve reliefs in the pistons as their cams are close to early 1000 cams. It's the location of the valves that is different on the 1200. The 1200's are more towards the center of the Pistons, the 1000/1100's are more towards the rings. I think the angles they open at is different as well. I knew you had an odd duck when you first posted. Too bad there's so much trying to figure out what you have.

The harder you work at it , the greater the satisfaction when you figure it out.

Keep at it,you'll have something a little different,& you'll be a little smarter & able to help others :yes:

eric i am rather sure he has 1100 cams in it now ..the heads are for sure .. could be pistons are cut out...maybe not .. and cams could be 1000 with the stem off ...several have gone that route ....taking valve covers off and looking is really only way to find out

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135188#p135188:43zsmjo7 said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:04 pm[/url]":43zsmjo7]
eric i am rather sure he has 1100 cams in it now ..the heads are for sure .. could be pistons are cut out...maybe not .. and cams could be 1000 with the stem off ...several have gone that route ....taking valve covers off and looking is really only way to find out

I took the valve covers off after the sand in coolant passages issue and rusty exploded water pump bearings had me flushing the engine with diesel and a pond pump. I couldn't see any markings on the cams. I posted a pic of that before asking if anyone could tell which cams these are,, but didn't get an answer. Here is that picture, can you tell which cams are here? Also including some other pics to show engine, might narrow the year down they are high res enough to zoom in and get a good look.

Thanks for all the help and any parts you guys can spare I would really appreciate it. I don't need fenders or a seat bad enough to make it worth shipping those big things, technically the fenders that were on this could keep me dry, they just need a lot of cosmetics to make paint worthy. More cosmetics than im probably capable of with some complex curve bondo work needed. I could use them as is for now,.but the little things would really help like 1100 ignitor and crank sensor and wiring harness and coil pack. I can pay back shipping when I resell the new 1200 cdi I won't be using. Many thanks again, that will help a lot.

I'll have to look over the bike tomorrow to be sure, but right now the only other items I really need that wasn't already mentioned are the plastic throttle grip part. Mine is cracked lengthwise and doesn't feel safe to hold me on the bike. And it would probably be smart to have a horn button, mine has the pushbutton switch but the outer button isn't there. Ok in summer with bare fingers, but I might not be able to push the bare switch with gloves on.

I stuck a small driving light on for a headlight, not sure if it will be bright enough yet, havent hooked it up yet, but long term should probably have something larger and brighter with high and low beam. I would need headlight mounting ears to put on a regular light also though.

I think that's all.

I can strap something to the bike for a temporary seat. I had a stock seat, traded it to a guy for a cafe seat, but then after putting the cafe seat on the bike it just wasn't going to look right, too big, so sold it. Its the money from the cafe seat that bought this last round of parts including new 1200 ICU which I guess I won't be using...

Attachments

• IMG_20140824_170643.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170643.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20140824_170623.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170623.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20140519_184224.jpg
    IMG_20140519_184224.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20140519_182128.jpg
    IMG_20140519_182128.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20140912_172532.jpg
    IMG_20140912_172532.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 78
I am no expert, but I have never seen a tach cable cover like that. I wouldn't know if the 84 had that. Someone was having a lot of fun with this and must have given up. I definitely want to read about this one coming to life. What a puzzle!! Was the PO's initials JD. I know he wouldn't have given up on it.

Found this from Roncar, of course,
" The 75-77 cams are not marked. The 78-79 cams have '431' on them on the opposite side as the 'LH' or 'RH' markings (1100's have '463'.) "
I believe the followers have to come off to see the numbers. There! Something else to do. lol

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=135203#p135203:pkztdchv said:
ekvh » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm[/url]":pkztdchv]
I am no expert, but I have never seen a tach cable cover like that. I wouldn't know if the 84 had that. Someone was having a lot of fun with this and must have given up. I definitely want to read about this one coming to life. What a puzzle!! Was the PO's initials JD. I know he wouldn't have given up on it.

No, title shows po as g.w. bass out of Wa state. The guys I bought it from knew nothing. They resold it to me after seeing it needed too much work.

Other experts have also said they've never seen that type of tach cover, its a mystery. It doesn't look home made, looks like a production cast part, but there is no manufacturer name or numbers I can see.

I'm not ready to take anything apart in the heads yet, I don't have a feeler guage to reset things ATM.

Where along the cam is the rh/lh mark? If I knew specifically where to look like 2" from front of cam, maybe I could spot it with more careful inspection while still assembled. I have to turn the engine with plugs out and look at the same time and could have easily missed a marking before because I don't know where to look.

hmmmmm well now this is something ...tach drive drive oic makes this mystery bigger ...for noe thing the tach drive on any 1000 or 1100 cam will not fit in this housing what so ever cause of the fuel pump drive ....its very possible these are custom cams from a after market supplier or custom made by previous highly skill and tooled owner.....or whatever the cams are if honda had to have the fuel pump drive cut off back to tach drive and a custom or maybe tack drive from from what ever bike use ...that had same drilling ti attach to head.....if you take the plugs out and the timing belt cover are off like in pic you can rotate motor easy enough to see the cam numbers ...there on the rear side of the middle cam bearing holder in the shaft before the cam lobe starts ...

its most diffinitly a 1200 motor i seen the oil dip stick....but i couldnt make out weather it was 84 1200 from pics ..couldnt see the rear ignition housing ...we have to know that for sure 83 gl1200 ....from the work i see this was armature at all ... if had to money or some other deal that killed this project ...this is very interesting bike do not give up ...and we will push this through to its completion ...there is some great work here just not quite finished ... :mrgreen:

Latest posts