smoke coming out of ignition module?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the reason that i didn't send you pick up's ,that came from my old 80 engine, when i installed the 83 engine.. it had no spark!! i removed the engine again and put the pick up's from the adv unit i sent to you. I won't make the mistake again of not testing the ign. system before putting the engine in the bike! :roll:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136130#p136130:6q0a5hxk said:
83gl1200 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 pm[/url]":6q0a5hxk]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135897#p135897:6q0a5hxk said:
sgq700 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:07 pm[/url]":6q0a5hxk]
forgot to give ya your tracking # for usps 9114999944313299813556 :whistling:

It arrived yesterday, thank you.
Dan, here's a picture of the parts he sent.
file.php
Looks like you need just the pickups and cover.

Is it still the plan then to bring it back to 1100 ignition and wiring?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136136#p136136:gd461e4j said:
dan filipi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:36 am[/url]":gd461e4j]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136130#p136130:gd461e4j said:
83gl1200 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 pm[/url]":gd461e4j]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135897#p135897:gd461e4j said:
sgq700 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:07 pm[/url]":gd461e4j]
forgot to give ya your tracking # for usps 9114999944313299813556 :whistling:

It arrived yesterday, thank you.
Dan, here's a picture of the parts he sent.
file.php
Looks like you need just the pickups and cover.

Is it still the plan then to bring it back to 1100 ignition and wiring?

Yes 1100 ignition and wiring. What about the shaft?
Do you have the electrical connectors for the ignitors? If not, I think I need to track some down because I'd rather not hack up these new ignitors wiring.
What will I need to set the timing with new parts installed, just a timing light? I can rent that, anything else?

Timing should be set just installing the parts. There really is no adjustment there save a little leeway on the vac advance.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136152#p136152:19dvh3mb said:
slabghost » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 am[/url]":19dvh3mb]
Timing should be set just installing the parts. There really is no adjustment there save a little leeway on the vac advance.
Oh ok.
That seems odd. I would have thought different cams, heads, and motors would need different timing from stock to run at their peak performance.

While it would be nice to adjust timing some it really doesn't need it to run well. The 1100 ignition was never meant to be adjusted.

well one thing for sure ...when a 1100 ignition is all apart like this ..the timing dose have to be set ... plus your talking taking rear wheel fender off to get at it ..plus you have to be carefull the pin that in the shaft of the 1200 ignition that in there like to fall out ... it happens a lot ....so you are taking on quite the job here big time .... at the factory the ignition is set with the arm that come from the vacume advance device ... when they set set it it is tighten down with bolt that head shears off so you cant mess with ...just some of the dumbest tech ive ever seen ...it is very tricky to set timing ...pulling back and forth on vac advance till it sounds good and scewing it in til canister bottoms right .. and slot is at top for new bolt to cinch it down is what i do ...not easy thing ... i tried to tell you to go with 1200 box and just hook up vac line from carb was easiest way to go ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136194#p136194:zbt3q8e5 said:
joedrum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm[/url]":zbt3q8e5]
well one thing for sure ...when a 1100 ignition is all apart like this ..the timing dose have to be set ... plus your talking taking rear wheel fender off to get at it ..plus you have to be carefull the pin that in the shaft of the 1200 ignition that in there like to fall out ... it happens a lot ....so you are taking on quite the job here big time .... at the factory the ignition is set with the arm that come from the vacume advance device ... when they set set it it is tighten down with bolt that head shears off so you cant mess with ...just some of the dumbest tech ive ever seen ...it is very tricky to set timing ...pulling back and forth on vac advance till it sounds good and scewing it in til canister bottoms right .. and slot is at top for new bolt to cinch it down is what i do ...not easy thing ... i tried to tell you to go with 1200 box and just hook up vac line from carb was easiest way to go ....

I knew about having to remove the wheel and swingarm, that didn't scare me, I've already done that several times on this bike, but loosing a pin inside the motor or adjusting the non adjustable merely by sound didn't get through to me if you said that before. Others said no adjustment.

You've got me reconsidering it.

I have my new cdi on hand and 1500 coils and it won't hurt anything to drop in the new parts and see if they run hot like the old parts or not. If it runs cool with those parts and feels like it might be reliable, then maybe I could see leaving it like that. If the new cdi runs anywhere near as hot as the old one did, I'll feel like i have no choice but to change it to 1100 electronics to have any confidence in the bike being reliable.

I have done so much work and fixed so many things in the hopes this antique will be reliable again, it just seemed to make sense to go with the most reliable setup no matter how much work was involved. Compared to what I've already done modding this bike to single carb etc it still sounds trivial in comparison. Some people reported an easy single carb conversion but my experience with this used carb has been anything but easy, but I still managed to pull it off.

Don't be scared! as Joe said,you may have to set the timing and then you might be good to go! playing with a 1000 a few weeks ago and the bike ran the same with 10 deg before and after where the mark was with a light. these things are not real pickey about timing unless you want to hot rod it! You are not going to hot rod yours as you have a 34pict carb. no big power with that set up.. Joe on the other hand isn't at all happy unless it runs like a raped ape, no bog,no bobble. just play with it and have some fun! no matter what way you go,it will work! the more you tune on it , the more fun you will have(good and bad times) Just stay away from Joe at a red light as he will make you look like you are riding a 750 :blush:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136199#p136199:3r83abtl said:
sgq700 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm[/url]":3r83abtl]
Don't be scared! as Joe said,you may have to set the timing and then you might be good to go! playing with a 1000 a few weeks ago and the bike ran the same with 10 deg before and after where the mark was with a light. these things are not real pickey about timing unless you want to hot rod it! You are not going to hot rod yours as you have a 34pict carb. no big power with that set up.. Joe on the other hand isn't at all happy unless it runs like a raped ape, no bog,no bobble. just play with it and have some fun! no matter what way you go,it will work! the more you tune on it , the more fun you will have(good and bad times) Just stay away from Joe at a red light as he will make you look like you are riding a 750 :blush:

I am hot rodding this bike more than it already was though. Much of it based on Joe's advice.
The 34 pict3 is only temporary until I can afford to make a new and better manifold for the weber 32dft I already bought based on joes suggestion to match what the rest of this bike is capable of. :salute: I started with the vw carb on the idea it would be cheap and easy, and offer me a backup on hand later if I have issues with jetting and adjusting the 2 barrel weber.

When this is done, it should be not too far off of joes modded bike, aside from c5 ignition. And even though I couldn't afford his fancy ignition, I still tried to upgrade the ignition system what little I could by going with the hotter 1500 coils.

Top performance wasn't my goal initially, at first I just wanted it to run, but after finding out what the bike is capable of and after all this work I'd be naturally disappointed with anything less. No bog or bobble will be allowed.

Your advance should already be set with the vacuum advance as it sits in the housing connected to the back plate that rotates.
No need to change that timing, it's close enough.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136202#p136202:2zwdd0g8 said:
dan filipi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:25 pm[/url]":2zwdd0g8]
Your advance should already be set with the vacuum advance as it sits in the housing connected to the back plate that rotates.
No need to change that timing, it's close enough.

Correct me if im wrong, but I think if I have any chance of ending up with a bike that can perform at its best, especially after upgrading to the weber carb on top of all the other mods, this has to be tuned better than stock settings. Close enough doesn't sound anywhere near ideal, only good enough for a stock cruiser.

I'm not kidding about wanting it to perform as close to joedrums bike as is possible. I want every bit of acceleration i can get.Part of the reason his does perform well would be that he can fine tune his timing and get all he can out of custom cams, heads, carb, and manifold. Very different bikes from stock. He says I'll need to fine tune it, I believe he's right.

Then again he's also trying to talk me out of going to gl1100 ignition and vacuum advance, which would have been how I thought I would be able to mechanically tune the timing. But if I stay with the cdi I can't do anything with timing, and now come to find out even with gl1100 parts i would still only be able to adjust the amount of advance not the baseline timing, So I'm confused.

The only real tunable ignitions will be the c5 or the 1000. The curve on the 1000 can be advanced over the the entire curve the c5 can be advanced along any points in the curve. 1100 or 1200 curves can be advanced some with some ingenuity. Advancing ignition alone only goes so far. Next step will be advancing cams and ignition. We haven't yet gotten all the performance possible from these motors but we are getting there.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136215#p136215:1tf5yr0d said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am[/url]":1tf5yr0d]
The only real tunable ignitions will be the c5 or the 1000. The curve on the 1000 can be advanced over the the entire curve the c5 can be advanced along any points in the curve. 1100 or 1200 curves can be advanced some with some ingenuity. Advancing ignition alone only goes so far. Next step will be advancing cams and ignition. We haven't yet gotten all the performance possible from these motors but we are getting there.

I guess that's why Joe said to go with c5 ignition from the start, i had never heard of an engine that you couldnt adjust timing on so i didnt get why that was so important.

I guess close enough will have to be close enough for now.

I have the old coils out and am going to try to finish installing the new coils and cdi today and see how hot she runs.

Read the Jyd build and listen to the vids. It still doesn't have a C5 and runs very nice. C5 is on order for it though.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136249#p136249:1d0wprza said:
83gl1200 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:29 am[/url]":1d0wprza]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136215#p136215:1d0wprza said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am[/url]":1d0wprza]

I guess that's why Joe said to go with c5 ignition from the start, i had never heard of an engine that you couldnt adjust timing on so i didnt get why that was so important.

I have the old coils out and am going to try to finish installing the new coils and cdi today and see how hot she runs.
Well let me know how you make out on this.
If your good then I'll hold on to the parts for someone that's stuck and can't do without a running bike for transportation.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136307#p136307:26zjxf77 said:
dan filipi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 am[/url]":26zjxf77]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136249#p136249:26zjxf77 said:
83gl1200 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:29 am[/url]":26zjxf77]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136215#p136215:26zjxf77 said:
slabghost » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am[/url]":26zjxf77]

Well let me know how you make out on this.
If your good then I'll hold on to the parts for someone that's stuck and can't do without a running bike for transportation.

Ok. I didn't get to it yesterday, and today is my birthday so naturally no time to myself today... Maybe this weekend.

Weeks later...

She's up and running with the new cdi and new cbr/1500 coils. Not running perfect yet, I think #4 cyl is missing intermittently, have to do more troubleshooting, but the day after my birthday mom came home from the adult care facility she's been in since major back surgery. I'm doing full time caregiver work for mom since and haven't had hardly any time for stuff like this. And we no longer have internet access, had to cut that expense, so don't expect quick replies.

But I just wanted to say happy holidays and give an update and say thanks again, it wouldnt be running at all if it weren't for all your help.

Congratulations. I know the burden of full time care. I used dial up for internet up until this year. If you can spare $10 a month and be a bit patient that works. Intermittent miss might just be a bad plug wire.

Latest posts