Something is trying to tell me something,

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88905#p88905:td4dzsqe said:
backlander » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 am[/url]":td4dzsqe] I just stood there looking at it, thinking about having to take everything apart that I just recently spent about four days putting back together, bags, wrap around bumper and lights, hitch, caliper, axle. I'm about ready to get naked. This sucks.

Are you sure you want to patch the side of a tire? Am I missing something, isn't the nail into the sidewall?

But Please DON'T GET NAKED the image is burned into my mind like a Sci-Fi movie ..

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Ok I won't get naked, (I was talking about the bike going naked). That was a good one. No, the nail is actually right at the upper roll over part of the tread so it should be OK. The Stop-n-Go patch plugs are all rubber, no fiber cord is used. I wouldn't attempt a sidewall repair. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

I always carry a plug kit for emergencies, I think that you would have to be unlucky to have one fail :beg:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88968#p88968:bnuzhtlx said:
slabghost » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:40 pm[/url]":bnuzhtlx]Looks like a fine choice!

I dunno this puncture is pretty high up on the tread, take the tire (or the picture you posted) to any manufacturer and I am certain they will tell you the damaged area is well outside of the permitted repair area check out the website below

https://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_mai ... re_repair/

Read the stop and go's own website you will find the disclaimers albeit hidden (read item #7). https://www.stopngo.com/pages/FAQ.html you will see even they recommend using these plugs as a temporary measure and the tire should be replaced as soon as possible.

Very surprised anyone would recommend this tire be repaired..

I do not "recommend" anyone patch or plug a motorcycle tire. However if they choose to do so I think this is the best way. I wouldn't want to redo all the work there to change the tire nor would I be inclined to replace a tire with good tread on the rear. I might even chance plugging a front tire on a bike "only used by me". That said. Many take other risks I would not.To each his own.

I love my top quality tires on my CBR1000s that sometimes see 240kph (150mph) but not everyone does that on their bikes. I have seen more people ride bikes on old tires and badly worn tires than you can poke a stick at. Don't get me started on Darksiding ( except to say that it is illegal in Oz). I believe a well placed repair on MC tire is fine if the operator is fully aware of the situation. I think in your circumstance Mike I would be prepared to risk a repaired tire so as not to be disheartened by your build process. I would also not be surprised if the repaired tire fails at an in opportune time and possibly makes life difficult.
I would program in the future to replace the rear tire as soon as possible. :good:

Personally I would never patch a motorcycle tire. While its probably safe, I would never bet my life (or the life of my passenger on it). I am cheap, but not that cheap.

Also if you have a way to raise the bike up, you don't need to take anything off to change the tire. This is how I do it on the farm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373849243272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373849243272.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89098#p89098:6wdbzx3u said:
mickster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 pm[/url]":6wdbzx3u]Personally I would never patch a motorcycle tire. While its probably safe, I would never bet my life (or the life of my passenger on it). I am cheap, but not that cheap.

Also if you have a way to raise the bike up, you don't need to take anything off to change the tire. This is how I do it on the farm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
file.php

Frickin awesome!

~O~

that works for an 1100 but my 1200 I either had to drop the final drive or (I elected to) drop the mufflers to get the wheel off. Even so it still came off in a hurry

Actually I place a jack just ahead of the center stand that lifts the front tire enough to remove it, I then lower it onto a block which lifts the back end up in the air. At this point I remove the rear tire and as I mentioned with a 1200 (my 1200) I have to either remove the final drive or the mufflers to drop the wheel enough to remove, replace and re-install the back tire and after that I re-install the front - actually doesn't take that long.

It just keeps getting better and better. I ordered the Stop N Go Patch Plugger and it took eight days to get here. I removed this nail
IMG02214-20130723-0913.jpg
from this new tire and plugged the hole according to the directions. Attempted to air the tire up three times and it would only pump up to about twenty pounds, so I got to checking and found that the nail went into the tread, angled outward and punched a hole into the sidewall right above the bead line at the rim. :Awe: Could anybody, anywhere, have any better luck than I have. The tire is ruined and that nail that someone so irresponsibly let fall onto a highway has cost me over a hundred dollars, a trip to joe's for the meet and greet after spending 12 months getting ready to go and now I got to tear this thing apart-----again. :builder: Makes's me sick. :crying:

By the way, the plug wasn't leaking. :swoon:

Son of a :sensored: sea biscuit! Sorry to hear this Backlander. Wish you could find a way to still make it. Stupid nail :sensored: :sensored: :sensored:

Man I couldn't cause that much damage with a single nail if I tried. Maybe there is something along the way it's best you miss?

all right go sit down I know your mad ...maybe this can be worked out ...its good to know this tire is garbage ..

you have prepared so hard and well ...don't let this take you out without fighting

I was reading this start to finish , I have Sold and Fixed more tires than you would ever believe , and I was gonna say , it looked like the Nail had went up the side of that tire , you NEVER want to repair the sidewall of a tire anyway , because everytime it rolls over the sidewall will Flex a little , a Lot more than the Bottom of a tire , and a Lot More than you would ever think , and once the sidewall is Damaged there really is NO fixing the tire , this might be a Blessing that it won't hold air , might have saved your life and you never even thought about it . I know sometimes Blessings are hard to see or understand , but another tire is a lot cheaper and less painful , than a Hospital stay , or . . . a Funeral . there is no such thing as a LITTLE Motor Cycle Wreck , I have had several , and already 4 Back Surgeries to show for it .

:crying: :Awe: Someone needs one of these...

I know the frustration of having a new tire punctured like that.....it SUX! :rant: